LegacyGT.com

What is your dealers Invoice price?

Hello, I see people refering to dealer invoice when describing how much they are paying for their new Legacys. When i hear invoice, I think go to [url]www.kbb.com[/url] or [url]www.nada.com[/url] and get invoice for car, invoice for accessories plus destination and bam, here is what the dealer pays. But then, when I go to my dealer he flips the coputer screen over and says, " I dont know what invoice youre working of off, but this is my invoice". You guessed it, his is higher. On the Legacy Wagon I Limited I just bought it was about 1000USD higher. So my question to you fellow Subaru enthusiasts is, are you coming up against the same story? Which is the true invoice. Since we are talking about TRUE dealer cost, does anyone know how holdback, volume incentives, and other backend rebates dealers get to get to the TRUE rock bottom price on our Legacy cars. My guess is that since the invoice prices are readily available on internet, Subaru of New England has come up with "their own invoice" which is, say 4-5% higher than the MSRP. Just a thought. Any comments? Thanks a lot, Peter from NH

"My guess is that since the invoice prices are readily available on internet, Subaru of New England has come up with "their own invoice" which is, say 4-5% higher than the MSRP. Just a thought." I meant to say that: Subaru of New England has come up with "their own invoice" which is, say the true invoice you see at kbb or nada plus 4-5% of the MSRP. Just a thought." Subaru of America may be working with the invoice that you see on kbb or nada so you would not be running into this "other" invoice I am talking about. Who knows?

When I asked my dealer about invoice pricing their numbers were identical to those on this site: [url]http://autos.msn.com/[/url] Having said that we are not privy to any special dealer cash or incentives that may be available. Also, every dealership will get rebates (for lack of a better description) that are allocated to things like local advertising and fixed costs (electrical, heat etc) that we NEVER see.

My local dealer said their MSRP is little bit lower (less than 100) than what's on edmunds.com but invoice is higher by less than $200. I thought they were trying to confuse me. :P. Also, they didn't include the dest. charge at all! The prices on [url]http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2005.html[/url] already have the $575 dest. charge included.

This Space For Rent

Dealers pay invoice minus hold back. In the past, Subaru's hold back has been 3% of MSRP. So... if dealer invoice is $25,154 (as listed on Mastro Subaru's web page) for a GT non-limited, and MSRP is $27,171, then the dealer's actual price is nearer to $24,339. The actual cost to the dealer could be even lower, if rebates or incentives were offered from SOA.

[quote name='gtguy']My guy was identical to Cars101.com. Kevin[/quote] Mine too, until I took delivery today. I bought with the VIP program ... he showed me his invoice price, Subaru added $275 on it, on an line item about AD FEE or something, and the guy wouldn't budge.

[quote name='bemani'][quote name='gtguy']My guy was identical to Cars101.com. Kevin[/quote] Mine too, until I took delivery today. I bought with the VIP program ... he showed me his invoice price, Subaru added $275 on it, on an line item about AD FEE or something, and the guy wouldn't budge.[/quote] Bemani, After they found out you were going to purchase thru the VIP program were they reluctant to let you test drive the cars?

I didn't test drive .... ordered in April explicitly telling them thru VIP, pick up yesterday. All Subarus drive about the same anyway - I test drove enough to know how they generally feel. :p

FWIW, the cars101 site clearly states that there are certain regions of the US that SOA is charging a $275 advertising fee to the dealer. They are thus passing that on to us the customers. I paid this fee when I bought mine. Also, I believe New England is like it's own little Subaru world and work with a different distribution system than the rest of the country and thus have a different invoice price (or different delivery fees at any rate). I also know that dealerships get an extra kick back when they sell to VIP Partners Programs customers. It gives them a little more incentive to go along with these programs. They are, after all, voluntary programs for the dealers. IMHO, if you are haggling with a dealer about cutting into their holdback (i.e. trying to get a price below the "invoice" price) you are a cheap bastard and the dealership should pitch you out on your @$$! :wink: :lol: PeteNJ - I bought mine through the IMBA VIP program and the dealership/salesman I was originally working with (before my VIP letter with them expired and I went elsewhere to get the car I wanted quicker) was very helpful and let me test drive WRX's, Forester XT's, Outback XT's etc. even though he knew I was going to get the GT on a VIP program. Of course this experience could be highly unusual and is likely up to the respective dealership/salesman. Cheers! -Ian

Archived