LegacyGT.com

Locking/Unlocking Doors

What is the best and safest way to open and lock the door if its only you getting in/out of the car. I've been using my key hole to open and lock. Should I use the remote or continue using my key? If I do use the remote and its only me should I unlock all doors or unlock just drivers door because if I only unlock the drivers door and when I get out and lock the car it locks the 3 other doors that are already locked. I just want it to work and last a long time with no problems! What the best way to do this?

I don't mind using the remote. I've used it hundreds of times when I'm by myself or when I have passengers. I just like to know what the best thing to do when its just you getting in/out and would you unlock all 4 doors or just your door. If you unlock only your door and get out to lock the door you lock the other doors that were still locked when using the remote. So should you unlock all doors or only yours or use the key hole? I just don't want any problems done the road! I've seen many cars and I'm sure you've seen cars with problems unlocking and locking doors. You would have to open it manually like in the old days because the power doesn't work or something and its embarrassing to have your passengers stand there and wait for you to open the door manually. I have no problems using any method. I just like to know what the best way is when its just you!

it doesnt matter if you lock unlock all for or just driver side. when the car gets old enough the side you used less might not work or the driver side might not work. even tho i get in the by myself i sometimes unlock all doors with the remote or press the lock button more then once to make sure. your remotes life battery isnt going to last forever and your door lock doesnt last forever either so use it while it works. there is not best way just a personal choice/habit thats all.

Wow, that's some pretty deep thinking about power door locks. IMO, there is no best way or efficient way. 9 times out of 10, it's just me in the car and I just hit the remote once to unlock the driver's door.

I unlock all doors by pressing once. Your configuration may vary.

453747.png

This is some seriously deep thinking about unlocking doors lol. With the subject I thought OP was going to ask about underground parking garages and the beeping going along with the flashes or something. How do you sleep at night with these door issues?

I have heard that if you live in a bad area, it's safer to unlock just the drivers door and then lock it again once your inside.

Me, I could leave the keys in my car and not lock the house either.

If your worried about your safety....Move.

I have used the power locks of years I don't worry about it. Like others have said I think the key hole is a virgin. I have owned this car since new.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have heard that if you live in a bad area, it's safer to unlock just the drivers door and then lock it again once your inside.

I believe this is why most cars behave in the one press one door two presses all doors manner. On my '05 Impreza I jumped a wire under the dash so I could open all doors with one press, then used the second pulse to power a relay for a trunk release :cool:

Honestly OP, as many have already mentioned, the car is designed to withstand these tolerances. Honestly it always seems to me that the locks least used in a car tend to stick, so maybe unlocking them all occaisionally isn't bad idea.

Either way, worrying about when your locks may go out should be the least of your worries. I'd say there are plenty of owners on here with 10+ yr old Suby's still rocking OEM locks and actuators.....

Archived