LegacyGT.com

Sudden high idle problem.

Hi everyone,

So, last night on my way to dinner with a fully warmed up engine, I felt my car sort of "jump" into 4th gear when I shifted as if I was still pressing the accelerator between shifts. Strange.. Whatever... As I came to my next stop light, I pressed in my clutch to find my car now idling at 2,000 to 2,500 RPM! It was VERY cold outside so I figured I'd pull over and make sure nothing under the hood such as the throttle cable or the like was frozen or stuck. Nope. Throttle pedal is also fine... Hrmm... Shut the car off for a few minutes, checked the vacuum lines, MAF wires, air filter, etc... Nothing. Restarted the car, idle went immediately back to 2,000 RPMs!

Due to already being somewhat late to where I was headed, I went ahead and drove the rest of the way to my destination hoping when I returned from dinner I would either have thought of something else that may be causing the problem or that the problem may have "reset" itself (I didn't have my OBDII reader with me) Alas, no change when I start the car after about 2 hours. Still goes immediately to 2,000 RPMs. HOWEVER, as I'm pulling away after a little warm-up time, the car drops to normal idle (around 800 RPM or so) As I drive home, the car jumps to 2,000 and back down to normal on and off over and over. I've noticed if I brake the engine to below about 1,500 RPM coming to a stop it would tend to drop to normal idle RPM. If I don't engine brake, it remains at 2,000.

Also, once the car hits about 3,000 RPM or gets into a little boost, there is absolutely no acceleration at all. The car simply refuses to continue. However, my boost gauge and my BPV are telling me there is plenty of pressure built up. I've looked around online for a while to see that some people blame and MAF, some blame the air filter and some blame the IAC. However, the former two seem to be more related to low idle while the latter may be my problem. I have no CEL and besides the high idle and in-boost failure the car seems to drive fine.

Sorry this post is so long I just wanted to attempt to give as much information as I could. If anyone has any ideas as to what may be the problem I would love to hear it. And, as always, thanks in advance as I'm sure someone will hit the nail on the head and point me in the right direction. :)

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Throttle positioning sensor. I had to replace mine 2 weeks ago because it started to idle at 2000-2500, then got worse after a few days and more constant, then the CEL. Anyways, I would look into that. You can test the sensor first though before you spend the ~$110 to replace it.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll give this a shot today. As far as testing the sensor goes, how would I go about that?

EDIT: Nevermind. DUH. Thanks again for the info!

Hrmm. Replaced the TPS and it's still doing the exact same thing. Any other ideas as to what may be causing this?

I didn't have my volt-o-meter with me so I just took the TPS off my other Gen2 which I know was good and put it on my wagon. Same position and all. Just didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe something inside the housing of the TPS in the throttle body is goofed? *shrugs*

Thanks, Baddog. I've heard that one too so I'm gonna check that out today. I've read that I should replace the little rubber gasket if I open it up though. So, I'm hoping I can find a local place that has them so I don't have to order it.

• I Donated
I would check the idle air control valve. Could be gummed up.

lol thats your answer to everything!

Have a flat tire? Clean the IAC lmao

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

IACV gasket is usually subaru only that I know of.

I took the hose off the intake tubing and sprayed carb cleaner into it and kept doing it. Then I plugged the hose back in after about 20 minutes and started it up.

And yes john. That is my answer haha :p

Well, just replaced the IACV and noticed that I (FINALLY) had access to my rear galley plug! So, I installed my oil pressure sensor while I was at it. :) Unfortunately, I need one more little 1/4" coupler to complete the work so I haven't found out if the IACV was the issue yet. I'll know in a few hours though.

Nope! Same exact thing. 2K+ idle and everything. Absolutely no change. I'm wondering if maybe the MAF got dirty or something. Think that may cause the problem? I do have my filter down in the wheel well to keep it away from the turbo so it does tend to get dirty pretty quick. I might as well clean them both... Anyone have any recommendations for what I should clean the MAF with?

• I Donated

You can buy a can of MAF cleaner at Autozone. Its like 5 bucks for the can. You can find it right by the brake cleaner. I don't think your MAF would cause your problem though.

Hows the throttle position sensor?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Throttle position sensor was just replaced and working fine. However, tonight while I had my OBDII tester with me, there was a report that there was a misfire on cylinder 1 (still no CEL though). Tomorrow I'm going to replace all the spark plugs and the plug wires. If that doesn't help, I'll replace the distributor. I'm really running out of ideas!

• I Donated

There is no distributer on your car. There is a coil pack though.

I had codes for misfire on cyl 1 and 4 due to a faulty o2 sensor in my car awhile back

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Yeah. Sorry. That's what I meant. ;) Do you happen to remember which code(s) you got when you had the faulty O2 sensor? Also, which O2 sensor was it that was bad?

• I Donated
Yeah. Sorry. That's what I meant. ;) Do you happen to remember which code(s) you got when you had the faulty O2 sensor? Also, which O2 sensor was it that was bad?

P0420 was the code for the o2 sensor

and 301 / 304 were the misfire codes if i remember right.

All 3 codes came up

edit - actually there were 4 codes. multipe misfire detected was in there too

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Well, I've cleaned and replaced the MAF and air filter as well with, of course, no change. The knock sensor will have to wait until tomorrow although I can't really see that being my problem. I thought perhaps one of my PP SMT6 wires came loose or something so I looked at all that stuff and everything looks fine.

I've also taken my car to 3 different Subaru repair shops today and none of them had a clue what it could be either. One said it was maybe ECU/piggy-back related, the other said it was a possible vacuum leak, and other said it might be my MAF...

I've never been able to successfully connect my laptop to my PP6 so I'm checking around online for an explanation as to why. If I can do that, maybe I can get a little more feedback as to what the AFR is and other (hopefully) helpful information.

Anyone know if this could be the result of a possible timing belt slip or something like that? Maybe the car has gone into a retarded mode due to bad timing? *shrugs*

You could pull off the right and left side covers and line up the marks just to make sure. I have a feeling your pp6 is causing the problem. Try to give rallitek in portland, or a call and see if they have any info to help you.

Very well could be. I'm taking my car to 5250 Performance hopefully today and possibly SUBA to see if any of them can figure it out.

• 11 months later...

Archived