LegacyGT.com

BG fluids. Yea or Nea.

• Mega Users
Just run the Subaru 5EAT oil for the tranny from fredbeansparts.com, cant go wrong. For gear oil run the redline 75w90 but do not buy the NS. Fits all specs, everything will operate fine.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to ship 10qts of that oil? Half the price of the oil.... My nearest dealership sells it for 7.35 a quart. Of course they have to order it as it is never in stock for some reason.

We should continue this argument about tire pressure. It is very interesting. How hard is it to raise the tire pressure and pay attention to tire wear? Recommended tire pressure is determined by a compromise between tire wear and comfort. I find it interesting that my tires were wearing inside and outside at oem tire pressure...maybe I should call a subaru engineer and ask them what I should do about this. Dare I go against the manual and add pressure to correct my uneven tire wear?

And as for "lifetime" fluids...I've yet to hear of any fluid that can stand up to abuse indefinitely. If you buy a reliable car and take care of it, you can get it up to 500k miles...so that means that the car's lifetime has been 500k miles. Is anyone insane enough to assume that because a manual says lifetime fluid that the fluid will last 500k miles? Maybe "lifetime" fluid means that the fluid will determine the lifetime of your transmission. When the fluid breaks down, it will end your transmissions life...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
Why would you use aftermarket differential fluid? Redline is not listed on Subaru's literature :eek:

Sarcasm noted and point taken...but the manual does give a real spec for differentials. GL-5 is required...but ATF no longer has real specs...so all manufacturers can gouge the customers by requiring specific fluids and denying warranty on repairs by blaming it on aftermarket fluids.

They have specs for oil too but until recently they did not specify, nor recommend, synthetic oils. Dealers even said it is bad for the engine. Now they came up with their own in-house synthetic. Ask SOA what synthetics they recommend.

They don't list the specs of ATF-HP, but they do list a handful of aftermarket ATF manufacturers as being compatible, which DO list their specs. Pennzoil is one of them.

LE: The recommended fluids, as quoted from the repair manual

Idemitsu: Aporoil ATF HP

Castrol: Transmax J

Pennzoil-Quaker State: Pennzoil ATF-J

BTW here is the spec sheet for Castrol Transmax J. It just so happens they are the supplier for the JATCO Matic J stuff that Nissan uses, aka ATF-HP.

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/2701_transmaxj_b1650_03.pdf

Also says:

Suitable for use in Toyota vehicles specifying Toyota T-IV or T fluids

Which means it is a similar, if not identical, spec to the JWS-3309 I mentioned above. Which, by extension, means Mobil 1 JWS 3309 or Mobil 1 synthetic universal ATF is also suitable to use. Which means, really, you can use any aftermarket ATF as long as the spec sheet specifically says it is compatible with the ATF fluid used OEM.

• Mega Users
I can only find viscosity and flashpoint info on the idemitsu one. All of the additives are proprietary. What is J anyway? It must be a specification, but I can't find any info on it...unless it just means Japan.

• Mega Users
BTW here is the spec sheet for Castrol Transmax J. It just so happens they are the supplier for the JATCO Matic J stuff that Nissan uses, aka ATF-HP.

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/2701_transmaxj_b1650_03.pdf

Also says:

Which means it is a similar, if not identical, spec to the JWS-3309 I mentioned above. Which, by extension, means Mobil 1 JWS 3309 or Mobil 1 synthetic universal ATF is also suitable to use. Which means, really, you can use any aftermarket ATF as long as the spec sheet specifically says it is compatible with the ATF fluid used OEM.

[/size]

Thanks for that. I couldn't find that spec sheet for some reason. The castrol website lists a bunch of other letters for transmax, but no j.

• Mega Users
Just realized that the important spec to stick with is JASO1a. Just as some older transmissions could use anything dextron 3 etc, the 5eat can use anything that is JASO1a. I have heard of dealerships giving hard times with honoring warranties on transmission problems with other than specified fluids though.

It was not expensive to ship at all. My stealership charged a lot more per quart than that and I ran into the same situation, they never carry anything in stock. Also, I try to stay away from them as much as possible and not give them my business. For the 30k mile service interval, they quoted me $575 to do everything, I did it for $147. I continued to run the Subaru ATF do to the fact that you can not get all of the fluid out of an auto tranny without a tear down (manual says not to mix different brands of oils even if they are the same specs). The capacity is 10.4 quarts but you can only get about 7 out at the most. For the gear oil you can get all of it out and through research I have heard nothing but good things about redline, plus the price is right. Where I am from everyone raves about royal purple, but I do not want to spend $25 a quart locally for it. And for reasons seabass said about the warranty issues, thats why I run Subaru ATF in the tranny. If something went wrong with the diff., I would just quickly change the fluid and put Subaru gear oil in it to try to avoid any claims against me.

• Mega Users
from fredbeans?

Yea. That was for 10qts, but still. $70 in ATF and $30 in shipping. So I just had the dealership order it. They are a very good dealership from all accounts though. They don't hike up their prices for parts or fluids. I'm sure fred beans is great, but when it comes to heavy items like fluids, shipping gets expensive.

Archived