LegacyGT.com

shifty sway bar = bad end links?

c-lo

Last year I replace the bushings on my Cusco sway bar in back. been driving around noticing a "clunky" noise when I go over bumps and stuff. finally got under the car and grabbed the sway bar and was able to move it from side to side through the bushings.

Spoke to this new supplier out of Cali (left name of company at work) and he suggested I check my end links as they could be the source of my clunky noise.

Will check them....however what raised my eyebrow was he stated it's ok for the sway bar to move around inside the bushing.

My understanding of how the bar worked is it was tight in the bushings and unable to move and movement came only from the connection to the end links.

Am I wrong? are my bushings bad?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

can you explain why? I've never had one until now.

should my sway bar be moving in through the bushings when I push/pull on it?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

It can if your bushing is bigger than your bar. Which ones did you use to replace your old ones?

the right ones. Rallitek special ordered them from Cusco for me last year. 21mm bar. fit like a glove then.

Sway bars are designed to move slightly in the mounts, (that's why they give you lube with it) but the movement is intended to be rotational only, not side to side. What can happen on side to side movement is end link bind, or at the extreme, you could rub a tire. I am a little concerned that you can move your sway bar side to side with your hands. I just installed Ralliteks and the mount's were snug, but they do rotate. Any sway bar can "walk" over time. Just install a pair of collars on the bar and you will eliminate the side to side movement, preventing damage. That's why they were invented.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

couple follow up questions

do the collars replace the bushings? trying to picture where they go. thanks for that link, however my sway bar is 21mm in dia. so I assume the one you pruchased will NOT fit my bar.

I'm getting my rotors and pads changed out next tuesday. going to have the mechanic check out my end links because they are original and have 161k on them.

Possible this could be the source of the noise I hear. ?

got it. thanks. now to find a collar for 21mm bars.

Easy enough...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-One-Piece-Clamping-Plating/dp/B002711XR4/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1295783797&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: Climax Metal M1C-21 Steel One-Piece Clamping Collar, Metric, Black Oxide Plating, 21mm Bore Size, 42mm OD, With M6 x 16 Set Screw: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]

Also, you would not want aluminum. Steel + aluminum + salt water = battery....

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived