LegacyGT.com

05 stock wheel looks the best

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are kidding right? :icon_neut

Ok...what's wrong with the offset?

Is that what causes the wheel bearings to wear in some of these cars ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Offset is a given figure, for instance 55mm on the Legacy.

On the Impreza 53mm.

Only with this offset the wheel/tire is exactly in the wheel geometric center, so steering happens in the exact 'middle of the wheel.'

Cause of looks, and/or because the right offset is very often not available, some people choose for another offset.

This will allways have negative side-effects however.

In most cases one chooses a wheel with a lower offset. (Subaru is known for a very high offset)

When on the Legacy for example a wheel is chosen with a 45mm offset, steering happens 10mm out of the exact middle of the wheel/tire.

Consequences?

Yeah, for sure.

-Accelerating in bends/corners your car will have a strong tendency to pull back to straightout.

-Under heavy braking in bends/corners the car will react very nerveous ('searching' left-right) for the same reason. Especially on wet or on the limit and high speeds, this can give effects you really do not want.

-Your steeringrack has more difficulties to turn in both wheels, which is feelable in the steeringwheel. It just steers heavier.

-Your wheelbearings have more load on their outer side, and ware out faster.

-Your wheel may hit the wheelarches in corners.

Off course one can take a few mm of the stock offset to a certain level, so the side effects are not a big issue yet.

For the Impreza (stock 53mm) we keep a minimum offset of 48mm.

Only 5mm one would say.

I have droven with both, and to be honoust, I was surpised when I went from 48 (O.Z. Corsa Gold) to 53mm (O.Z. Prodrive P1).

The car was far more balanced, both straightout, as in corners.

No matter how you turn it, the offset is a given figure on a car.

The wheel geometric center is like the diameter of your pistons, it's a given figure.

Using a different offset will always have drawbacks.

Dutch, thanks for the explaination. I have known that different things can happen as you change the offset. But not to the extent that you explained it.

I also didn't know what our offset was.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Boostin I have to toss the OEM wheels on for a bit. Thanks for making me throw up in my mouth. Not looking forward to it.

...nothing wrong with the offset IN 1974

FIXED! :lol: (I know not at all the same but still funny as hell)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2wf78ux.jpg

You will probably also like the looks of a bolt of lightning standing on the roof of the highest skyscraper, but what stops you going there?

I'm just saying that I haven't noticed any of the issues that you have mentioned. With that being the case, I like the looks of my wheels and the offset creating a borderline flush look is appealing to my eye. That appeal is greater than any noticeable differences in handling for me personally.

It's cool; I'm with the band

+45 on and 18x8 wheel. A full 10mm different than stock. To be honest though, I have only run crappy all seasons (stock re92) and winter tires on the stock wheels, so I never really pushed it hard through turns on them.

Since I went to my +45 offset, I've also added 25mm sway bars front and rear and lowered the car. All of which improve handling more than the different offset probably decreased it.

It's cool; I'm with the band

I'm in the same scenerio. I love my factory five spokers. I might get them stripped and polished this year and maybe add a 2-5mm shim behind them.

Thought about it but the 225 tires on these wheels poke out. Rally armors are a year round mod for me.

oh and I compared my 18x9.5(cast wheel) with 225s to the factory 17s with 225s

stock wheels were heavier...

OEM wheels are heavy cause some of us live/drive down roads like these. For that road I would drive to the left of that car when possible.

http://media.cleveland.com/pdextra/photo/lakeview-road-rantjpg-59347ccc0e55b5d2_large.jpg

OEM wheels are heavy cause some of us live/drive down roads like these. For that road I would drive to the left of that car when possible.

http://media.cleveland.com/pdextra/photo/lakeview-road-rantjpg-59347ccc0e55b5d2_large.jpg

Hey, is that Corktown in the D? No, wait... maybe that's Woodward! No, no... GOTTA be Gratiot! Or is it, oh hell, all the roads in Michigan look like that!

It's common knowledge here in Europe the infrastructure in the USA is very bad. There seems to be no money to have roads, bridges, and viaducts etc. replaced for new stuff.

I could not believe what some of my colleagues told me who went there for a week, having a medical siminar.

It's a sad fact there is A LOT that should have been replaced more than 30 years ago.

Still I cannot believe my eyes when I see this road, omg...

Any idea what the idiot Bush has cost you civilians, and still cost you by having a 'war' in the middle east that should never have happened in the first place?

You could have the best roads in the world.

http://costofwar.com/

It's common knowledge here in Europe the infrastructure in the USA is very bad. There seems to be no money to have roads, bridges, and viaducts etc. replaced for new stuff.

I could not believe what some of my colleagues told me who went there for a week, having a medical siminar.

It's a sad fact there is A LOT that should have been replaced more than 30 years ago.

Still I cannot believe my eyes when I see this road, omg...

Any idea what the idiot Bush has cost you civilians, and still cost you by having a 'war' in the middle east that should never have happened in the first place?

You could have the best roads in the world.

http://costofwar.com/

Come to America before you make such judgements about our country. We don't talk shit about your country. Actually, nobody even talks about your country. The USA is over 200 times the size of your country and has less than 1/10th the population density. Of course there are going to be some roads that aren't perfect.

Most of the roads/infrastructure that you speak of are the responsibility of local governments, not federal, anyways.

Thanks for derailing the topic, BTW.

Archived