LegacyGT.com

Likely to soon buy a 1997 outback. Please read.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After going through the papers left in the glove compartment, i know a lot more about the car. It was purchased in 05 with 132k miles. The car only has 180k now. on 7/7/06 the car got a new timing belt, front crank seal, cam oil seal, pcv valve, thermostat and gasket, "by-pass hose," coolant conditioner, antifreeze, castrol 10w40, oil filter, water pump and gasket, "O-ring", rear brake pads, "disc pads". Cost $800, $425 in parts, $345 in labor.

The part of the paper that "authorizes the repair work to be done" is not signed though, so maybe this is just an estimate, or just a copy??

also on a separate receipt, it had the power steering pump replaced and the ignition coil.

This "knock" is not the least bit present. The sound i heard was a ticking like a lifter, and it was because the oil level was low. I added oil and the motor just purrs, other than the miss from the head gasket, which is intermittent. It definitely has blown head gasket cause it blows a bunch of steam out of the tailpipe, but my dad who has been a mechanic for 30 some years was really impressed at how smooth the engine ran. He almost didn't think it was a head gasket until he saw all the steam coming from the tailpipe. No check engine light is on. Took me a little while to figure out how to get the lights to stop blinking when i replaced the battery (black switch under dash). I'm also REALLY impressed at how good the stock sound system is. It says 80w but its dang loud for 80watts and it has the cd player. And i can turn the bass all the way up and it has no distortion. Very impressive to me. Anyways, i think i'm going to replace the head gaskets (and all the goodies that go with that job), water pump, timing belt, thermostat, etc... Instead of tearing down the whole motor. Ill make a video soon of it running. Thanks for all the help guys

Hmm. Anyone know the head gasket part number and brand that would be best to replace mine with? After watching this video of a outback after a head gasket replace, every single comment the owner of the outback posted was bashing subaru calling outbacks pure and utter junk. I dont know how i feel about that i like my little beat up outback.

a few things he posted:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzwSinq4SKE]YouTube - Subaru Run After Head Gasket Change[/ame]

"NO SUBARU OWNER that I know has had their headgasket problem resolved. There is SIX revisions to our headgasket part number" --sure hope this isnt true

"PS cant resurface these heads! Tolerances are too low."

"Subarus are complete and UTTER JUNK!

Consumer Reports gives the motor of the outback a black circle. 1 star

I'd give it zero. Friends dont let friends drive Subarus."

"Ive been through Subaru Hell and back. The outback is junk. (Mine was brand new and the first headgasket went at just under 60K miles) The leaks will always b an INTERNAL headgasket leak, not external. Nothing will drip on the ground. "

now is this guy right? cause i had hopes of fixing this car...

You can fix that car. He's just giving the car a bad name because he screwed up somewhere. Look at all the other owners on here pushing 200+K miles on their rebuilt EJ25Ds. At's all about what you use for materials & how you take care of it after it's built.

"NO SUBARU OWNER that I know has had their headgasket problem resolved."

This is absolutely horses**t. Not to say that there aren't people who have their problems but this guy is clearly out to get Subaru because of some idiot's mistake.

"PS cant resurface these heads! Tolerances are too low."

Tell that to the people up in that shop up in Manchester, CT who resurfaced my Outback heads for $300. They had some weird name & were near the Journal Inquirer. Or other people using these heads in performance applications.

"Subarus are complete and UTTER JUNK!"

Everything is complete & utter junk. Why? Because all of it breaks. That's why there is the option or talent of being a mechanic, so we can gain & develop the skills to fix it all.

"Ive been through Subaru Hell and back."

- Cry me a river. Ask anyone who owns a 3000GT. THEY'VE been through hell & back. (And I know because I spent last summer rebuilding my boy's 6G72 with him.)

thanks man. I think your right, hes just out to blame Subaru for some mistake he probably made. Not to mention with a mindset like that he probably drives it hard and never maintains it. since its "junk" theres no need for maintenance. I hope i can fix this car cause i really like it.

I've seen that video before. That guy is an idiot. There are countless Subaru's in my area with 200k+ on them. There was a 1996 Outback here not too long ago with 308k and it looks like someone bought it. And there have been a couple 1998 Foresters with 420k up here that people will buy and keep driving.

I've seen that video before. That guy is an idiot. There are countless Subaru's in my area with 200k+ on them. There was a 1996 Outback here not too long ago with 308k and it looks like someone bought it. And there have been a couple 1998 Foresters with 420k up here that people will buy and keep driving.

i believe it. by reading the manual for this car, it seems that subaru really thinks things out. Like there is ways to release the locking steering wheel if it gets stuck, ways to shift the gears in the auto tranny if the little electromagnet switch breaks, ways to release the parking break if it sticks. So many things that other car makers never thought of. And does the outback have the little cover thing in the rear that would allow me to replace the fuel pump without dropping the tank? Not that it needs a fuel pump, just wondering. And im still trying to straighten out how this auto tranny distributes power to the wheels. Ive been reading about VDC. This car doesnt have that though, right? And how exactly does the viscous coupling work? Does it send power from front to rear and back when spinning or from left wheel to right wheel? These cars just have open diffs right? Anything else cool about them you might want to tell me? The manual says it has 7.3" of ground clearance. Is that considered a lot for a passenger car? haha

thanks

And im still trying to straighten out how this auto tranny distributes power to the wheels. Ive been reading about VDC. This car doesnt have that though, right? And how exactly does the viscous coupling work? Does it send power from front to rear and back when spinning or from left wheel to right wheel? These cars just have open diffs right?

If you have an automatic:

4EAT is a 90/10 split system. This means that 90% power is going to the front wheels/10% to the rear (this percentage constantly varies while the car is being driven over different surfaces, speeding, & such) but can send as much as 50% to the rear wheels if the front wheels slip that much or if it's put into 4WD (2nd gear). There is also an emergency FWD fuse entry on this car that can lock the transmission into 100% FWD but that option should be left alone unless you have a flat in the rear.

5 speed:

This transmission is 50/50 split to the differentials at all times in all gears no matter what. The transmission is locked this way from the factory & can't be made into FWD.

I've had both & done some research on them as well.

A LOT of people say that the 4EAT is stronger than the 5 speed. I wouldn't know about stronger but it's definitely slower for sure.

I've had both & done some research on them as well.

A LOT of people say that the 4EAT is stronger than the 5 speed. I wouldn't know about stronger but it's definitely slower for sure.

I've driven both as well and I don't really know which is stronger (in fact I've heard the opposite). The 5 speed is definitely noticeably quicker despite the 4EAT having the 4.444 differentials (as opposed to the manuals 4.111).

I've driven both as well and I don't really know which is stronger (in fact I've heard the opposite). The 5 speed is definitely noticeably quicker despite the 4EAT having the 4.444 differentials (as opposed to the manuals 4.111).

Yea the fact that the car is automatic has canceled all my ideas to fix up the motor. I wanted to do a few things to it, but since its an automatic i just want to fix it and drive it. Unless anybody can say something that gives me an excuse to "soup up" an auto car. :rolleyes:

Yea the fact that the car is automatic has canceled all my ideas to fix up the motor. I wanted to do a few things to it, but since its an automatic i just want to fix it and drive it. Unless anybody can say something that gives me an excuse to "soup up" an auto car. :rolleyes:

Headers, Intake, Suspension (this WILL matter), brakes, & too many reasons to 'soup up' an Outback (almost all, if not all, JDM parts can interchange with it, which is a good enough reason). I 'souped up' 2 Ls. Even thought about adding a turbo to the auto one day. Autos can be ALMOST as fun to drive as a manual.

Generally yes. A manual is more fun to drive. I have driven my friends 97 OBS with a 5 speed and the 2.2.

Then my 96 Legacy with the auto and the 2.2. (By the way as far as I know my automatic has the 4.11 FDR Legacy Outbacks might be different)

I know I am not supposed to talk about this kind of stuff here. But I did a 55mph roll against my friend in his OBS. I pulled on him on the freeway.

Overall the initial launch can suck but if you can use the gear selector (which I have many times) to put you into the gear you need it can be rather fun to drive.

Overall I say go for it. It may be an Automatic. But it's a freakin' Subaru. Still a blast to drive. If you drove my 96 you would be pretty surprised.

3.90 for 2.2 manual

4.111 for 2.2 auto and 2.5 manual

4.444 for 2.5 manual

I saw a 3.90 rear end on an older automatic Legacy 4 door back when I was in school about 2 years ago. It had the 22E. Even had some kind of sticker saying '3.90'.

I saw a 3.90 rear end on an older automatic Legacy 4 door back when I was in school about 2 years ago. It had the 22E. Even had some kind of sticker saying '3.90'.

yeah, 90 - 94 the 2.2L legos had the opposite ratios, autos were 3.9, and manuals were 4.11.

turbos were different, they did not follow this rule.

yeah, 90 - 94 the 2.2L legos had the opposite ratios, autos were 3.9, and manuals were 4.11.

Why did Subaru switch up the ratios again from the 1st gen to 2nd gen?

Was it because the 2nd gen got heavier & had the 25D/Turbos added or was the change more sports oriented?

Well the first gen was actually used by subaru/prodrive for WRC events whereas by the time the second gen was around the impreza had already taken over

So the Legacy took a seat on the bench when Subaru decided to let the Impreza take over the sports category. That would explain it being more 'tame' as the years go on. The 2g seems like a perfect balance between the 1g/3g. Light enough to play with but mature enough to take seriously. At least that's what I think. I feel cramped in a 1g & a 3g doesn't really have the spirit of the 2g. I think the 4g picked up where the 2g left off but that's just me.

yea i agree with you DOHCEJ22E1. not familiar with any legacies except the 1g and 2g though. I really need to find out which head gasket i need to buy for this car. Felpro, Cometic? What is the part number for the fixed gasket? Im going to be pulling the motor this weekend hopefully and i'm probably going to sell my other legacy by then.

BTW here is my the outback running. Sorry its dark outside. When i first start the motor you will hear the belt squealing but it goes away after a few seconds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TuQOXObNe4]YouTube - 97 outback with blown head gasket[/ame]

Archived