LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Winter Tires

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT LTD. I want to put winter tires on them, but it is near impossible to find steel rims and tires in 17".

Can I put smaller tires and rims on this vehicle for the winter? If so, what size? Do the disk brakes force me onto a 17" rim?

Ideally, I would like a smaller rim 16 or 15 even. I have good set of new summers.

Thanks,

You didn't really look to hard did you??:wub:

Two excellent choices for the Legacy:

Dunlop Winter Sport M3s

Bridestone Blizzk LM-60

Both in 17" sizes and there are plenty of others... You proably won't find Steel Wheels, but Tirerack has a number of inexpensive rims in 17" sizes as well if you don't want to actually swap the tires...

Tirerack.com 17" Winter Tire Search Results - Legacy GT 2005

You didn't really look to hard did you??:wub:

Two excellent choices for the Legacy:

Dunlop Winter Sport M3s

Bridestone Blizzk LM-60

Both in 17" sizes and there are plenty of others... You proably won't find Steel Wheels, but Tirerack has a number of inexpensive rims in 17" sizes as well if you don't want to actually swap the tires...

Tirerack.com 17" Winter Tire Search Results - Legacy GT 2005

OP: Grovlet gave you some excellent information, and the most ideal recommendation. Buy a set of 17" snow tires and put them on cheap 17" wheels. You wont find steel wheels above 16", so just pick up some cheap 17" wheels for winter.

You should also decide if you want studless winter tires or performance winter tires. I've run both types, and prefer performance winter tires. I haven't had much of a decline in snow performance, but really appreciate the extra dry/wet grip with performance snows.

• 8 months later...

I'm also looking for steel wheels for winter set-up on my 05 LGT wagon. I don't want to run my stock wheels (or my current alloys) in winter because the snow, slush, and ice builds up between the spokes.

I've been told that 16" steel wheels for 2002 WRX will fit - anyone have any experience or knowledge with regard to that?

I'm also looking for steel wheels for winter set-up on my 05 LGT wagon. I don't want to run my stock wheels (or my current alloys) in winter because the snow, slush, and ice builds up between the spokes.

I've been told that 16" steel wheels for 2002 WRX will fit - anyone have any experience or knowledge with regard to that?

If you have a LGT anything smaller than 17" won't clear the brakes.

Archived