LegacyGT.com

Can i tow a 97 outback automatic on a tow dolly?

• I Donated
If you can't afford to pay 60 bucks to tow a car, then what are you going to do when your car breaks down somewhere? Leave it there and let the city impound it?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Nah I don't have endless ammounts of money. I have two children and a wife to support. I have anything but extra money.

But I try and do things the right way to avoid even more expensive repairs later on.

Trying to do things the cheapest way possible will cause you problems.

Just do it right then you won't have to worry about it screwing things up

its not necessarily the "wrong" or "right" way. just alternative ways. i dont see disconnecting the driveshaft as hurting the car. Just takes more time and the know-how. But it could save me nearly $50 bucks.

• I Donated
nah me and buddies will push it home i dont go out of town much

if you can't pull it with 4 wheels on the ground, what makes you think you can push it???

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

it will matter because you will wind up breaking even more stuff.

And it doesn't matter what went wrong because if you have a break down on the side of the road, you usually don't have to tools / materials needed to properly diagnose it.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
Just get a trailer, $60 is well worth knowing that you aren't going to have to put unnecessary money into the car if you should happen to not disconnect something.

Remember, he likes doing things the hard way.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
yea man not directed to you.

yeah it was directed at me.

I'm trying to give you the right way of doing things to help you avoid breaking something.

If you don't want to take my advise, or the advise of others you don't have to.

If you don't like the answers people give you, then stop asking questions.

You're asking because you don't know. So therefor you have to room to argue the answers people give you because you're obviously not educated on the subject.

I'm not trying to be nasty or rude so please don't take it that way.

But trust people when they tell you that you need to do something a certain way. I tell you these things (and everyone else) because we have had experience with it.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

^This!

Also, don't forget that you have a 2-piece drive shaft in this vehicle, with a center-carrier bearing supporting the two pieces. Can't recall whether that center bearing has enough support to hold that front shaft in-place or not if the rear is disconnected.

366494919901.png.a914918195311d84f665d4ff3fc66f05.png

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

the one time i used a tow dolly it was on a wrecked 96 lego wagon. so pulling the drive shaft was no big deal, it was going to parts any way. since then i have rented a trailer / car carrier. it cost about $25 more than a dolly but i'd have to rent the dolly any way.

having said, i here you can disconnect the rear shaft from the rear diff and then just go. i haven't done it and i'm not real clear on how to do it but i have read that others do it fairly often.

i went looking for ''how to'' on www.ultimatesubaru.org but they are down for what ever reason. but i have read there that you can remove the 4 12mm bolts and nuts and just let the rear diff shroud / protector support the rear end of the drive shaft . again i have not done it and i dont know how much space there will be between the drive shaft flange and the diff flange. but that's what i have read. also i hear you can undo the drive shaft with out removing any thing else.

once usmb comes up i'll try and post a link.

by the way there are lots of subaru forums. some more knowledgeable in certain areas than others and some more fun than others. and each with it's own ''personality''.

SubaruXT.com

Subaru-SVX.net

Legacy Central

SL-I.net

SubaruOutback.org

SubaruForester.org

DirtyImpreza

RS25.com

NASIOC

Archived