LegacyGT.com

New Clutch....how do they feel??

rock2534

Wish I read this post before I had the same clutch installed. My dealer said it was close to OEM, maybe slightly firmer. Yeah right. I had to move my seat up so I can use my assback as leverage to push that bastard down.

Initial break-in is grabby and shuddering like crazy. I look like a noob shaking and bucking the car at stop lights.

Im so sorry. Im seriously going to PM Mr_hicksta and Tide and see if I can get that exedy review removed so that I can rewrite it now that I have ran more clutches in the Legacy. The Exedy stage1 was at least cheap. I bet you used an Exedy/F1 lwfw too huh? The one thats under 14lbs? Makes shudder really bad. So embarassed over that review.

Look on the bright side, since you are going to have to learn to slip the clutch at much higher rpm (3k+) for smooth take off, it wont last very long. I think mine lasted 20k miles or less. Also, the TOB is a POS and is likely to damage your trans if you are not careful and run it after its worn out. So sorry,

I appreciate that, but you certainly don't need to apologize. I did my homework, but it is difficult when everyone uses relative terms to describe pedal feel. Oh well, better luck next time. I'll probably go back to oem for longevity.

• 2 weeks later...
To update; the exedy HD after a few hundred miles has started to ease up. Pedal is returning to a more believable pressure and engagement is getting to a comfortable distance. Still wants to grumble starting out, but not nearly as bad. Second through sixth are smooth as butter.

• 2 years later...
bleed your clutch everytime you separate the motor and tranny or you can risk having your throw out bearing slightly engaged and burn your clutch out insta, just found out the hard way last week! clutch felt light and engaged near the top, 1/2 pedal stroke before you feel the TO bearing touch, is what i have been told for proper adjustment

I am about 300 miles into an 06 WRX ACT SteetLite flywheel/06 WRX OEM Exedy Clutch combo I just installed (TSK3 as well). I did bleed the clutch and add fresh fluid after install.

The clutch pedal is much lighter than before, I'd say half of the effort as before. The TSK kit is much smoother than the snout was so I think part of the change in pedal pressure may be just that it is easier to slide the throwout bearing on the TSK sleeve.

I do feel some change in engagement point but I've never driven a 06 WRX so there may be some difference in feel between the 06 SMFW/clutch combo and stock DMFW/clutch combo.

I honestly like the way it feels now, much less force to required to put the clutch to the floor and the engagement/disengagement point is not so close to the floor.

Archived