LegacyGT.com

Bump stops - Necessary?

I have a 1990 Legacy L AWD Wagon and I noticed that the bump stop on my Driver side front strut was disintegrated when I started hearing the dust shield jump when I went over bumps and I was wondering just how important they really are. Do I need to put one back on?

What's the process?

- Spring compressor on spring.

- Remove top nut and top hats.

- Remove dust shield and put new bump stop on.

- Replace everything the way it came off?

Keep in mind that I take this car offroad often, which is why I am assuming the bump stop got destroyed and I'm assuming the other one's bad as well :/

Is there any way to check a shock if it's not on the car?

They mostly just keep the strut from causing itself damage by limiting travel. Unless those struts are new I am 99.9% sure they're already blown. You might as well just cut them off. If you're worried about bottoming the car out on bumps you should replace the bump stop, otherwise just take them both off and leave it.

The combination bump stop/dust boot is a commonly used alternative to regular dust boots and bump stops. I didn't know they made them for the Subaru but I did have a pair on the Pathfinder before I replaced the struts.

The sad fact of the matter is that they don't sell boots or bump stops that last. They just don't make them. If you can find the polyurethane ones they will work fine and outlast the rubber ones ten fold, but they will eventually crack and split just like anything else.

I don't think I've ever been able to reuse a single boot/bump stop I've ever had to remove. Hopefully you'll have better luck than me.

Yeah :/ I found some stock ones off a junk Legacy, but they're the orangish kind that just turn to mush after a while. I guess I can just throw those on and hope for the best. They should last me a few years. They look to be in decent shape compared to what fell off of there. I found there's two different styles though. One is orangish and made of what looks like a compact foam and has 3 bumps all of equal diameter and the other is yellow and maybe a plastic/rubber thing it had 3 bumps that stack on top of each other. Hard to explain haha I guess I'll just throw the tougher looking one on there and hope for the best.

Do the bump stop/dust boots last for a while? Is it going to tear apart under a couple trips to the trails?

Archived