LegacyGT.com

Low load knock - Pre Infamous1 tune

compsurge

FYI, when I was using the OTS Cobb Stage 2 map, I got knock too, even when I threw on the 91 map and was using 93 gas....

I don't think I saw as much knock as you're seeing but then again, every car and setup is different. I have:

stock intake

AVO TMIC

Invidia UP

Invidia catted DP

SPT CBE

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the latest log is MUCH better than the first set.

I think we are on fairly comparable setups (differences: IPR TMIC, CNT catted DP, and stock CBE). I doubt the differences between them is that large.

I also forgot to mention that I'm running without a heat shield (it fit over my invidia catless DP, but I swapped that out for the CNT catted). I need to get a ptp blanket and modify my heat shield again.

I think I am going to name my car dr. jekyll.

2016.06.12 0:15 is the sound of the bad bearing.

EDIT [2012.06.24] I replaced my center differential transfer drive bearings. The roller bearings were responsible for the noise, and this is a common problem with the 5MT. Subaru has superseded the original parts list twice on the bearing that has failed the most often. It now has a smaller diameter roller bearing set and a larger quantity of them. For information on the fix, NASIOC has a great thread here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2071286. My center differential was fine, as I did not have any binding issues when turning after sustained highway driving.

Here is what mine looked like:

538364_335436503199884_1663376535_n.jpg.a35a1be0dcc4f70f380fdbf98ef61056.jpg

Where was the mic placed? It sounds like it is dieseling or knocking, or even worst a bearing.

It was either on my seat, in the cupholder, or in the cubby above the radio. If it sounded loud, it was probably the recorder (Olympus DS-40) actually hitting stuff/vibrating. The audio may actually be my dash rattle causing the recorder to bounce around now that I think of it - dash rattle is currently half fixed.

I will find my lapel mic and then I can mount that inside the engine compartment and feed it back into the cabin to record without interference.

I drove it about 170 miles on highway without any knock detection and DAM stayed at 1.0

Edit: I listened to the clip again and the "click" is the recorder hitting stuff. I tried to isolate that part with audacity, but I couldn't find the right setting.

Infamous, by bearing are you thinking trans bearing/throwout?

thanks for the brief scare :p

I also forgot to mention on the last tank of gas I added 2 bottles of STP octane booster. It appeared to be happy after a bit with using that mixture.

I filled up with Shell 93 last night in northern DE and had no issue either. I am beginning to strongly suspect gas is not pleasing my car in southern MD.

I'll reset my ECU today and see if that changes. Also, my vag-com arrived so I'll see if I can do some LV tonight or later this week.

thanks for the brief scare :p

I also forgot to mention on the last tank of gas I added 2 bottles of STP octane booster. It appeared to be happy after a bit with using that mixture.

I filled up with Shell 93 last night in northern DE and had no issue either. I am beginning to strongly suspect gas is not pleasing my car in southern MD.

I'll reset my ECU today and see if that changes. Also, my vag-com arrived so I'll see if I can do some LV tonight or later this week.

Can't be any worse than CA/NV/AZ gas (Utah's isn't much better). But keep in mind that you want to be running the gas you'll normally be using when you get your tune. That way you're tuning for the right fuel. So stop using the octane booster so that's all out of the fuel tank when you're logging for your tune.

Understood. The intent is to isolate the root cause (mechanical or tune). I think it's showing to be the gas so far and thus the tune.

The gas I have now is also shown to be a different blend than that in MD by this map (http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Files/US%20Gasoline%20Map%20100102.pdf).

I'll try reset ecu on what I have now, see if issue surfaces again. Then I will try the Shell 93 down here (if correct, the problem should resurface rather soon). Then, I will test sunoco/wawa/sheetz.

Right now, however, I have to focus on getting the furnace to work in this place - it's tumbling around 60°F right now!

I'd try the california gas map, if you haven't already. Not sure where you live, but I'm in New England and in Southern ME, the gas is not good at all. I try to put NH 93 octane in, but the ME gas is like water. I was getting knock on 93 octane with the 91 octane map, and I got all the other fun that goes with it. I never tried the CA gas map, but it probably would have been a step in the right direction. You may have a mechanical issue, but you definitely have a tuning issue.

I have to do an oil change soon, so while it's up on the lift I'll check out all my bushings, the end links, and sways. I'll triple check all the motor/trans mounts as well.

I was reading a thread and m sprank mentioned he had end links that were so badly worn that they were causing the ecu to read it as knock. I hear some noise/sometimes a clunk when going over bumps, but I can't tell if it is normal noise or what.

I'm hard of hearing in high frequency range, so a lot of stuff escapes me. I do know that one of the last times the knock was detected it was right after I had gone over a rather nasty bump. Could just be coincidence.

Max capacity returned a PM after listening to the mp3s and thinks that I have bad trans bearings. This could be the root cause :headdesk: (also what I've been fearing) I'll probably take it to a pro shop north of the DC beltway IAG/Agile/??? to confirm.

If trans bearings are indeed bad I don't think I can justify the cost of rebuilding unless I can do it myself (I have full shop access) and will just swap to a 6MT.

New logs from today after reset (same delaware shell 93 gas, cobb stage 2 91 LC):

*datalogging cut out/ had to reset AP for some reason (buffer overflow?)

datalog85.csv (not at 1.0 DAM)

datalog87.csv (still not at 1.0)

Here is live view:

AF learning first cell was as high as 5.3%

Same Shell 93 gas station (less than half tank of fuel), reflashed the ECU before driving with the Cobb OTS 91 v1.18 LC

These numbers are after I got the IAM to 1.0. It did go back down to 0.7 and then worked back up to 1.0 as I was driving.

Today has been unseasonably warm here (in the 60's today).

Still felt car running rough. Cylinder #4 (that's front of car on passenger side, correct?) area sounds louder at idle.

Also, last night I pulled my TMIC and checked for loose things, found nothing other than a wire semi-pulled out of the harness connector under the TMIC.

I'm going to try to get it looked over at IAG Friday or Saturday, if at all possible.

1161125891_LearningView_SS_2-2-201164015PM.jpg.5e3da2327f9a6752fd8f64c7974a10a0.jpg

LearningView_2-2-2011 6 40 09 PM.csv

Drive around some more and then take another LV. The point of the LV is to see what your car is doing after you've driven it around some....don't reset it and then take the LV as soon as the IAM goes to 1. That's useless. ;)

I reset my ECU last night with the wrong map so I pretty much had to do this. I'll do it later tonight if possible. I figured I needed more data lol. Typically in that time period the knock / "knock" / cylinder #4 piston ring death / blowing up of my engine tends to surface.

The first cell, really isn't a concern, at 4-5% off. 5.6g/s of air is pretty much when your car is at idle. I actually change the parameters, in RomRaider, to 10, 20, 40, 50+, for the respective cells. This makes the info a bit more useful. The larger gapping, between the cells makes dialing the maf in easier, in my opinion.

Archived