LegacyGT.com

Whats the fuss about BMW 3 series

we looked at E46 (330i) and E90 (328i) 3-series before we bought the Legacy for my wife. I owned an E36 a number of years back and had fond memories of it, so I was really hoping she'd like the bimmers.

The E46 I liked. It wasn't a sport package (much less a ZHP on M car) but it felt reasonably taut and had that distinct teutonic feeling of being carved out of a block of granite. The only odd thing (to me) was that the slushbox insisted on shifting into first at about 5mph every time we came to a stop. The wife thought the interior was too austere (her term: "old people") and the car was up there in mileage, which meant we'd be looking at the typical BMW 80-100K repair stuff in a couple years. Those things kept us away.

The E90, by comparison, felt like a buick. Again, it wasn't a sport package so that may have made a difference, but everything about the car was overly muted. The acceleration was weak compared to the 330 (and the transmission shifted more softly), the styling didn't look as good, and the interior even looked like an old person's car to me, the comparative BMW fanboi. The suspension was garbage as well...too much body movement in the name of keeping the ride "smooth". The trend toward softer spring rates with more damping in German cars has gone too far IMO.

would a 330 or 335 solve the acceleration issues...probably. not the handling/interior though. no thanks.

FWIW I haven't driven a 1 series yet, but the upcoming M version of that car has me VERY interested.

I test drove a 330xi before I bought my LGT, and I didn't care for it. I was expecting to like the BMW, since my last car was a 325iX and I liked it a lot, and basically I just wanted a newer one. But the 3-series got huge and heavy.

If a 135xi or maybe 335xi had been available at the time, I might have chosen differently, but the 335xi came out later and I don't even know if a 135xi exists even now.

In retrospect I'm glad I bought the Legacy. It's been a ton of fun, and the sleeper factor (or just the WTF factor) is kinda neat.

I would personally never own a BMW. Dont get me wrong, the E90 M3 and 335 are both great looking cars; my top three reasons not to get one:

1) Image. Sorry but BMW doesnt scream status to me. They scream 'I got this car because everyong else in my practice got one'

2) Not worth the cost. Why would you spend $60k for an M3 when you could get a C6 Corvette that would run circles around it?

3) Maintenance costs (after warranty). I have worked on several BMWs that are past warranty, and these cars are not that reliable, and expensive to hold on to.

On the search for a new DD...

So what's the point of M3 now that they are coming out with M1 coupe?

4.0L V8, cleaner lines, 4 doors if you want them.

I'll take the 1 Series M, myself. I kind of like the quirky looks of the 1-series and I definitely like the interior styling/layout better in the 1 than the 3. Still, if somebody could stuff that 4.0L V8 into the 1, that may be the best of both worlds. (Although there's nothing wrong with the N54 in this application, IMHO.)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I work at a BMW dealership and have driven almost every car they have to offer from the new 1 series to the old 8s and every M in between.

The 328i is a 230hp 3.0L. It is slow and uninspired compared to the LGT. They handle well enough, but are quite heavy.

The 335, on the other hand, I like a lot. The power is smooth and unrelenting. With a 6speed and the traction control off they are a ton of fun in both rearwheel and x-drive trim. BUT, when you option one out with the M-Sport package, I-Drive, and the other good stuff, you are talking somewhere around $60k! That is 2 new LGTs for god's sake.

The 335d I love as well. 265hp...425foot pounds of torque!!! They pull like crazy, but only come in auto. :(

I think I'll have to start my own thread and do some full scale reviews.

I left the BMW world before the advent of the 335d making it over here. Really wanted to drive one. I wonder how they do with ECU mods..... hmmmm. 300hp, and around 500lb-ft and 30+ MPG would be a tasty combination out west.

I doubt you would retain that mileage with a reflash, but I have been wrong before.

Diesels are funny creatures in that regard. Since they are not air throttled, and don't care as much about stoichiometric air fuel ratios, there is no reason that a diesel running more boost has to run more fuel at part throttle. There are no detonation issues with a diesel like there are with a gasoline engine since ignition is via compression already. You can run them lean and not hurt them. They can be tuned accordingly. Look at turbodiesel pickups (not that I want to put up with one) as an example, owners routinely modify the engine management to produce more power, and cruising fuel economy virtually never suffers.

Not always true, smoke is a sign of unburned fuel and a poor tune. Since diesels are fuel throttled a lot of "tuners" will over fuel the engine to make more power even though there is not enough air being supplied to burn it all, or there is not enough time to burn it. Also pushing anything over 4500-5000RPM's doesn't usually work too well since diesel fuel burns more slowly and excessive RPM's just end up dumping unburned fuel mixture out of the exhaust.

Archived