LegacyGT.com

Low fuel warning

According to my est mileage on my LGT I have approx 40-60 mi..... I beleive the manual actually tells you how much fuel is left when that comes on. IIRC it's 2 Gal... which at my 20-25 mpg range would yield the 40-60 range... but I don't suggest pushing it past the next gas station.... even if you have to put a few gallons of mid grade fuel ,if premium is not available, until you get to a station to fill up.

you have a 60 litre tank, and you will get 100km out of the reserve, damn americans and the imperial system that makes no sense :p

:)

I agree with you, but until readouts show me in sensible metric units I will be forced to use my known numbers. I mean c'mon 5,280 ft in a Mile, 128 ounces in a gallon... makes complete sense to me...

But at least we spell our Liters phonetically.... damn Canucks and their tyres and litres make no sense :p

:lol:

after 30 shows up on your screen it will disapear. i went one time 559 miles with filling to 15.8 gal. I will never do that again, but i now know how far i really can go. once your light comes on you loose gas faster that what it says. you can watch it go from 50 to 40 in less than 10 miles even driving very slow and no wot.

Yeah, the in-car readout tells me I have around 50 miles left, but I am naturally skeptical of such predictions, but as long as 50 does not mean 20 in Subaru-speak I think I'll be good :)

Thx,

~K

Don't trust that distance to empty. Whatever it says subtract half. My low fuel light comes on and says 50 miles. Ten miles later it shows less than 20. :rolleyes:

When my needle is on dead empty I have 1.5 gallons left. Evert car is slightly different, my suggestion is to get full 5 gallon gas can and drive it until it runs out if you REALLY need to know where it runs out. I used to do this on every used car I bought.

Don't trust that distance to empty. Whatever it says subtract half. My low fuel light comes on and says 50 miles. Ten miles later it shows less than 20. :rolleyes:

When my needle is on dead empty I have 1.5 gallons left. Evert car is slightly different, my suggestion is to get full 5 gallon gas can and drive it until it runs out if you REALLY need to know where it runs out. I used to do this on every used car I bought.

Yea, make sure your under full boost when it runs out the pistons will love it, LOL

The other week mine flashed, it only took 13.6 gallons. go figure, that was the first time it only took that much. May be I should have made a post here about it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Does running out of gas hurt anything in the car? I heard a while back that it's not very good for it. :spin:

Does running out of gas hurt anything in the car? I heard a while back that it's not very good for it. :spin:

You should avoid this as the sediments that may have gotten in the fuel is

settled on the bottom of the tank. Running it low has the possibility of drawing

those contaminates into the fuel system.

you have a 60 litre tank, and you will get 100km out of the reserve, damn americans and the imperial system that makes no sense :p

:)

The Americans are not on the "Imperial" system....they use American gallons....Imperial gallons are 160 oz.....US gallons are 128 oz. We used to use Imp gallons until the mid '70's when we changed to liters....Approx 4.5 liter to a "Canadian' gallon and 4 liters to the US gallon:cool:

eventually we'll realize metric system is much easier and superior... but until then the American way is always best :cool:

back OT

my light came on last night on the way to fuel up. I probably drove 5 miles from when it came on and put 13.551 (us)gallons in my tank....

Here's a reply I put in another similar thread on in the 5th gen section:

Consider this. Most cars these days have an in-tank fuel pump. These pumps generate a slight amount of heat while running. Heat (generally speaking) destroys motors. To keep the pump cool, it uses the fuel. If you run the fuel all the way down every time, it runs the pump hotter, therefore possibly causing the fuel pump to fail earlier than it should.

Also consider this. Over many tanks of fuel, some debris will fall out of the gasoline. That "junk" is more likely to get picked up by your fuel pump if the fuel level is really low. Clogged fuel filters on these cars (sometimes part of the in-tank fuel pump, sometimes not) are not a cheap repair.

Why not just drive it down to a 1/4 tank and fill up? Then you don't have to worry about either of the two things I mentioned, or the issue you raised with this post?

Just a few thoughts.

^ yea, but I'm cheap. Right now 93 is $3.36 by the house. The next 2 stations a mile away are $3.42 and $3.46. Just over the MA state line I can get it for $3.17. If I plan my trips, I can make it back to the cheap gas. I try to do that if things work out that way, if not I'll bite the bullet and pay the man.

I have actually been running mine down low since I bought it new.

I wish the car had a 2 gallon bigger tank.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived