LegacyGT.com

cd CHANGER SOCKET ON 05 hu

jp928

i THINK i HAVE SEEN A PIC SOMEwhere, but dont remember where.....can anybody refresh me please? Any sort of std connection at all, or no such luck? I saw a note on an iPOD adapter that plugged into a changer socket and worked the iPOD from the hu buttons like a normal changer....anybody know this unit?

I have Mike Vs aerial cable, now I am getting crap from installers, pushing players at me that dont have a good rep or something. One Alpine MP3 changer (634) I saw a review of, was said to be unable to sequentially or randomly play outside a single folder on disc, and needed a manual push to move on to next folder.

thanks,

jp

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, since you've received no responses, I'll try to help.

The type of iPod cable you're talking about connects to the back of a Head unit with an external 6 disc changer, which I currently believe is NOT offered in any of the '05 models. Your 2.5i has a single disc, but I don't think it can be connected to a 6 disc changer. Your Outback probably has the 6 disc in-dash changer, yes?

Currently, your best bet for use of the iPod would be an FM transmitter or an FM Modulator spliced inline with your antenna. You could also sign up on the list for MVigneau's antenna adapter or wait for Metra's adapter which should be available soon.

Now, if you're looking for an aftermarket headunit, then you'll probaly need the AVO Cubby/Din pocket bezel which replaces the cubby and vents in the center of your dash with a new piece that has a din pocket in the middle. Then you have the option of simply not using your Factory headunit anymore, or using LOCs to use your factory head unit as a Radio unit and possibly even CD player through the auxillary input through your Alpine unit. The Alpine decks are pretty iPod friendly and would offer a host of other features like better control over sound quality and sub pre-outs and what not.

Finally, you have the option of using a JL Audio CleanSweep also due out in a month or two with a source selector to play your iPod and stereo through. This would require installing LOCs again, a separate volume control knob somewhere in your car, and I believe it also requires using amps to power the speakers (but I could be incorrect on this point)

So, to answer your question, there are several options, but none as simple as you were hoping for. In fact, most are rather complicated.

It's quite unfortunate, as I can't see any good reason for Subaru to have made it this difficult. :(

Brady....thanks for that epistle. I assume LOC means Line Out Connectors?

First, my AUSDM has a single cd unit, but the selector button is marked AM, FM, CD and CHR, which last I think means Changer...hence asking what sort of connector this uses, in case it would connect with the ion unit. I asked Neo if the ion could talk to 05 Subie, but got no response. I have Mike V's cable, so ready on that front. Down here the dealers only fit a Kenwood changer (C929)for A$990 (US$760), no mp3, no other choice, Kenwood wont tell me sh!t about it. The Neo HDD unit sounds ok, but it expensive for what you get, esp without a drive in it. Leaning back again to the separate ACC control plate from JDM option list, and a double din head unit . Am I correct in thinking that the 14 pin(16?) speaker/power connector we have is not uncommon in this business? The VDC unit some in US have used sounds like a good solution , except we have a different ACC control button set up, which looks same as JDM models.

thanks,

jp

ooh ... missed your location before. Ok, the iPod connector might work since you have the changer in the 2.5i as a separate unit that connects to the back of the head unit, but if no one has info on whether it works or not, it's still pretty much useless. :(

Based on what you're saying, I think the ACC unit and double din plate would likely work best on your vehicle.

And yes, LOC is a line out connector or line out converter ... whatever they're called.

I fully understand you and the problem you are raising. I live in Europe and are facing the same problem as you in terms of having the same single-disk radio/CD, JDM style ventilation set-up. I have put some effort into solving this and as I see it we have three different options:

1. Buy the Kenwood C929 CD chgr from Subaru which they charge a hefty premium for for an old unit without the possibility to play MP3 etc.

2. Buy the Radio/CD from the top-of-the-range unit (Europe 3.0 L version) with an internal 6 disc CD changer but with same JDM type ventilation set-up.

I believe this also plays MP3's but at least where I live is a very costly option even if it is fully compatible and no extra wiring etc. are needed. Just swap the two units.

3. Somehow get hold of the converter box that they use in the package from Subaru. A convertion box that connects at the back of your stereo and where you connect the CD changer into. I guess this also will work with other compatible CD changers from Kenwood which plays MP3's etc. and at more competitive prices. As I have understood we could also attach an IPOD integrator to this converterbox (eg. from http://www.dension.com etc.) However, I have been in contact with both the Subaru and Kenwood organisations in Norway and they do not sell this converterbox seperately, which is annoying. They want to sell you the C929 CD changer solution at a hefty premium, end of story. Please tell me if you are successful in getting hold of this converterbox, because i will be very interested in getting this as well. As a comparison, Toyota, have a similar system (not compatible) and sell the converter box for 10 usd.

Fraberg,

Are you sure that the actual C929 stacker supplied bu Subaru is a completely standard Kenwood unit and that the adaptor converts Subaru protocol to standard Kenwood protocol, or is is possible that the Subaru C929 stacker is different. If you are correct, I am certainly interested in finding myself one of those adapters, so please keep us updated if you find it.

Cheers,

Adrian

jp928,

I am from Australia also, and trying to do essentially the same thing as you. If I can get a descent head unit that satisfies my MP3 requirements along with the JDM fascia for similar cost to the $990 Subaru quote for the stacker, I will go that way. Have you got local pricing (aussie dollars) for the fascia anywhere. If I convert the price on the AVO site from US dollars it will be $4-500, which is pretty rich!!

-- Adrian

Adrian,

There are plenty of double din mp3 players (not as many as single din, but several) that will do the job for ~$600, but the blocker is the US$310 for the facia, which as you say will be close to A$500 with shipping. If you convert the yen price of 34,500 to A$ now though, its over $400, so the US$310 is not far off the mark. I really dont want to use an FM modulator, but I cant see another way around it, except for the above. I have ordered an Omnifi DMP1 from US which will need a modulator, so i will see how well that works first. If I dont like it, I will probably flog it on ebay, and go for the JDM facia. The double dins with a cassette are not really my favoured unit - much prefer one with something more useful than a cassette, like a multiple cd capability, but cant find one so far. Subaru Oz are no help at all in my experience, have you tried to get anything useful out of the dealer?

jp

Hi Jp,

If I went for the fascia, I would just get a single DIN unit and put in a single DIN storage compartment with it. I like the JVC KD-AVX1 which can play MP3 from DVD... 4.7GB of MP3 will do me fine. ALso has a 3 inch LCD to make it look nice and watch DVDs.

Have not tried dealers.... always ends up a waste of time.

-- Adrian

jp,

That JVC unit is currently available... just released... I have on on order for my car (my wife's is the MY05). If I can get a fascia for $300 or under I would purchase another for the MY05, but I don;t want to spend $500, so I am thinking of an RF modulated CD-MP3 stacker with a controller mounted in the cubby hole.

-- Adrian

Adrian, Yes I see it listed at JVC Oz, and JB hifi in Melb (elizabeth st) have some 5105s in stock - call them as they said there was some room to haggle on price at $549. I have tried FM transmitter connection from my portable mp3 player, but didnt like the result much. I am told stackers like the JVC RF1500 (mp3 capable) are a bit big to fit under the seat - heater ducts under there. Was recommended an Alpine 6 disc unit, but have seen some negative comments on it on the web. Not too many small mp3 capable stackers around, so....

I just received my Omnifi DMP1 from US, but it will also need an FM modulator to talk to current head unit - I may sell this unit and go for the JDM facia and JVC 5105, as this will give me a clean, simple set up, only needing the new head unit joined to the Subie harness.

jp

Perhaps a little different question. I too am in OZ.

I just want a cd stacker (mp3 would be nice, but not essential.) So if I understand a kenwood unit will plug in to the standard head unit?????:confused:

If so where is this plug in - back of the head unit I imagine, but you never know.

Please someone fill me in - as the wife wants a stacker, but doesn't want me to pull apart our new baby that is less than a week old looking for the connector.:rolleyes:

Sparky, The only officialy supported changer is the dealer installed kenwood C929, as there seems to be a converter box involved that enables the Panasonic head unit to understand/control the changer - A$990. From the pic it looks biggish (10discs), so dont know what they do about the heater ducts under the seat, where it goes. After that option, you are left with FM modulation to get sound into head unit, and this is less than optimal result, and you have to cut and modify the Subie aerial lead as its not a std coax cable or plug - see thread by mvigneau on making cables - I have one. I have ordered a JDM split facia/acc controller in order to fit a normal din (or double) head unit. The choices are bleak, so make unhappy noises at your dealer, as i will be.

jp

Whatever it comes to from Avo....only doubt is the postage cost. Shouldnt be too bad from Japan? I sent a ~2kg pkg up there recently, postage was $32, insurance for $400 was $13. Of course, A$ has to start dying as soon as one orders anything from OS.

I just cant be bothered with remote devices, FM modulators etc - too untidy etc. Also late radios all seem to be getting Ipod connector options, so that door opens as well as the higher capacity of DVDs. All I need is to test the separate AC controller , and find a good installer for the JVC, and a 1din cubby.

jp

Install it yourself!! It is not hard. I am sure you can get the pinouts for the stock unit here somewhere or work it out with a multimeter.

Let us know what it costs... probably about $450-500 I suspect. I notice the 2.0L base model liberty has manual AC... I wonder if there is any value in selling the old fascia to someone with one of these? Might be hard to find a buyer!!

-- Adrian

I have pinouts for the current unit. Would prefer to have a harness to mate new unit with current plug without cutting wires, but none of the US suppliers of such plugs will ship to Oz. The guy I spoke to at JB HIFI said there was room to haggle on the price of the JVC units, so I was going to go for free install or something similar - usually $90 extra. First though I will have to pull enough of the old unit to verify that the AC controller works, but I pray thats not an issue. Then there will be frowns at the next service from the dealer.....will let you know when it arrives.

jp

• 3 weeks later...

Adrian,

Facia has arrived! US$340 inc postage = A$445. Comes with brackets to mount 2din or 2 x 1din units, AND an adapter from Subie Hirose aerial lead to co-ax plugs - 1 male, 1 female! Didnt need the adapter I got from mvigneau after all....maybe. All the instructions are in Japanese, but I dont think it will be an issue to fit......Now to do an acid test on one of the JVC DVD reader units for MP3, and go for it! Then need to find out if there is a local supply of adapters from Subie power/speaker connector to JVC head unit.

Will keep you updated.

jp

Archived