LegacyGT.com

Promising Sti Indicator

Given that Suby has introduced an Sti Forester, in Japan that sends all the right signals for a future Legacy Sti, why are so many posters worried that Suby does’nt get it? Brembo brakes, six speed, 25% increase in torque, stiffer suspension, great colors, what’s not to love? Why don’t we think that the Sti Forester is a clear sign of what is to come? Suby sales numbers are better than ever. I am a passed BMW owner and I love my first Suby LegGT/Ltd wagon with MT and 18 inch Prodrive wheels. I hope Suby drops the LegGT/Sti bomb about the time I hit 45k miles on my LegGT so I can trade up for the Leg/Sti/wagon. I do hope they offer a killer audio upgrade and a better clutch. Looks to me like they have all the right stuff going, with the Forester Sti.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Forester STi is in Japan. I haven't seen any information stating it's coming our way (but I haven't been looking) and I thought that the Forester had an STi version a few years ago (maybe not). Not that I wouldn't welcome an STi Legacy, I just don't see it in the immidiate future. How many STi's are being sold each year right now? If numbers are off from what was originally projected, I wouldn't expect a Legacy STi at all, if numbers are higher than were projected, it could be a real possibility.

Why not an STI Legacy? Its not like Subaru sell 800,000 of anything. They seem to be a nitch marketer anyway. How many Subaru Legacy STI's would they have to move to make sense? They sell WRX STI right? I'd bet they could sell more Leg STI than WRX STI's. Because they woul be dealing with a more grownup market. Say come in at 35k. Dont you think?

There was an STi Forester since '98. There's been a Forester for each chassis change. From '98-'00, '01-'02, '03-'05, and '06.

So it's been out for 7 years and there's nothing to come for the Forester yet.

When it comes to paying $30k there's much more cars to choose from. An STi version would really interest current owners or enthusiasts.

The JDM Forester Sti is not a promising indicator of anything for the US. They had the JDM Forester Sti last year and we didn't get it. They already announced the 06 US Forester specs which include a slightly upgraded Forester XT with no mention of any additional models to come. Besides, the 06 US Forester has been raised to throw it in the light truck category. I don't think you'd want an Sti sitting high enough to be called a truck.

There was an STi Forester since '98. There's been a Forester for each chassis change. From '98-'00, '01-'02, '03-'05, and '06.

So it's been out for 7 years and there's nothing to come for the Forester yet.

When it comes to paying $30k there's much more cars to choose from. An STi version would really interest current owners or enthusiasts.

Your probaly right the majority of car buyers dont see Subaru yet as a player (maybe someday)

It is unlikely that the Legacy STI would come to the US because Subaru doesn't have a huge market like it does in Japan. Most of its customers in the US buy a Subaru because it's got the essential basics, AWD, practical, reliable and a good bang for your buck.

Just look at the responses to the Higher Performance Legacy Survey on NASIOC. Most of the respondents want alot for a price that just doesn't have a high enough profit margin for Subaru especially with the model being a limited production run. I don't think they can just import the Legacy STI from Japan they have to research and develop US-specific systems, advertise, etc, which is an investment they may or may not recoup.

Also, Subaru is not at the level of BMW, Acura, Lexus or Merc in the US and therefore it can't really charge a high premium for a higher performance Legacy model.

Sorry to put your hopes down.:(

Edit: Niche market plus frugal customers.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

Also, Subaru is not at the level of BMW, Acura, Lexus or Merc in the US and therefore it can't really charge a high premium for a higher performance Legacy model.

Sorry to put your hopes down.

Edit: Niche market plus frugal customers.

Bingo! Someone in the market for an M3 or S4 wouldn't really be pulled toward the Legacy STi. This market represents people who want flash and overt bragging rights. Legacy buyers usually want neither; most enjoy the subdued nature of the Subaru marque. For the few of us that would enjoy pounding some punk in a Corvette at a traffic light or on the drag strip, we can do so by building our own version of the STi through the aftermarket.

- "I've worked with better, but not many."

Bingo! Someone in the market for an M3 or S4 wouldn't really be pulled toward the Legacy STi. This market represents people who want flash and overt bragging rights.
That's basically what the S4 used to represent you know. Still it's hard for people to tell it apart.

Let me restate my comment about the relationship between the Nippon Forester Sti and a future Leg/Sti.

First, I do not expect any major upgrade of the LegGT until 07 or 08. If the LegGT numbers are strong and if Subaru wants to move Sti into a broader, more mature, more affluent market, the LegGT is the obvious option.

Second, I was trying to make the point that Subaru has all the right bits in their parts bin and have shown an attractive, tested combo of those parts in the Forester Sti. I do not want a Forester, but I would trade in my LegGT wagon for a Leg/Sti ,with the Forester Sti package.

I have owned BMWs and Benz roadsters and I could have bought another Uber Machine, but I bought a Leg/GT and do not regret it. Maybe I am not typical, but I care about fun, not braging rights. My wife drives a Range Rover and I enjoy driving the LegGT much, much more. I also enjoy it when people in my very snooty community say what a great looking car, what the hell is it. Maybe I am not typical. I hope Suby delivers a Leg/Sti and keeps the BMW crowd asking why.

Will Subaru deliver a Leg/Sti in NorAm? Only the Suby business plan and marketing guys know the numbers, but I think the power/performance trend is on a roll, industry wide. Suby and the Japanese are not the only ones delivering more economical, torque toys.

If we get a Leg/Sti, I think it will be a package similar and better than the Forester Sti. Thus my comment about a promising “indicator”.

Maybe I am not typical, but I care about fun, not braging rights.

Not everyone who buys an M3 or an SLK is looking to be gawked at, but many of them are. I couldn't agree with you more about the "fun" part. The most fun is spanking some jerk in a modified E46 and knowing you did it in a classy car that cost 10-20 grand (or more) less than theirs.

That's basically what the S4 used to represent you know.

Yep, its a shame, the S4 used to be a real sleeper.

- "I've worked with better, but not many."

I'd thought B4 stands for Boxer 4 too, but I think B4 would make sense in stating that it's a sedan not a wagon. Cause that's where you see the B4 designation on the sedan only and there's a B4 3.0R so it can't mean the engine maybe 4WD drive cause I know they haven't always said All Wheel Drive.

B4 is saying it's a sedan. There's an Legacy STi and Legacy Blitzen. They should bring the Blitzen over than the STi.

While purchasing my 05 Legacy GT L last week (traded in my +300 AWHP STi for it:mad: ..the ride FINALLY got to me) I happened to catch the manager on the phone with the regional rep and overheard the word "B2".

After he got off the phone I asked him if he didn't mind my prying into the phone coversation and he said no problem.

Come to find out, they were discussing the next iteration of the Legacy. What was discussed is the following:

1. The NA version of the legacy will be going by-by, and only the GT version will be offered.

2. The new top platform offered for the Legacy will be a B2 model, with the following new items:

a. 18 wheels, manufacturer unknown at this point (likely BBS)

b. Nav system

c. Appropriate interior/exterior badging.

No performance upgrades were stated:mad: , but I find it hard to believe that with all of the potential HP sitting on the table with the available platform that SOA doesn't tweak it a bit. Just a simple thing like using the STi DP would do wonders. Now if they could just use the same intake and turbo...life would be sweeter.

Anyway...thats my tidbit for the day. Yeah..I know...minimal posts here, so you might find it hard to swallow, but I'm a scoob owner from way back, having owned 2 SVXs, 2 WRXs (one a spec C grey market in the UK) an STi, and now the Legacy. Also, just to say hi from clubwrx.net, where I like to fool the masses as a moderator for the STi, New Member Hangout, and Drag Racing forums.:lol:

I hope to learn a lot about the L in my time here!!

~Scott

stock LGTLtd (for now)

ps..and I thought prices for STi parts were expensive...man..the L has it beat hands down!!!

While purchasing my 05 Legacy GT L last week (traded in my +300 AWHP STi for it:mad: ..the ride FINALLY got to me) I happened to catch the manager on the phone with the regional rep and overheard the word "B2".

After he got off the phone I asked him if he didn't mind my prying into the phone coversation and he said no problem.

Come to find out, they were discussing the next iteration of the Legacy. What was discussed is the following:

1. The NA version of the legacy will be going by-by, and only the GT version will be offered.

2. The new top platform offered for the Legacy will be a B2 model, with the following new items:

a. 18 wheels, manufacturer unknown at this point (likely BBS)

b. Nav system

c. Appropriate interior/exterior badging.

No performance upgrades were stated:mad: , but I find it hard to believe that with all of the potential HP sitting on the table with the available platform that SOA doesn't tweak it a bit. Just a simple thing like using the STi DP would do wonders. Now if they could just use the same intake and turbo...life would be sweeter.

Anyway...thats my tidbit for the day. Yeah..I know...minimal posts here, so you might find it hard to swallow, but I'm a scoob owner from way back, having owned 2 SVXs, 2 WRXs (one a spec C grey market in the UK) an STi, and now the Legacy. Also, just to say hi from clubwrx.net, where I like to fool the masses as a moderator for the STi, New Member Hangout, and Drag Racing forums.:lol:

I hope to learn a lot about the L in my time here!!

~Scott

stock LGTLtd (for now)

ps..and I thought prices for STi parts were expensive...man..the L has it beat hands down!!!

HIGHLY unlikely they are getting rid of the base Legacy. They may get rid of the cloth GT and only offer the limited w/leather, but no way they are getting rid of the 2.5i.

More tales of what the next model will be with no proof if you ask me. I wonder what all these people with the "inside info" are going to do when none of their predictions come true?

Does anyone know the cost of US govt crash testing for the manufacturer? I always thought a big factor in why some niche cars from other countries never make it to the US was because of crash testing. What is the minimum number of cars a manufacturer must sacrifice/destroy through US gov't crash testing? Also, when is the requirement triggered? For example, I assume the creation of a new Legacy model with purely cosmetics changes would not need to undergo new testing. But, if Subaru added the six speed option, would a bunch of those need to be crashed?

Not sure about the Gov crash ratings...

But another BIG factor as to why we don't get certain cars is the bumper rating. The US usually requires much more than many other countries. Not sure on the exact numbers, but i want to say the US is 10mph and many other countries are just 5mph....although i could be way off.

This just requires them to in many cases, re-work a lot of both the front and back ends.

HIGHLY unlikely they are getting rid of the base Legacy. They may get rid of the cloth GT and only offer the limited w/leather, but no way they are getting rid of the 2.5i.

More tales of what the next model will be with no proof if you ask me. I wonder what all these people with the "inside info" are going to do when none of their predictions come true?

Since I was just trying to relay information that was provided to me by a supposedly reliable source, please oh please forgive me. :rolleyes: As for proof...your right...no one asked you.

I wonder what all these people that ignore the "inside info" are going to do when all of the predictions come true. Yep...when put in that light do you really think "all these people" really care what they are going to do? geez...sorry I tried to provide info. You know, sometimes it's more helpful to just say you don't believe something rather than try to shoot the messenger. Please note also, that your post even included a prediction of it's own.

Sorry...guess I just got a little cranky. Buy a new car, check out a forum dedicated to it, pass along info, and get a cheesy reply. Go figure.

Archived