LegacyGT.com

Weird engine start up noise (video inside)

hi, i just bought a 96 LGT not long ago, so far, we have done a complete tune up on it, includes plugs and wires, fuel filter. Also it recently has done a HG job on it, includes new timing belt, new thermostat, water pump was new on the car when i bought it.

But i still think the engine starts up with some weird sound. I used to have a 2000 RS, my gf right now has a 99 outback, so i am pretty familiar with a subaru engine sound, but still not as loud as the current one i have.

I have attached a video with the car doing a cold start up. If i could get any feedback, i would deeply appreciate.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUeH15Drb4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUeH15Drb4[/ame]

Another issue, i have also noticed an exhaust weird sound. this video is recorded next to the exhaust pipe, i know there is no picture in the video, but however, it's right next to exhaust pipe. Does it sound like a crack pipe? is it normal

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbbaR8FKKvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbbaR8FKKvs[/ame]

Ahaha holy crap I was just going to make a post about it too. My car makes the same sound too when its very cold. Sounds almost like a mini gas turbine is running in the background. It changes pitch with revs too and is rather faint, but noticeable. No idea what it is.

Ahaha holy crap I was just going to make a post about it too. My car makes the same sound too when its very cold. Sounds almost like a mini gas turbine is running in the background. It changes pitch with revs too and is rather faint, but noticeable. No idea what it is.

I know, it's just not as smooth as my gf's outback. Hers is in very good condition, and runs much smoother..i just can't tell what's wrong.

really need some feedback from experience subaru mechanics or ppl really know subarus.

• I Donated

My air intake makes a high pitch humming noise at idle (sounds like you're blowing into a glass bottle)....

couldn't tell the sound from the video.....sounds like an engine to me...but I don't have the best computer speakers either lol.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

My air intake makes a high pitch humming noise at idle (sounds like you're blowing into a glass bottle)....

couldn't tell the sound from the video.....sounds like an engine to me...but I don't have the best computer speakers either lol.

did you end up fixing it? i think there is some high pitch sound from the engine. maybe from the alternator, it could be something else.

My Brothers Girlfriends Brother Did The Timing Belt On Her 99. Well, He Did Just The Belt And Water Pump. No Pullys. The Car Made A Whineing/Humming/Turbine Kind Of Noise Before The One Pully With The Cogs EXPLODED, Got Crashed Valves, Blah Blah....So Make Sure You Have New Pullys In There Along With The Belt...

Otherwise, New Belts And New Waterpumps Make The Same Kind Of Noise Until I Guess They, Break In? But So Do Other Things With The Accesories, Alt. Power Steering, Idlers, A/C Clutch Pullies, Everything....

So Just Get A Long Screwdriver And Take A Listen Around. See If You Can Pinpoint It A Little Bit...

Just My Two Cents

Oh, after doing some research, i realize now it's a good time to change the idler pulley, while doing the belt. I just had my HG replaced, and the guy did the belt too, but i really doubt it change the pulley. So what's my next step should be?

it it worthy to change those idler pulley, tensioner adjuster now? advice plz

because i just did the HG job with other stuffs (timing belt, thermostat, all the seals and gaskets). Now, the engine is put back and running. Does changing the idler pulley, tensioner adjuster require taking the belt off? so am i looking for a lot of labor?

btw, the car has 166k miles and 4EAT

@camroncamera

i wish i have the tools, time, companys that you do, someone can walk me through a project. I love to fix something like this. However, let's face it. I don't have the space, tool or someone that has the knowledge to do so.

BTW, i think you guys looks brand new, do you mind if i ask you how much it cost you for everything? You can PM me the price. thanks

@camroncamera

i wish i have the tools, time, companys that you do, someone can walk me through a project. I love to fix something like this. However, let's face it. I don't have the space, tool or someone that has the knowledge to do so.

BTW, i think you guys looks brand new, do you mind if i ask you how much it cost you for everything? You can PM me the price. thanks

Tools, place, time, an occasional helper... It's true, you need all those things... time is as big a hurdle as anything else. It always takes me longer to do any one thing than I think it should. I definitely could not do this without online resources (legacygt.com, etc) as well as my independent import FLAPS.

Archived