LegacyGT.com

cd CHANGER SOCKET ON 05 hu

jp928

Squeak squeak....russle russle.

There was a little nervousness about the ACC working, but not too much....

The result compared to the dealer $990 is much better, more flexible, more capability, less space, and I can play dvd movies. Once I get the handbrake cover and centre console out, I will run the other cables for video+sound and sub woofer down the tunnel ready for "movies to keep kids of all ages occupied and quiet" .

I was listening carefully for delays between tracks last night on Disc Random, and it looks like its only a few seconds - certainly not long enough for one to think its stopped or died . Sometimes it prompted me to look at the display to see what was coming up next. I think it shows folder name then file name in rotation.

jp

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before i wet myself, you guys dont have the dual zone cliamate control, you just went from the audm to the jdm control correct? or can i get my panties in a bunch that there is an option to get a double din in my USDM legacy?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Yes, correct, from AUDM ac controller to JDM unit, single zone. Moisture, especially impure, is bad for electronics, so try not to get too wet please! The interesting thing was that the install notes mentioned another part no (H6217AG903SC) along with mine ( H6217AG902SC) , but I cant find it listed anywhere in google ....I was kind of hoping it was something useful, like a dual zone, or LHD or something.

There is another post by a guy in Oz re his 3.0 having an acc separate from the head unit facia (Macintosh radio?), and changing the head unit easily - check that out.

HTH

jp

Yes, correct, from AUDM ac controller to JDM unit, single zone. Moisture, especially impure, is bad for electronics, so try not to get too wet please! The interesting thing was that the install notes mentioned another part no (H6217AG903SC) along with mine ( H6217AG902SC) , but I cant find it listed anywhere in google ....I was kind of hoping it was something useful, like a dual zone, or LHD or something.

There is another post by a guy in Oz re his 3.0 having an acc separate from the head unit facia (Macintosh radio?), and changing the head unit easily - check that out.

HTH

jp

K.. so there is still no hope for us USDM dual guys yet..

Anyway off topic.. why is it called a Liberty in AUS?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Well, I tried to look at a promo picture of 3.0 here with Macintosh radio, and it looks like the ACC controller is a separate panel, and I think they have dual zone AC, so if you could get the part no for that.....The Mac facia panel is NOT 2din hole though, I think its wider...if you could get the upper panel I got separately, that should work?

Liberty? Dunno, why is the MX-5 called a Miata in US. A rose by any other name...On second thoughts, there is an organization here called Legacy, which is a sort of charity that looks after dependants left behind by deceased servicemen....maybe that made them think twice about using the legacy name. That might be a strtech though.

Old joke here - years ago Nissan (IIRC) released a a model called the Cedric...some odd styling cues, oval gauges etc. A journo sidles up to a Nissan Exec, and asks why called Cedric. Why not? Well says journo, the name sort of has some , ah, limp wristed associations here, wink wink. Ahhhh, says Nissan man.....do you have many of THEM in Oz? Yes, probably quite a few says journo. Well then, says Nissan, we shall do very well!

jp

• 3 months later...

Awesome work there mate..

Had my Liberty for about a month now, always saw the stereo as its weak spot, good to see there are ways to improve on the stock HU..

Considering a double din unit, anyone know of any good ones out there??

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to cross post from another thread, this is basically for non US Outbacks.

I need help:

Facts for japanese outback owners:

1- The Kenwood HU has a 20 pin rectangular input for an external CD changer and NAVI system, and a selector for band-cd-tape (yes, it has a cassete deck)-chr.

2- The CHR option does not work if no cd changer is connected, the same as the tape option does not work if no tape is in the player.

3- The optional CD changer is a kenwood c-929, with a special Subaru cable to fit the rectangular HU input, that does not have the standard 13 pin round Kenwood CD changer input, that cable seems not to be sold.

4- The CD changer must return some sort of "protocol" to be detected as such by the HU, not just connecting the cables to audio chanels (I did that and it doesn't work).

5- Kenwood makes the kca-ip500 adaptor to connect the ipod to combatible kenwood HU, with 13 pin round plug input, so I assume it returns the right protocol for it to be detected as a CD changer.

6- I have the pin diagrams for the Subaru HU rectangular plug, the c-929 (out to radio) changer, and the pin input of two kenwood radios compatible with both the kca-ip500 adaptor and the c-929 changer with the standard (not Subaru) cable.

Now, the question is, if I get hold of a 13 pin kenwood female plug, as the one on the back of some aftermarket units (should not be that difficult), and wire it to the right equivalent pins of the Subaru HU rectangular input (by the way, computer power source cable terminals fit very nice on the pins):

1- Could I connect a kca-ip500 to that?

2- What cable do i need to connect to what? (some are easy, but CLK, DATA C, DATA H, CH CON, etc?), I am only an electronic fan.

I include pictures of the pinout diagrams.

-Outback HU pins (rectangular)

-c929 pins

-Compatible Kenwood radio pins (13 pin round plug).

-Picture of back of the HU.

Thanks for any help.

6739133_subaruharness.jpg.638f1d1eeda5b1c71727ca0420912017.jpg

c-929.jpg.97d4946d6cdc2d5880a73fa494495b0c.jpg

radio1.jpg.b04dd9a5198906f2b611e46ab7d444c0.jpg

1.jpg.ebfe13589bfb5fd4b93975934a8cb320.jpg

Oops sorry, Mario 5 just asked the same question!!!!

I have an Australian Liberty Safety 2.5 pack wagon and fairly extensive (25 years) of car audio electronics experience........I have "access" to a genuine stacker assembly (including lead) ....I'll buy one of these kenwood kca-ip500 gadgets and "sacrifice " it to benefit all.......Can't hurt too much I don't think!

• 1 month later...

I am very curious to know if you had any success with this stilly? I'm awaiting delivery of my (swedish) 2006 Legacy 2.0R and would be delighted if there was a way around the dreaded "aux-in" problem.

You say that you have access to the genuine stacker assembly, is that that the Kenwood C929 you are talking about?

If so, does the cable seem to have some sort of intelligence (i.e. microchip) or is it just a plain cable?

If it is just a plain cable then maybe the stacker firmware has been modified and then the only way forward will be to reverse-engineer the modified protocol. If we are lucky then the protocol is the same as for other Kenwood units and it might be possible to use the KCA -ip500 as you and Mario5 suggested.

Looking forward to any response on this issue which is nagging me more and more...

I live in France, I ordered Jazzy aux in board but it doesn't work because our european HU are not the same like US model. The plate cable is 22 wires and US one is 14 wires. So it doesn't work. Our HU is made by Kenwood and US is made by another.

The other solution is to order a C929 cd changer and hacking aux in. But it's an expensive solution (more than 500 euros).

The last solution is to waiting for Mario5 investigation. He try to connect KCA-IP500. I wait for his solution.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've bot this to change my music system in my Subaru legacy spec B:

http://www.subaruparts.ru/i/cat/item/283_2.jpg

and 2 din board

i thought that it would be like on your photos, but when i opened the box i found that it is black (ACC unit)

The problem is that it shows the temperature, mode etc but it doesn't respond to my actions. I push buttons but nothing happens. I'll make photos an maybe videos today.

My legacy is LHD like most cars in Russia. =)

• 1 year later...

I'm back, as I am about to get a GTB with Mcintosh. Somebody here in Oz tells me that this HU does not put any output on the 14pin socket, only special leads to external amp. Anybody able to confirm/deny please? Svxdc? There now seems to be a JDM facia suitable for dual zone ac controllers, so IF there is an input point that I could couple a normal HU to, that could work the way the above thread did for me before.

thanks,

jp

• 1 year later...

Archived