LegacyGT.com

Crappy windshield replacement job

nice! don't the Gheys drive Cobalts? :lol:

not that there is anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

This thread has made me worry about my rear window.

It hasen't been replaced since I've owned the car (~10 months), but since the temperature has been consistently between -10 and 20 degrees my rear window creaks whenever I hit a bump until the cabin warms up.

Anyone else's car (rear window) do this?

and more importantly would a dealer/mechanic/glass shop be able to do anything about this BEFORE the window cracks? I can't imagine a rear window being cheap with the heating element, antenna, and tint..

Unless they're making them differently now, I would NOT specify the OEM glass. I had to have the windshields replaced on my two '08s within just a few months after delivery. You can find enough comments on this site alone to see that the originals were crap. The installers (did a great job in a half hour in the parking lot outside my office) used Pilkingtons both times and they have held up great.

Well, I called the shop.

Car was done yesterday, slept inside overnight, was test-driven by the shop owner, no rattles, it seems, the moldings are all tip-top (or so he says), and he found the cause : the windshield did slide down and to the right about 1/8", which threw the moldings' fitting out of whack, and the windshield rested on a stopper and it cracked when I hit a bump.

So now I supposedly have a new, rattle-free windshield with perfectly flush-fit moldings and wipers that are adjusted correctly.

Thank God I bitched about it. If I had been a woman, none of this would've been settled.

I just discovered that the crackling noise on the passenger side was coming from the loose windshield molding on the passenger side. Previous owner had replaced it a year ago and obviously they didn't glue it properly.

Since it has been flapping for a while now, water/snow had been seeping (or pouring) into it all this time. Should I be worried about it? (rust or something?)

I'm planning to go to a glass shop and get it properly glued, but I want to know whether they need to first take a look at any rust, rather than just gluing it for their convenience, without looking.

Yes you should worry about rust..... Problem is that if water is seeping in , the frame is rusting un-seen until it spreads past the window area. ( that's what happened on my 97 Maxima.....see my previous post ). The rust I SAW on my car was the size of a dime.....when they took the glass off of the car , it was rusted ALL around the frame.
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Oh darn....does that mean I should take the whole windshield out and check for rust?

I think they glued the windshield part alright...just the molding came off so I don't know if it really did get into any body parts.

Wonder how much they would charge to check the rust...

Oh darn....does that mean I should take the whole windshield out and check for rust?

I think they glued the windshield part alright...just the molding came off so I don't know if it really did get into any body parts.

Wonder how much they would charge to check the rust...

Unless you see evidence of something ( like rust or raised paint ) I would probably just let the window sit as is........If something does happen----it should be up to the insurance company to step in to fix it. I am assuming the windshield had been replaced thru your insurance and that they guarantee the work. :). Removal of the glass requires a lot of labor....at the very least they would have to clean off all the adhesive to remount to the car after inspecting. Just keep an eye on it , and know that someone can be held accountable for any possible damage should it occur. (again...assuming the work was guaranteed )

Man, I've created a monster here...

But if it prevents other people from having to deal with what happened to me in my 99 4Runner, all the better.

What happened with the 4Runner ?

What happened with the 4Runner ?

Long story short, I bought it used in early 2000. The windshield was cracked, but the dealer selling it said they would replace it for free, and they did.

Fast forward, I dunno, 6 years or so, I notice some slight rust around the windshield. Nothing huge, but all around it. I decide to have it fixed by a reputable body shop. He glanced at it for like 5 seconds and said «that's gonna be trouble; everything could be rotten under there; I might have to do some metal work».

Sure enough, he told me that when he removed the old windshield (which, thankfully, didn't crack), about 2 inches worth of sheetmetal from the roof came with it. He had to redo it, and repaint all the way down to the base of the A-pillars (which meant removing the front fenders, fender liners, etc...).

Cost me 750$ for what I expected to be a simple touch-up job...

It's only later that I put 2 and 2 together and figured that the windshield was to blame

Archived