LegacyGT.com

Anybody else have a failing PS pump??

^ most cars don't have you change the diffrential and tranny fluid either .. those fluids nowadays don't breakdown any more .. i wouldn't change it unless it was some discusting color.. its just atf fluid anyways. also it may not be the pump so much as it could be the pressure regulating spring just got tired. i wouldn't be suprised if that was just the problem.

I see you have an 05.

Hmm

Transmission:

Inspect every 30k miles (see note 3)

Note 3:

"When the vehicle is operated under severe driving conditions, replacement should be performed every 15,000 miles"

Severe driving conditions:

Repeated short distance driving.

Driving in dusty conditions

Driving in extremely cold weather.

Atf:

similar.:lol:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure:);)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my Spec B had the whole steering rack replaced because of a similar problem... done under warranty... it was like power steering was working then not... so it was easy easy hard easy easy hard... if you get my crappy example... the guy at the service counter said it was because of a seal inside the rack was redesigned and was bad or something... maybe he meant the clamp that was mentioned earlier... sorry to throw another convoluted element into the mix.

I see you have an 05.

Hmm

Transmission:

Inspect every 30k miles (see note 3)

Note 3:

"When the vehicle is operated under severe driving conditions, replacement should be performed every 15,000 miles"

Severe driving conditions:

Repeated short distance driving.

Driving in dusty conditions

Driving in extremely cold weather.

Atf:

similar.:lol:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure:);)

haha well when i do tranny overhauls i put the old oil back in!

and i run atf in the powersteering.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

haha well when i do tranny overhauls i put the old oil back in!

and i run atf in the powersteering.

Well, maybe that is the reason why after 55 years of driving, I have never had a transmission, transaxle, or ps pump fail :lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

or maybe your to old !

kidding .. but youd be suprised what one can get away with.

the major thing with automatic trannys is the oil is not realy ment to lubricate. it does a bit .. but most problems with auto trannys is not bearings wearing out its clutch failiure. and the pumps are variable so if they wear a bit they adapt. and the filters take the harmfull crap out.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Oy, i'd rather it just be the pump than anything else, easy to get at and relatively cheap to replace. It doesn't lose any fluid, but it is possible that its air in the system. But would air make the pump freeze up and squeek on the belt?? It just comes and goes as it pleases, and its broken more than its not. No matter hot or cold being stopped or moving it likes to squeek and/or torture me with really spastic steering wheel movements when trying to turn...or just be really tight to turn.

Sounds like your rack is screwed.... Take it in if you have a warranty still... the dealership wouldn't let me take my car when they diagnosed it because it was a driving hazard... Go have it replaced under warranty (if you still have one)... otherwise... I'd troll in the member classified section for partouts and try and get the parts that way.

Partout that I suspect would have the parts you need: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-nj-2007-lgt-spec-b-full-partout-interior-exterior-148845.html

I'm starting to think its the rack or something. The steering is pretty smooth sometimes but whenever i'm at a light and try to turn the wheel it fights me and the seizing of the pump that causes the squeek comes and goes at it pleases. I should really give a full diagnosis. What are symptoms of a shot steering rack?

Thats EXACTLY what it felt and sounded like when my steering rack went... except it got so bad i'd be driving and when I needed to turn, it would be like I didn't have powersteering and then I did... hard/easy/hard... made driving very hard because i'd fight with the turn then overturn... pissed me off REAL quick... Lemme call the dealership to confirm they did in fact replace the whole rack and not just the pump. I'll edit this post after I confirm.

Apparently jerkholes at my dealership don't answer the service phone anymore... I try not to make it a habit of going there though...

How many miles on your car?

Same issues right a 59k miles. Dealer replaced under warranty. On the paper work they did note that the steering seems to "jump" not sure what that means, they said its nothing to be concerned about. I have never noticed any play or "jump" in the steering.

I have just about 58K miles. Fauk, I'm going back up to school like saturday and I was hoping it would just be a quick pump change to fix this crapola. I do not want to do this in a snowy windy parking lot with limited tools upstate.

No warranty on my car...and after today no worries with this problem anymore. well at least for now.

Was coming home from work today as usual and out of the blue she starts bucking really bad and the guages are going haywire then it just dies while im doing 55. I was able to jump start it back into 2nd gear (thank you perks of manual tranny) and bucked its way over to the service road where she died.

Popped the hood to see what the damage was and turns out my PS and Alternator belt fried (explains the constant squeel and stench on my dreadful 2 1/2 hour commute to work this morning which never happens with this PS problem) Buddy of mine I work with picked me up and we grabbed a belt and fixed er up and jumped it...and PROBLEM SOLVED. Power steering is like new again and not a sound from the pump. Lets see if this is a permanent fix.

• 1 year later...
I am having the same issues, if I turn sharp at a dead stop to pull out of a parking space I am getting a slipping noise and jolting feel in the steering wheel cold or warm. Got the cold start up squeal too, I was wondering if the ps pump is bad or just a belt issue? I don't know.

No solutions posted in this thread?

Hey as the above "Quoted" member mentioned, I have the EXACT same symptoms right now :(

Dead stop, slowly turning wheel or tight/slow turning for instance out of a parking spot, parallel parking etc.. Wheel turns perfectly, and then suddenly as mentioned above, I bet the very brief and sudden screech/squeal followed by the slight steering wheel Jitter/jolt and then back to normal... Can replicate pretty easily... otherwise normal driving with normal forward momentum, turning is a non issue, no noise/sounds/jitter/jolts nothing

Thoughts?

As a side note, I'd like to mention 2 things... This was NOT an issue until recent, and I just had my belts replaced recently, practically brand new... I also noticed the PS fluid was relatively low, and hasn't really been serviced, power steering pump has "Wet/Moist" look surrounding and on the pump (Blah) and car has approx 100k on it

For good measure here's some close ups looking down directly on or around the Power steering pump... What I'm seeing and you can also see the new belts...

P.S. Brought it to sears just in case it was something as simple as Belt tension.. They said the belt was def tight enough... That was about the most input I got from them though :mad:

IMAG1332.thumb.jpg.34cbba3bc7b8af9e1dd2a7f1c484a597.jpg

IMAG1331.thumb.jpg.08d7388f1fce19a05f34b6f9b770689f.jpg

IMAG1330.thumb.jpg.132854d65b0b468d67a409b4ce8d18af.jpg

IMAG1329.thumb.jpg.3900b7493e1ef57f9c33f3be6319946f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
No warranty on my car...and after today no worries with this problem anymore. well at least for now.

Was coming home from work today as usual and out of the blue she starts bucking really bad and the guages are going haywire then it just dies while im doing 55. I was able to jump start it back into 2nd gear (thank you perks of manual tranny) and bucked its way over to the service road where she died.

Popped the hood to see what the damage was and turns out my PS and Alternator belt fried (explains the constant squeel and stench on my dreadful 2 1/2 hour commute to work this morning which never happens with this PS problem) Buddy of mine I work with picked me up and we grabbed a belt and fixed er up and jumped it...and PROBLEM SOLVED. Power steering is like new again and not a sound from the pump. Lets see if this is a permanent fix.

That was my solution

Sent using a porkchop sandwich

• 2 weeks later...
Mine looks like it's leaking fluid near the actuator down by the steering control valve near the end of the steering column or the pistons themselves. Anyone else have this? Fluid is also brownish not red. Nothing leaking from pump itself from what I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

So my own little update....

I went and had sears do a power steering flush real quick, and the guy really worked the steering wheel back and forth for some time during the flush... It was ridiculous the amount of screeching and shuddering I know and heard it was doing. After about 10 minutes, the steering wheel moved from lock out to lock out (On the slick garage pavement) without any squealing. So definitely an improvement! :)

Now I still get the same little shudder in the steering wheel from time to time when making very tight turns "Parking" etc at Zero speed/stopped. But it's very seldom and I'd say 95% better! Still annoys me that it's there at all, and still makes me consider whether I should replace the pump anyway, or maybe try doing another system flush... But for now it's much better.

Thanks... yea thats what I'm thinking... Got the fresh fluid in there, broke things up a little, but still a little "Tired"

I'm going to start looking around to see about finding a replacement, that I can add to the growing pile of parts I plan to replace soon :lol:

I'm so annoyed that my pump is BARELY reflecting symptoms of squealing or shuddering in the wheel after the power steering flush, it's ALMOST perfect, except for those one off occurrences when I get a REAL QUICK little stutter/squeak in tight turning when cold normally... Makes it SO hard to justify dropping the cash on a new pump, but I HATE when shiit isn't completely running right... Hmmmmf

I wonder if going and getting a gallon of ATF, and just running the shit out of the pump with the drain line off and just working the pump would possibly resurrect it to near perfect operation getting rid of whatever crud may be left in the system....

Or at 99k miles, maybe I just suck it up and replace it ha.

sure the belt is tight enough ? is it worse right after cold start up when the alternator is charging a lot ?

Yea the belt is rock solid, very little play, probably like a half inch or something... I mean the pump is showing plenty of visible seeping... So I'm sure it could use to be replaced. I guess I'll just let it ride for now, and start planning on replacing it... Just sucks, cuz it's SO close to working perfectly and 5x better after the flush lol

Archived