LegacyGT.com

i swear i'm not a stickler...

but, late last night i saw a scratch on my rear left bumper that i know 100% was not there before i parked it. i looked at the car behind me and there's a scratch on the right front bumper...

my questions are:

1) the small chip shown in the picture below - it's not going to rust over time right?

2) is it even worth asking that person to fess up? sorta? haha... it's a neighbor that i see around frequently.

3) i know it's just a scratch and a tiny little paint chip but how much would it be to buff out and protect that chip from rusting in the future? any DIY that anyone's aware of will be greatly appreciated.

again.. im usually not a stickler but man, i've had the car less than a month and a freaking paint chip + scratch already! :mad:

taken with phone:

my rear left bumper -

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i390/ndl85/photo.jpg?t=1294754059

the front right bumper of the car parked behind me:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i390/ndl85/photo2.jpg?t=1294754059

You live in NYC what do you expect, I've seen people use bumpers as indicators of when to stop backing up/pulling forward in the city. My friends bumper who lives in queens looks like someone spent 3 days shooting at it with a bb gun.

Also just wait till you see the rock chips that come from highway driving from the wonderful Subaru paint.

hmm, well i wouldn't know how to describe how 'deep' the scratches are.. (t.w.s.s. lol) but to me, i saw it very clearly late last night - this morning, it looked much bigger than what i thought it really was..

any price ranges?

Since you're agonizing over this, I'm guessing that you're not originally from New York and may not realize this is a fact of life with on-street parking. For your own sanity, you need to stop fretting over scratches and dings. It's either that, pay for a garage or trade in the Subaru for a beater. Years ago, when I first lived there and needed a car, I was lucky to be able to get out of my space in the morning because drivers had parked so close, front and back. I remember the time I found both of my sideview mirrors torn off. And taking your car to a body shop is a total waste of money. You'll be back there every month. (Subaru sells accessory bumper rub strips, so you might try those -- although I'll bet they will be torn off sometime in the future.) So, yes, if you keep complaining about scratches and dings from NYC street parking, then you are a stickler. ;)

does the paint match his car? if so, politely ask him if he nipped it, or just bring it up in passing that you are bummed someone hit your car, might give them a good out to say, "you know what, I might have done that but didn't feel it", and offer to pay.

It is just plastic, try and scrape the paint off.

Since you're agonizing over this, I'm guessing that you're not originally from New York and may not realize this is a fact of life with on-street parking. For your own sanity, you need to stop fretting over scratches and dings. It's either that, pay for a garage or trade in the Subaru for a beater. Years ago, when I first lived there and needed a car, I was lucky to be able to get out of my space in the morning because drivers had parked so close, front and back. I remember the time I found both of my sideview mirrors torn off. And taking your car to a body shop is a total waste of money. You'll be back there every month. (Subaru sells accessory bumper rub strips, so you might try those -- although I'll bet they will be torn off sometime in the future.) So, yes, if you keep complaining about scratches and dings from NYC street parking, then you are a stickler. ;)

actually i grew up in ny.. guess i said 'not being a stickler' for my sanity sake but you know what, a ny-er is a stickler by nature.

does the paint match his car? if so, politely ask him if he nipped it, or just bring it up in passing that you are bummed someone hit your car, might give them a good out to say, "you know what, I might have done that but didn't feel it", and offer to pay.

It is just plastic, try and scrape the paint off.

yea i tried but there's nothing to scrape off... it's been scratched inwards. but i think i'll just say something in passing. thanks for that feedback

You could always take a tire iron and smash all his windows while yelling at his house "This is what happens when you **** a man in the ass!"

Then go get some In-n-out burger.

lol, saw that cliip you deleted. hilarious! too bad the driver is a soccer mom i believe... except she drives a VW

anyways, enough of this thread. thanks everyone for your helpful and funny feedbacks! :cool:

lol, saw that cliip you deleted. hilarious! too bad the driver is a soccer mom i believe... except she drives a VW

Well is she at least cute? gives you a great icebreaker if you're single... "Hey it looks like you scratched my car right here... Wanna go out to lunch/dinner sometime?" ;)

That will be around a $400.00 fix to sand it down and repaint the entire bumper. I went to several shop because I had a very small scratch on my bumper and they were all around $400. You could buff it out but You'll still see it a little. Just ask the person to give you $400 to fix your bumper!! You got pictures of his/her scratched bumper which matched your color car. How tight was the parking spot that he/she hit your car?

That will be around a $400.00 fix to sand it down and repaint the entire bumper. I went to several shop because I had a very small scratch on my bumper and they were all around $400. You could buff it out but You'll still see it a little. Just ask the person to give you $400 to fix your bumper!! You got pictures of his/her scratched bumper which matched your color car. How tight was the parking spot that he/she hit your car?

I think you're dead on with the amount. Had a hit-and-run happen to me recently while in traffic. Received a quote from a buddy at Gerber for the same amount $400. I would say confront the person and get that money!

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1905/1287958299549edit.jpg

Archived