LegacyGT.com

cd CHANGER SOCKET ON 05 hu

jp928

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Package consists of : Notes in Japanese, ACC controller, aerial lead(with male and female co-ax ends)to Hirose GT13, an earth lead with eyelet, LH and RH brackets for mounting DIN things, a few screws, 2d face plate. Came in an original Subaru labelled box "AV Panel Set H6217AG902SC". The ACC panel has an 8 pin socket on the back, which had better be a match for the loom behind mine.....looks like i88 connector on WI-118 is the baby, and its an 8 pin, so we should be good!

All up so far A$445

PS: the ACC controller is badged KENWOOD

HTH

jp

acc_controls.jpg.c635dd0052b8bcb1b40f41450269e11e.jpg

facia_parts.jpg.3ddfe55199082646e12fc5c6ff9ccb78.jpg

jp928,

Like a few other I live in OZ. Look forward to seeing photo's of everything installed & to hear if it make a difference to the sound quality. Also Total $ when done as I'll take the same path as you.

Spack00

Spack00, I hope to get time this weekend to pull the current facia out and verify the new ACC unit works ok, and that I understand how the new brackets will fit in, and the connectors are as expected. Once I am sure there are no problems I will do a test of a JVC DV6105 to verify it can read home cut DVDs of MP3, and then go for it. Current plan is to fit a DIN cubby under the single din head unit, but open to ideas about something else in there. I have a couple of Su03b type harness connectors coming from USA (courtesy SVXDC, thanks) so that part should be ok.

jp

Ok, we look like a goer! Last test done.

New acc controller comes up fine, 8 pin connector as notified above. New top part (double din aperture) is actually held in place by the side brackets supplied in kit, no other attachments exist. There are brackets on the sides of the old head unit that screw into the cavity, set back 3-4" from front.

Pics attached - rear of old hu - note the fly lead for the aerial input on the left, half way up; the 14 pin power/speakers at bottom; 8 pin acc input up a bit on the right; large multi pin unused is probably for cd changer. Other pics names should tell you all. The connector to the hazard switch is a bugger to release, and its the tightest lead. Just had to retune the old old unit after refitting. Now to get harness (en route from svxdc), new Head unit probably jvc 6105, and go next week.

jp

rearhu.jpg.c980574083ceb59f6bd4a4933b77f1a7.jpg

dashcavity.jpg.3d4bdb4d4ad10dea8a358a61472f518a.jpg

dash-newacc.jpg.7a630d43be3f9b97322fa8170308ffef.jpg

dashnewfacia.jpg.ca77b4e46a42835330f8fbcdaf64ead9.jpg

Another question occurs to me. The std Aerial lead has 2 connectors in the plug, and the short lead from GT13 to co-ax also does, BUT on the new adaptor, one connector goes to a male co-ax plug, the other goes to a female socket. Whats that about? Does it imply that there is a feed back out of the original head unit of the rf signal? Is the female connector an alternative input, or feed back out again? The Mvigneau lead I have only has one of the positions occupied....the one nearest the retaining clip.

jp

Nice pics! I (and I'm sure others) would be very interested to see well-lit close-ups of the 8-pin plug in the car. I think new Foresters already use this, and it's probably coming soon to the other models. There's growing interest in connecting things to the subwoofer output.

Pics of the rear of the ACC controller would be nice to see, too.

Pics attached - rear of old hu - ... large multi pin unused is probably for cd changer.
Yes, that's for an optional external CD changer. If we can actually find one then we can decipher the protocol on the data line to use this as an Aux input.

The std Aerial lead has 2 connectors in the plug, and the short lead from GT13 to co-ax also does, BUT on the new adaptor, one connector goes to a male co-ax plug, the other goes to a female socket. Whats that about? ...
By "connectors" do you mean contact pins within the adaptor's plastic housing? Does each of the antenna leads perhaps go to 2 pins (4 pins total)? Or else are the shield wires on the coax male and female not connected at the other end?

This is very likely a provision for the FM "diversity" feature. The SVX had this, as well as at least one other '96 Subaru model that I saw a post about. The feature disappeared from after-market head units around 2001. Perhaps radios in late model JDM Subarus still have it (or brought it back).

The SVX's stock radio has two antenna inputs -- one male and one female standard Motorola-style connector. The car has mating connectors that go to a motorized rod antenna and a wire on the rear glass. The radio picks whichever has the best signal at any given moment.

David, Which 8 pin do you refer to? The only one I saw was the ACC connector, with 2 rows of 4 pins, offset in a slightly rectangular socket, the odd part occupied by the retaining clip. The unused CD looking thing was about 20pins by the look of it.

The GT13 connector I got from Mvigneau as an adapter cable (gt13to coax) - each connector is a rectangular item, maybe 5x3mm, plastic with metal around the outside, and a tiny pin in the centre (~ 1x1.5mm tops, maybe smaller); the socket for the pin on the other part is inside a plastic probe ~3x1.5mm. The connector body has space for two separate connections - on mvigneau's unit,only one is occupied; on the factory connector behind my HU, and the new adapter, both are occupied....it looks like an outlet for RF as you suggest.

I will post a pic of the new cable asap. Incidentally I found a post on another board somewhere on this very topic (the split facia), and they listed another Subie part no (66128AE000) as the 1 din cubby to go with a 1din HU in this kit. I was looking for a mention of the other part no listed (...3SC), but it doesnt come up in google at all.

jp

Here is the rear of the new acc unit. Kenwood stuff. 8 pins at the right, the first row almost obscured by body. The aerial connector - each co-ax connector goes to one of the pins shown inside the GT13, no cross connection visible at all.

jp

accrear.jpg.b5536c9c7556b72f7e061f0d9e442055.jpg

aerialconnector.jpg.2daa8ffc76e7b8392ac9cfa746903295.jpg

David, Which 8 pin do you refer to? The only one I saw was the ACC connector, with 2 rows of 4 pins ...
Yes, the ACC connector is what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I'm all but certain it's the same as what's pictured in this post (from that NASIOC thread I mentioned in post #29, above). Scroll down to see the wiring diagram for the Legacy. Scroll up to post #2 in that thread to see a picture of this jack on the back of a Forester radio.

All of the pictures I've seen of this jack that various people have posted have been somewhat dark. A way to get a good shot is to go outdoors on an overcast (but otherwise bright) day.

I may have a better chance identifying the type of this connector from pictures of the matching plug (what's wired into the car).

It looks like the same proportions as CN702 in that post, but the keys look different to prevent mistaken use. See attached for a better shot. Sorry, I am not going to pull it all out again until I do it for good - next time. I think the attached pic will show you all you need. Where there is a key top centre in CN702, there are two top keys here, and similarly on the sides the keys look different.

jp

accconnector.jpg.0133f6c6e76adf1d357120a99c1d26c5.jpg

The GT13 connector I got from Mvigneau as an adapter cable (gt13 to coax) - each connector [what I'll call a 'contact position' -David] is a rectangular item, maybe 5x3mm, plastic with metal around the outside, and a tiny pin in the centre (~ 1x1.5mm tops, maybe smaller) ...
I re-read this and understand now. There are two electrical conductors at each 'contact position' -- the center pin and the metal rectangle. Those two conductors go to one Motorola (coax) plug or jack -- the center pin is the antenna signal wire, and the rectangle connects to the shield wire.

So I wonder on the car's factory antenna connector whether the second 'contact position' terminates at an actual second antenna (vs. just being a wire routed to some location, such as under the rear deck, to facilitate a second antenna in different models).

[the ACC jack] looks like the same proportions as CN702 in that post, but the keys look different to prevent mistaken use. ...
Thanks for that picture -- much better than the others I've seen. Good observation -- the keys are different. Makes sense to me now, since the Legacy uses some of the pins for things other than a subwoofer.

Just got the pocket - 66128ae000 - no flap, but thats ok- from a Toyota spares desk. It has the screw mount positions to go with the side brackets that hold it all together, so I dont have to cobble up anything that might look crappy, or be loose. Expensive compared to generic at A$36, but there you go.

jp

ok, we are done! Thanks to svxdc for the harness, couldnt have done it without that! Down side - parking ticket while picking up head unit! JVC 6105 - as well as reading DVD full of mp3 and playing movies (if you supply screen), it has seperate sub woofer out, video and sound out, line in, aux in (front), and line out (4 RCA sockets), switch on wire for external amp, and mobile phone muting lead. Also the Random feature will do either folder or whole disc random, which is great.

Took me a while to solder up all the connectors and cover them with heat shrink, but at least all the JVC wire colours are the same as EIA std - matched right up to svxdc's unit easily. I earthed the hand/park brake wire , and ignored the telephone muting lead, and fitted the subie pin 1 illumination wire to the JVC orange/white dimmer line.

Observations - JVC comes without any attachment screws except one to connect earth lead - bit poor! Lucky I just bought some short M5 screws...

The upper part of the split facia is attached to the side brackets (see earlier pics) with 2 very thin pieces of plastic moulded on the sides - less than 1mm thick - notes show a self tapper through the plastic into the metal bracket, but they dont supply enough of these screws for all 4 holes....This leads me to suggest you attach the hazard switch to the upper facia before fitting the facia to the brackets, as these screws are quite tight at first fitting.

The head unit bezel is way too big the fit the facia, so I left it off. The unit is just far enough fwd to avoid the drop down face hitting the pocket below, when the side mounting screws can find a hole. There is a small gap between unit and facia - ~3mm top and sides, maybe more below - so I may see if I can find something to fill that gap. I think it looks ok for now.

One of the console screw threads in the plastic is stripped already - after only one remove/refit pass - will have to look for a slightly bigger screw for it.

I did a trial run of the head unit only to check the wiring was ok, and it passed that, so went the whole hog.

No problems at all. I fitted leads for Line in and ran the end under the gear shift cover so I can get at that easliy when I need to. The sub and Video I will leave until I get those units....

Thanks for the encouragement everybody....do you think there is a market for the original head unit in Oz?

I noticed with the ACC controller that as soon as connected and powered on, it showed exactly the same settings as the old one ---proves that the front panel is just a selector, and the actual settings are stored somewhere else in a control unit .

After a run into town and back, I seem to be getting better base than before, more full sound all around. Better work out how to see what equalizing is going on, and how to adjust it...

All up cost so far...all A$

Split facia, ACC $445

Subie pocket 1din $36

JVC unit $520

RCA cable(line in) $10 not in use yet

Total $ 1035

Dealer price for non-mp3 cd changer fitted $990

Am I in front? By a long way - as much music on 1 dvd as a 6 disc non-mp3 changer!!!

Potential sale of old unit ???

jp, very happy bunny

TRIALASSY.jpg.e9cecea9a6813b12a883ae7457b1dc6b.jpg

INPLACERH.jpg.bc76d1a72192eca7de0226588c459737.jpg

Well, it sounds better than the OEM unit by quite a bit - Its on default equalization called "user" - will try the others when I work out how. The bass seems stronger, and overall sound seems crisper, more detail from the MP3 tracks so far. Doubt that FM radio will sound much better, but I havent really tried to judge that - just enjoying the disk random .

Now how do I get the console up at the front - the rear two bolts are easy, but cant see how to lift the handbrake boot and front of console. Going to run video out lines to rear so the back seat drivers can be occupied with video.

jp

Dont forget that all sound is very subjective. My ears are probably a bit older than many of those watching this thread.....62, so my high end response will be serioulsy down. Anyway, I feel the bass is a lot better - running some Enigma stuff yesterday, and it was REALLY good! And now I can control the equalization in much more detail than before.

BTW, the lighting for the control and station buttons on this unit is red same as others on the Subie ACC part.

jp

Archived