LegacyGT.com

K&N Typhoon or Perrin Short Ram Intake?

atcheng

yeah, I was really looking for the superficial whoosh sound without investing in a new BOV. Can I get that from a new uppipe?

No but your turbo will spool up faster. Did you remove the intake silencer?

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Yeah get the Uppipe and do the intake silencer removal mod :D
Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

yeah, I was really looking for the superficial whoosh sound without investing in a new BOV. Can I get that from a new uppipe?

Remove silencer. and get the Perrin panel filter (drop in) plenty of sound. The dyno chart looks like they had a crappy base run 187whp sounds a little low from what I've seen..

Yeah, I've removed the intake silencer, still not loud enough (Apparently I'm going deaf). Trying to do this as cheaply as possible...Guess I'll try the panel filter next

losses > benefits [/Quote]

What are some of the losses?

The panel filter makes a big diff with the sound your looking for. You can't just take off the silancer bacause as you found out, it really doesn't make a diff. the thin-ness of the panel filter allows more volume from the blow off...

What are some of the losses?

K&N users seem to have more MAFs go bad. The oil from the intake coats the sensor and could ruin it. Some Nissan guys supposedly solved this problem by leaving the filter out of the box for a few days and then installing it, but IDK.

having the maf sensor (actually with the bl chassis its map) that close the "cone" is absolutly terrible... air has not smoothed out yet to be read properly... the stock intake+avo filter is the way to go until cobb comes up with something.

K&N users seem to have more MAFs go bad. The oil from the intake coats the sensor and could ruin it. Some Nissan guys supposedly solved this problem by leaving the filter out of the box for a few days and then installing it, but IDK.

i'm not a fan of oiled filters, because they don't filter as well as the stock ones, in addition to the oily MAF sensor, and the fact that i'm just lazy and would rather throw the old one in the garbage and just replace it, as opposed to cleaning, drying and oiling.

if you must get the mad tyte sound and performance (or lack of), you can at least use a shop vac to suck the extra oil off the filter (in the direction of actual airflow) before installing it.

if you must get the mad tyte sound and performance (or lack of), you can at least use a shop vac to suck the extra oil off the filter (in the direction of actual airflow) before installing it.

Is this a serious comment?

Trust me...taking any of the manufacturer designed amount of oil out is a bad idea. This will lead to unwanted elements entering your engine.

As for which is the loudest. The Perrin is by far. Its the only one with the foam element.

Is this a serious comment?

Trust me...taking any of the manufacturer designed amount of oil out is a bad idea. This will lead to unwanted elements entering your engine.

this is the "extra" oil tha will get sucked in the engine and foul your MAF sensor. the filter remains "oiled" - you are just sucking off the oil that isn't absorbed by the gauze media - unless you can oil a filter *perfectly*. :rolleyes:

i had K&N fipk on my lightning and when i changed my 80mm maf to 90mm maf

my 80mm maf didn't have any "extra oil" on maf sensor

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

this is the "extra" oil tha will get sucked in the engine and foul your MAF sensor. the filter remains "oiled" - you are just sucking off the oil that isn't absorbed by the gauze media - unless you can oil a filter *perfectly*. :rolleyes:

503-643-4677 ....here is the Perrin support line. Ask for jeff, he is the top tech. This is of corse if you still don't believe me....

503-643-4677 ....here is the Perrin support line. Ask for jeff, he is the top tech. This is of corse if you still don't believe me....

i'm talking about K&N-style gauze n' oil filters. i don't know about foam filters, so i probably wouldn't try it on those.

Archived