LegacyGT.com

Slack's 6mt Swap Thread (another one!)

slacks

I have seen the DCCD pro and am looking to use their setup. Just deciding on the manual controller or the universal controller.... :] What do you run?

Don't buy the manual one. The guy selling them even says not to.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any particular reason? ???:confused:

Because (unless you only plan on drag racing) you will have to disengage the DCCD every time you turn. Then re-engage it every time you accelerate in a straight line when you would otherwise spin out the rear. It would be a huge pain after a while.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Because (unless you only plan on drag racing) you will have to disengage the DCCD every time you turn. Then re-engage it every time you accelerate in a straight line when you would otherwise spin out the rear. It would be a huge pain after a while.

That makes sense... i figured it would be less suitable for DD'ing :p

I have the automatic one, but haven't hooked it up yet. I've been running with the DCCD wires disconnected (open diff) with no issues. In fact I really like the way it handles and I'll probably leave it off most of the time (or at least, turned way down) even when I do get it hooked up.

I haven't driven on snow this way though, and I'm pretty sure that would suck.

Yeah the dccd would just act as a viscous coupling if not hooked up to anything... the automatic model is definitely tempting though since the rest of the swap is considerably inexpensive.

And snow driving would be as much fun as a regular 5mt... desiring more :p

good stuff on getting the parts in slacks! get her built and let's go to atco!

I'm so down for 6k clutch dumps at atco! Especially since this was thrown on too..

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Slacks/fmic.jpg

I should be ordering the DCCD unit from another nasioc member tonight or tomorrow and assuming it's in good shape when i take it apart then the trans will be swapped in hopefully the next two weeks in time for some good atco nights!

Rebuild is looking good. I wish i could afford a 6mt swap at the moment for my gimped 5mt that cant downshift or shift at high rpm. Even though subaru says its the flywheel. I think the only time I'd dump the clutch is in rain. I just think somethigs going to give. But ill launch it all day at 5.5k with my launch control and just feather it a smidge. Still gets a little bit of rubber :) and throws my woofer box against my trunk.

I have the manual only because I needed a way to control the dccd to run my car on a dynojet. The 40/60 split was causing havic. I actually prefer to drive the car on the 40/60 split and only lock it down when going on a dyno.

Interesting, makes me wonder how much of a benefit is to be had from setting up aftermarket 5eat center diff control with the 47/53 split if some of you guys are happier with the thrill of less lock.

Well I've located a DCCD unit from another scooby tech in florida for $500 shipped! Other than that I'm only waiting on my shift knob to come in the mail :p

It'll be reassembled next week, reseal the rear differential and ready to install the next week.

I'll have to wait to wire in the DCCD controller until obama gives me my tax return money lol.

Rebuild is looking good. I wish i could afford a 6mt swap at the moment for my gimped 5mt that cant downshift or shift at high rpm. Even though subaru says its the flywheel. I think the only time I'd dump the clutch is in rain. I just think somethigs going to give. But ill launch it all day at 5.5k with my launch control and just feather it a smidge. Still gets a little bit of rubber :) and throws my woofer box against my trunk.

Just find a blown 6mt! (If you can lol). The project so far is still well under the $2000 mark (about $1600-1700 so far) so this is possible to do on a college student/broke tech's budget lol.

The way I'm justifying it is the longer gearing (better mpg's lol), DCCD and the fact that I've known a few people that have blown numerous motors mated to 6mt's and the trans still holds up amazingly strong. :rolleyes:

Shift knob came in and a peek at another goodie from an 08 STI

Center diff and new wiring harness should be here wednesday (old one was butchered by a friend during removal lol)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Slacks/190515_1713021308939_1340340262_31823385_7742407_n.jpg

Save the dates!

Wednesday comes the last of my final orders with a 6mt group-n trans mount, rear shifter bushing, and a few bolts/clips for the reverse lockout.

Thursday is swap day! I took the day off to go in and bang out the swap minus any dccd controller pieces. I'll do my best to document comparisons between parts like the driveshafts, shift linkage and converting the rear lgt axles to accommodate the R180 rear!

Cheers until then!

• 2 weeks later...

So the swap was performed yesterday with minor setbacks!

The trans came out no problem (had it out last year anyway lol) and getting it in was much tighter than expected since this thing is so much bigger.

The driveshaft was from an auto 05-09 4EAT legacy sedan which went in no problem as well. The shift linkage was from a 2008+ STI which fit PERFECTLY so that WILL work. Just be sure to check your reverse lockout cable in case it comes close to the driveshaft (makes a funny noise lol).

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Slacks/0414011652.jpg

Here's where the problem was.... according to many SOA catalogs the part numbers for the actual axle shaft in the rear was the same from all legacy/outback platforms regardless of transmissions. So I had the inner DOJ kits to rebuilt the axles to fit.... unfortunately this did not work. As seen in the picture below the races were two different sizes and much bigger than that of my OEM 05 LGT axles. I was able to reassemble the joint but everything was so loose it wasn't worth putting it in the car.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Slacks/0414010923_0001.jpg

As a result I had to get a vor axle purchase from the westhampton parts warehouse... so $600+ later the axles worked a lot better.

From that point on it was all gravy getting the massive new rear diff in the car. The mounting studs that run from on top of the differential to the crossmember were a little but shorter but still work.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Slacks/0414011419.jpg

I also installed the group-n transmission mount for 6mt, rear shifter bushing, torque solutions pitch stop and techna-fit ss clutch line; this trans barely moves in the car. I haven't beaten on it yet (letting the clutch break in more) but it feels incredibly solid... it outweighs the obnoxious 1st and 2nd gear noises!

Now for some misc pictures of things...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Slacks/0414011235.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Slacks/0414010923a.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Slacks/0414011405.jpg

Thanks guys! So far everything is awesome except for the fact that i have a shudder on lower speed acceleration so I might have placed the ring gear too close to the pinion. Time to tinker with that situation now lol.

Archived