LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone install page

Of course they don't look as cool as the Hellas, but is that really why we are getting these horns?

Says the guy with garage door bits tacked on to the bottom of his car... ;)

I'm still searching for that elusive cool looking AOOOOGA horn. Until I find one, Hellas it is.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Says the guy with garage door bits tacked on to the bottom of his car... ;)

I'm still searching for that elusive cool looking AOOOOGA horn. Until I find one, Hellas it is.

HA! I seriously did LOL when I read that. Yes, I do have a door seal on my car, but I think that's a bit different than buying horns in red or blue because they look cool through the grill. I'm not saying you are wrong for doing what you want, I guess I just just don't get it. I went out of my way to not see anything behind my grill.

Besides, that door seal adds 4.235 more HP to my car. So there! :spin:

I didn't really like them until I owned an STi with bright red Hellas. The look grew on me. I'm probably going for a black w/red accent theme overall so it ends up working out pretty well. It also helps the "what the hell?" factor when people are eyeing up my Camry.

Also, I can't talk TOO much smack. I was pretty damn close to buying a door seal and trying to fashion a lip out of it myself last week.

Installed mine today. Did a crappy job painting the red ones to black but they're behind the grill anyway. I didn't buy a bracket but instead used the bottom and left bolts that are used for hood latch and the short metal brackets that came with the horns.

I got the wire harness from AD Motorsports. Good alternative to Subimods because they come with a 20a inline fuse already wired in.

http://admotorsports.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=7

Got the Subimods harness today and to my pleasant surprise there is now a 20a inline fuse wired in. Very cool! I was ready to cut and install my own.

DAMN YOU SUPERTONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine randomly quit working AGAIN today out of the blue. Seems like they work fine in short bursts then when I really try to lay on the horn they go out. It's not a fuse or anything either to the best of my knowledge but I'm going to check again tonight. For now I just hope I don't need them.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been convinced the horns were awesome for awhile, but I wasn't up to installing them until a similarly dangerous traffic situation. I have a 99 Legacy chassis BD with aftermarket L7 grill on it and I was wondering will the bracket that you can order from subimods.com fit behind a stock grill? I have both so I'll switch if I have to, but I still have to order the wiring harness (ordered horns from different site) and I want to save a LITTLE bit of money on all of it. If anyone needs a pic to see what space I'm dealing with, I'll be happy to post a pic.

• 8 months later...

My Hellas saved me a few days ago. Accident on the interstate... Traffic backed up for miles... Both the lady 50 - 60 feet in front of me and I entered the entrance ramp, and we both saw the huge 'parking lot' at the same time. I braked. She braked, and started backing up rather quickly, not looking behind her. One sustained blast of the Hellas and her mini-van slammed to a halt rather quickly. 'Twas a very dangerous situation. We both managed to slowly back out of the entrance ramp, as there were no vehicles behind us.

Score one for the Hellas. At that moment, they paid for themselves, many times over.

Best.

Byll

• 1 year later...
Just picked up a set this morning along with the subimods harness. Before I install, does anyone know if the chirp noise will still work if I install these? Or is that specifically designed to work with stock horns!?

No impact to chirp sound when locking/unlocking.

No impact to chirp sound when locking/unlocking.

And, if you hit the lock button several times, the hellas will honk.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

And, if you hit the lock button several times, the hellas will honk.

Yes, they call this the "Car Finder" Feature.

The lock / unlock beep comes from a little round disc in front of the radiator, on the center support.

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

• 3 years later...

Archived