LegacyGT.com

Stomp makes rotten egg smell at highway speed

Ed_T

2005 LGT automatic will produce the smell inside the cabin when cruising at highway speed when 'getting on it'.

With the exhaust pouring from the tailpipes, there's no way for it to come forward into the cabin at those speeds.

All I can think of is that there's an exhaust leak in front of the cabin, but there are no strange exhaust sounds at all. I thought the cats produce the smell if the mixture isn't "right." If this is true, then the exhaust is coming from the trunk area perhaps.

This is all too weird. The only other thing I can think of as cause would be some kind of coating that smells when the turbo spools hard.

This car's been in service since Aug '04, so any heat-sensitive coatings should be gone by now I would guess. I've had it for several weeks and can reproduce the smell in the cabin under the conditions stated.

Anyone else able to reproduce this? I can't believe it is happening but it is. Mine can't be the only one doing it if this is a product mfg. problem...

I found switching gas helped me...

try some searches, there has been extensive coverage of this issue

i think this only happens to 5EAT and you have a 5MT..

This Space For Rent

i think this only happens to 5EAT and you have a 5MT..

No definetly not.

I know exactly what he is talking about. You get on the gas to pass...say you step on it at like 70...after it downshifts you will get a rotten egg smell untill you upshift back to a crusing gear.

I used to get this all the time in my 5MT. It was very wierd. It wouldn't be all the time, but usually when above 4500 rpm in either 3rd or 4th.

In the last few months i have made a specific point to switch brands of gas. This seems to have made a difference in my case.

I got the auto climate control

-turn on AC (and enjoy it while it's on...)

- push the AC button again, and now it's just either circulating air or air from outside (no cold air anymore, just kinda outside temp air).....about 10 seconds or so later (after the cold air dissapates...the "AC stinch" starts.....kinda like a stale smell...hate to so much it pisses me off to describe it :D

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Guest JessterCPA

I know that sometimes the AC will smell in the beginning of warm season. This happens on almost all cars. Its the staleness of the winter. Blows out in a day or so. Never heard of it happening like this. Going to have to try this out.

Jesse

well the smell i got and i am sure the poster is talking about comes through the vents, no doubt about it. It could be related....

I will have to try this out, although i must admit, i don't think i have ever used the "Auto" part of the climate control. I just set it and go, i am too picky to let the car regulate it for me.

No definetly not.

I know exactly what he is talking about. You get on the gas to pass...say you step on it at like 70...after it downshifts you will get a rotten egg smell untill you upshift back to a crusing gear.

I used to get this all the time in my 5MT. It was very wierd. It wouldn't be all the time, but usually when above 4500 rpm in either 3rd or 4th.

In the last few months i have made a specific point to switch brands of gas. This seems to have made a difference in my case.

interesting! i have been going to the same gas station forever... i will try a different one. :) how long did it take before the smell disappear?

This Space For Rent

well for me personally i had the final straw when i was getting on the highway in 3rd and all of a sudden its like someone turned the fans on high and the smell just filled the car, shifted to 4th, still, 5th and it finally went away. It was pouring in almost, very, very strange.

I started to switch gas at that point and things seemed to get better. If i remember it wasn't right away, but certainly after 2 tanks. I drive like 90 mi / day to get to and from work, so this was all in the course of a week for me.

Who knows, it could be any number of things. It was right around the time that the winter / summer gas switch was happening. I got this problem intermitently throughout the winter. I just did a little searching online and found an interesting article on the sulfer content of gas and how it can vary significantly across the country as well as brands and how it can cause a distinct rotten egg smell. It just seemed to add up at least for my experiences.

It could be luck of the draw, but at least its something which won't cost anything to try, you never know. So far its been about a few months since i can say i have experienced it again. Certainly driving lots of highway miles i am always downshifting to 4th to pass so the situations are the same. It seems to have made a difference, so who knows.

But what is strange is why should the smell get in the cabin at all? If anything, it should be exiting the tailpipes.

So in my thinking there's gotta be a leak in all these cars allowing it into the cabin.

I'm no expert, but there's some kind of pressure relief blow by for the turbo? If that occurs in front of the cabin then I could see the possibility of odor getting in. But again, the cats gotta treat that air first, so how can this happen?

And I had the a/c OFF and set to RECIRC, with the four windows each open about one inch each.

Tailpipes are behind the windows, so at 70+mph, there ain't gonna be no backflow from them through the open windows.

Subaru, what's up with that??

• 4 months later...

after reading your posts i switched to Shell V-power in the last few months and the smell was gone, then i went back to the previous station (cant afford shell thanks to Rita) last week and got the smell right away! :lol:

This Space For Rent

after reading your posts i switched to Shell V-power in the last few months and the smell was gone, then i went back to the previous station (cant afford shell thanks to Rita) last week and got the smell right away! :lol:

So how is exhaust entering your cabin?

hmm..im getting the same kinda smell. noticed it about a week or 2 ago. been using the same brand of gas since i bought the car and it just now started to smell.

going to try shell and see if that helps, might have just been a bad batch of gas and it needs to get flushed out with another brand.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

hmm..im getting the same kinda smell. noticed it about a week or 2 ago. been using the same brand of gas since i bought the car and it just now started to smell.

going to try shell and see if that helps, might have just been a bad batch of gas and it needs to get flushed out with another brand.

So how is exhaust entering your cabin?

Archived