LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone install page

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've added some more photos and info today to clarify things. If anyone has more info or constructive criticism please let me know. I like to know if my install pages are understandable.

I something was bugging me, I know it's not supposed to make a difference how you hook the connections at the horn up, no real negative or positive side, but I had to see (listen) for myself. I checked my photos and knew I had one side theoretically backwards. I swapped the leads today and guess what? No difference in the sound, I feel better though :p

Edit: added sound clip video to install page at bottom

DSCN2311_e.jpg.623884f43002859a18c106ecaf2dbfc2.jpg

DSCN2309_e.jpg.5f71062154b820a49bf4cfe153ed39e9.jpg

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

Great write up Peaty!

Why doesn't the Hella horn wiring harness come with an in-line fuse before the battery? That seems like a really obvious shortcoming. I'd like to get the harness, but if I'm going to hack it up anyway to make sure it's SAFE, I might as well just make my own if it's only 7 connections.

The harness is not from Hella and does not come with the horns themselves. The only thing that comes with the horns is a relay. The wiring harness is something you purchase from Subimods for 25 bucks. They for some reason (cost?) did not include a fuse in the system. You could make the harness yourself I'm sure but the harness is pretty nice and adding a fuse is very simple.

Peaty,

Well that's the idea, I realize that it really is a simple mod to do. The thing is a lot of people are afraid to even start working on their car for even the simplest thing (like this) But once they have directions and the confidence to do the first mod, hopefully that will lead to bigger things like changing their own oil ;) Lots of things aren't really hard once you know how.

Peaty,

Peaty - as always you rock! Really glad to finally have you on the site.

Particularly glad that I caught up with this today as I'm in the process of installing my Hella set and was starting to work through both the mounting point and the wiring. Enter SubiMods bits and now I'm good to go. Mad specifically for the 4th gen too.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Note: If you can't see the photos on our ScoobyMods site, it means you need to register and log in. We don't do that to spam people, it's to keep the spam bots off the page to keep it clean. The people that post mods, like me, do it for free. While we do take donations, we don't charge. We do have a contributions section too so if you have something you want to share please post.

Peaty,

Nice thing about this mod is it's 100% reversible if you don't like it or sell the car. All plug and play.

Peaty,

Peaty - for some reason the sound clip doesn't work. I've attempted both to open it from the link and save it to my HDD and play it from there - error both ways. Also attempted to post a reply on your SM page and apparently the settings wouldn't allow it.

I didn't realize the extension got changed it works okay for me, I'll add the info but the file should be named:

Hella_Supertones.mpg

We don't allow posts in the mod page itself, that's to prevent it getting confusing to read. If you have a problem, question or what to add to the mod page post in the Q&A section and reference the link to the page.

Peaty,

^ Peaty thanks. Did download the file as a .mpg file from the SM site. Just went back and re-downloaded it, same file name and .mpg extension as I previously had. Still getting an error. Media Player is working normally, so not sure what the issue is. Not to worry, I'll have mine installed soon enough and can hear them first hand.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WIfUDC8f6k]YouTube - Hella_Supertones.mpg[/ame]

Uploaded it to you tube too.

Keep in mind this will only give you an idea of what they sound like not really how loud they are. They are pretty loud and piercing.

Peaty,

• 3 weeks later...

^ I was so wishing I had mine installed already. In the rain last night, a woman-driven Ford Explorer, tried for the better part of a 1/4 mile to force me out of my lane beside her - no signals, just started to come over and kept coming despite the fact that my hand was planted on the horn the whole time. I had no where to go, pinned as I was between the car to my right and the 18-wheeler bearing down on me (which was honking its horn at the lady to try and get her attention while she yacked away on her cell phone and one-handed it into my lane).

I finally got some room in front to blast out of the situation, but it really ticked me off that she could be that lacking in situational awareness and completely disregarded the fact that she could both see and hear me and still proceeded to pull into the lane. (If it were NASCAR, we would have been rubbing, that's how close she was :eek:). As soon as I cleared the lane, she pulled over in front of the 18-wheeler which caused him to lock it up. I'm really surprised he didn't hit her. Had I had my HSTs installed, I think (hopefully) that it would have deterred her because her ears would have been hurting from the blasts.

^Wouldn't it have just been safer to just slow down and let her get some distance than to "blast out of the situation"? What if this reckless oblivious bitch cut over right as you were blowing by and you had nowhere to go? What if she was blasting some awful music and neither heard you, nor chose to see you. Especially if you were "pinned" as it sounds between the center lane/divider and a giant suv, with a huge truck behind you, and she was obvliviously trying to do this for almost quarter mile?? Why not tap the brakes and avoid the situation instead of potentially making it a multi-car pile up....unless im reading the situation wrong.

Btw im not one to point fingers regarding super safe driving, but it seems (and I am guilty of this as well) that most people these days are utilizing their horn more to prove a point and say "hey, this is my space asshole, back off", rather than to truly avoid an accident or emergency (guilty of this as well, along with highbeams....there are a lot of dipshits in west la). Maybe she wouldn't have even heard or cared about the hellas anyway? Just some food for thought, not trying to accuse you of being a bad driver. It just seems we rely on our horns too much these days and trust people hear or even care.

^ Think you read it wrong... I was in the number 3 lane with a car in the outside lane to my right and the 18-wheeler immediately behind me. Definitely wasn't trying to defend my position - was trying to keep from getting run over from the side and from behind. The 18-wheelers here wait for nothing and there was no slowing down on my part as the trucker was on my bumper literally, while I was trying to slow down and avoid her. Only blasted-out as the last resort to avoid a pile-up - that kind scary, surreal, you can see it all happening and you realize it was the grace of God that got you out of it.

I drove for 27 years in SoCal (including several stints in the LA basin) and never had a moment like that. Didn't even consider getting a set of HSTs...till I got here.

I'm considering getting a two sets. One set didn't tell people they were idiots loud enough with my last car as I still got run off the road quite a few times. Does it look fairly easy/practical to install a second set in there? Any tips before I attempt to do so?

I've see pictures of people installing multiple sets so its definitely possible. I think just use 2 sets of harness(fuse protected) and use one OEM horn trigger per set. Try to mount all 4 behind the grille for maximum effect. :)

Archived