LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone install page

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone use Subimods wiring for 4th Gen Legacy? Where did you connect to your switched (horn button) line and where did you mount your relay? Pics would be helpful for this version too.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 months later...
It's really pretty easy. I had a shop do mine along with other things but when I did my grill painting I saw how it was hooked up so I just looked at that and how easy it was to setup and I put a set on my wife's FXT in no time. It's harder on the FXT because you have to take the entire f-ing bumper off, our's is removing 6 plastic push pins, 2 screws and the grill and shroud is out and then bolting on the horns wire it up with the subimods.com harness and bracket, attach it to the battery and put it back together and done!
I'm just here for the mods.

• 2 weeks later...
If you go to the first page and click on my link you can see the details. But the short answer is yes.

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

• 2 weeks later...
My horns were installed last weekend. Worked fine the few times this week I used them. Then Friday night I was messing around and boom nothing. Just checked the fuse, all the wires and soldered the wires rather than using a wire nut; still no luck. I think my next step is to buy a volt meter and start measuring for power. I noticed the relay was warm to to touch is that true for others or indication of a short or bad relay?

the relay could be fried maybe. Can you feel it clicking when someone presses the horn? First, unhook the lead to the horn power that would prevent you from going deaf if they started working. You could also just jump across the relay to see if the horn works that would tell you it was the relay too.

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

Warm to touch sounds bad. It's an open circuit until the relay connects so it should stay cool unless blasting the horn for a while. Hot would imply some current is always running through the relay.

Peaty's suggestions are both great. Test the relay with no load and bypass the relay to teast the horn. Without a multimeter tough to ensure there is isolation to ground.

• 2 months later...

Installed mine today. Did a crappy job painting the red ones to black but they're behind the grill anyway. I didn't buy a bracket but instead used the bottom and left bolts that are used for hood latch and the short metal brackets that came with the horns.

I got the wire harness from AD Motorsports. Good alternative to Subimods because they come with a 20a inline fuse already wired in.

http://admotorsports.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=7

Installed mine today. Did a crappy job painting the red ones to black but they're behind the grill anyway. I didn't buy a bracket but instead used the bottom and left bolts that are used for hood latch and the short metal brackets that came with the horns.

I got the wire harness from AD Motorsports. Hood alternative to sunk odd because they come with a 20a inline fuse already wired in.

http://admotorsports.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=7

Pics? Haven't gotten around to deciding on a bracket yet. I'm curious to see how they look using just what's available.

I think I'm going to invest in these. I had to lay on the horn this weekend because some ass decided at the last second he wanted to cut over 4 lanes so he wouldn't miss his exit and in the process almost hit me and two other cars. My wife started laughing at me and when I asked what she was laughing at, she told me my horn sounded funny.

I use my Hella's sparingly but I love when I get the chance to really scare the shit out of an idiot who deserves all the ridicule that comes with doing something stupid. You really have to eff up to get me to honk.
I'm just here for the mods.

Oh, I could so easily get these too. My wife loves having a loud horn on her truck. I replaced hers with a set made by PIAA. Holy crap!! Those things took her mild and meek Mitsu. Outlander (same silly sound as our Legacys) and turned it into a freaking 18 wheeler! There is no doubt that she is using her horn to tell you that she doesn't like what you are about to do. And they were simpler to install than what I've seen with these Hellas. I used her factory brackets (much like the ones on the Subaru) and then just re-worked her factory wiring and they work perfectly. No need for an aditional brackets or wiring harnesses. Of course they don't look as cool as the Hellas, but is that really why we are getting these horns?

Archived