LegacyGT.com

Grounding mod? Ha, not! HELP!

So I started to do this "grounding mod" I put one set to the strut tower and one to the alternator.

After I did that I went to test it. Put the negative battery terminal on and it made a huge shock. So I took it off. Took of all the ground wires I put on.

Put the battery terminal back on. Nothing. No power to ANYTHING. So I go and have the battery and alternator tested. Battery was fine. Alternator was not.

So I replaced the alternator. Still no go. I checked my fuses. All were good except for this "Fusible Link" so I went a got one. Still NOTHING!

What in the hell did this wonderful and GREAT grounding mod now do to my car?

Or maybe I think I screwed it up! I put the grounding wire on the top part of the alternator where the black rubber piece is. I think I was supposed to move it somewhere else. ANyways what should I look for?

• I Donated

Did you run a ground wire the the 10mm nut on the alternator that the wire is coming off of? If so, you caused a HUGE short because thats a positive charge wire (not ground)

Check all your fuses and fusible links. You probably blew some of them and maybe you toasted your battery.

I did the grounding mod on mine. I rad one to an upper radiator hold down, one to the body, and a third to the strut mount.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Yeah. Everything is fixed. The alternator went out. And I didn't rewire the fusible link properly. Until I fixed that it wasn't running.

So my idiot self put it on the wrong spot and blew out the fusible link and the alternator. Alternator was under warranty.

All is well now.

• I Donated
Yeah. Everything is fixed. The alternator went out. And I didn't rewire the fusible link properly. Until I fixed that it wasn't running.

So my idiot self put it on the wrong spot and blew out the fusible link and the alternator. Alternator was under warranty.

All is well now.

Thats what I thought happened when you said you went to your alternator. There really isn't any way you can screw up on a grounding mod unless you ground out on a positive lead lol

oh well. shit happens and you learn from it better luck next time

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

I just used scrap sound system wiring to do my grounding mod.

Buying a kit for it is a waste of money.

Aparently the subarus have poor ground connections, so adding more grounds helps out a lot of things. I noticed that everything electrical in my car works better now and I have a smoother idle....I would say its worth doing

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
i was having problems with my sub cutting out in my car when i had the volume up at about 75% and it hit heavy bass.....I have the sound system grounded out on one of the rear seatbelt bolts (sanded to bare metal of course). After I did my grounding mod it didn't cut out anymore.....and my lights don't dim when the system hits either.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived