LegacyGT.com

Front end float

CapnJack

I've noticed on the track that when I get into some gentle corners in the 90MPH+ range, the front end starts to float and push more than I would like. At lower speeds on the track and the street, it feels much more planted. It almost feels like the front end lifts, but I can't believe it would enough to cause this with the weight of the engine up there. I'm running stock suspension with the exception of a JDM RSB with Rallitek endlinds and AVO RSB mounting brakets. I'm also running 225/40R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires.

Would a spring/shock upgrade help? Bushings? Front lip? Thoughts?

Try with different combinations of tire pressure first. This can actually be sufficient.

Then continue with wheel alignment check which includes a check of the bushings and look into an adjustable front splitter.

Stiffer bushings may be the answer and the geometry may change at those speeds, but at 90+ Mph aerodynamic drag is important.

And the weight distribution of the car is also playing a role. Throw in extra weight in the trunk and see what the result is if you have a test track.

453747.png

As Franz said, struts and springs will help immensely. I noticed when I went with Konis + Pinks it made the turns more planted at the 90+ speeds on my LGT. I also use the brake tap at entry to force the nose down a bit as well.

Great minds think alike!

-mike

One of the vendors on this forum suggested replacing the front lower control arm bushings with an aftermarket set and also installing a front lip. The bushing replacement will keep the front end from wandering and the lip will add some down force.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

LOL he doesn't sell lips.

I completely agree that a splitter is WAY more effective the a lip, however, I don't think that many people are going to be putting splitters on their daily drivers.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

I've noticed on the track that when I get into some gentle corners in the 90MPH+ range, the front end starts to float and push more than I would like. At lower speeds on the track and the street, it feels much more planted. It almost feels like the front end lifts, but I can't believe it would enough to cause this with the weight of the engine up there. I'm running stock suspension with the exception of a JDM RSB with Rallitek endlinds and AVO RSB mounting brakets. I'm also running 225/40R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires.

Would a spring/shock upgrade help? Bushings? Front lip? Thoughts?

Well, if you mean push,as in understeer, what is happening is the the rear has more grip than the front. You need to drop the front (down force) or prevent air from forcing up the front (lip)

In any case, what you have is momentum. The faster you go, the more momentum. The car with all that momentum, wants to go straight. It is you as the driver, that must coax it, through minimal steering inputs to get it through the corner.;)

Kinda reminds me of turn 1 at the old NHIS;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Well, if you mean push,as in understeer, what is happening is the the rear has more grip than the front. You need to drop the front (down force) or prevent air from forcing up the front (lip)

Or an inverted wing at the rear if you want to go the other way and have a really "interesting" ride.

453747.png

We are in the motorsports section talking about tracking our cars right?

:)

;)

Speaking of splitters... We may be coming out with an inexpensive one for the Subies this winter. Targetting the $150 range... :)

-mike

I've been looking at APR splitters that run about $340. I assume a 2006 WRX/STI splitter will fit the Legacy. These are beautiful carbon fiber units that come with adjustable hangers.

Yup the APR ones are great, except 1x off-road excursion on track will cost you that $340... Hence why I'm trying to make some relatively inexpensive ones similar to the APR but that would be cut for the subies individually. I have a friend who races an STi and is also a wood-cabinet maker. He just bought a woodworking CNC machine that happens to be able to cut alumilite.... So I'm gonna convince him to start making splitters. He already makes them for his own car so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. :)

-mike

We are in the motorsports section talking about tracking our cars right?

:)

;)

-mike

Yes! This is why I posted this here! I'm starting to track my car and looking to upgrade it. Eventually, I would like to make more of a 'dedicated' track car(I use that loosly as it will still be street legal and be a back up car for me if something should happen to my new daily driver) . At this point, it is still a daily driver and I don't want to give up the comfort, drivability, and reliabilty to make it handle and perform perfectly. Just looking for ideas for now on where to get started and down the road!

Thanks for everone's input!

At this point, it is still a daily driver and I don't want to give up the comfort, drivability, and reliabilty to make it handle and perform perfectly. Just looking for ideas for now on where to get started and down the road!

I'll give you a ride sometime. I built my car with the same goals in mind. Well, currently building :lol: (almost done)

Yes! This is why I posted this here! I'm starting to track my car and looking to upgrade it. Eventually, I would like to make more of a 'dedicated' track car(I use that loosly as it will still be street legal and be a back up car for me if something should happen to my new daily driver) . At this point, it is still a daily driver and I don't want to give up the comfort, drivability, and reliabilty to make it handle and perform perfectly. Just looking for ideas for now on where to get started and down the road!

Awesome! That's what I did with my 05 LGT Wagon (there is a thread in this section outlining every mod I did to it).

I actually didn't do anything to the motor but have been having a blast with all the suspension and brakes. It was/is a great daily driver that I had finally gotten to where I wanted it, then ended up with a '11 STi.

I'm not sure how much track time you have but I'm sure the other track guys will vouch for me here, the key is always the amount of seat time and fixing the nut behind the wheel!

-mike

Awesome! That's what I did with my 05 LGT Wagon (there is a thread in this section outlining every mod I did to it).

I actually didn't do anything to the motor but have been having a blast with all the suspension and brakes. It was/is a great daily driver that I had finally gotten to where I wanted it, then ended up with a '11 STi.

I'm not sure how much track time you have but I'm sure the other track guys will vouch for me here, the key is always the amount of seat time and fixing the nut behind the wheel!-mike

I thought I had that phrase copyrighted long ago:lol: And it is loose nut.;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived