LegacyGT.com

Rotas with Kuhmo MXs on the GT wagon...pics added

WRXTom

Rota Subzeros with Kuhmo MX tires were used on my WRX wagon (cheap, light, not bad looking). I put them on my GT wagon this weekend. Weight comparison (bathroom scale so numbers may be off by a pound or so)...stock wheels / tires = 42 lbs, Rotas with Kuhmos = 36 lbs. After some time behind the wheel it is obvious that upgraded tires are going to be required. Front end bite into turns is greatly improved and there is less squirm in high speed sweepers. Saving 6 lbs per corner has obvious benefits. Also, efforts by Subaru to improve sound insulation are obvious. The Kuhmos were annoyingly noisy with the WRX but are not bad with the Legacy. A cheap, sticky tire but not one I would buy again. Visually, I prefer the chunkier look of the stock wheels or something like a Prodrive P7. I will likely put winter rubber on the Rotas and new summer tires on the stockers. But, the lighter wheels are the logical choice for the performance tires. I need to think about it. Tom

The MXs seemed to have worn a unevenly which is causing noise. When they were new they were quiet. I aligned and rotated them so I am not sure why the odd wear. One of the reasons I won't buy them again is that I don't have a clear answer as to why the problem which means I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening again. Fantastic dry grip though. I did also have a set of Kuhmo 712s a few years back and I had no issues with them other than being a mediocre tire. Tom

Guest *Jedimaster*
^^^ :lol: ^^^ While we're on this topic, did you replace the valve stems in your wheels with the ones from Subaru so the tire pressure warning light goes off?

WRXTom: With the 48mm offset, do you see any possibility (on the Legacy wagon) of the tire hitting the fender lip under a worst case scenario, such as the steering at full lock and the suspension fully compressed?

[url]http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDQ1ODU5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg[/url] I don't mind the look of the Rotas. The stock wheels definitely have a more sophisticated look. I'll keep the Rotas on for the summer which is how much tread I have left on the Kuhmo MXs. Not sure which wheels I will use next winter. Tom

[quote]do you see any possibility (on the Legacy wagon) of the tire hitting the fender lip under a worst case scenario, such as the steering at full lock and the suspension fully compressed?[/quote] I have to take a closer look at it but it seems similar to the WRX in that rubbing might be a problem only when lowered. I think it will be a tight fit for 225 width on a lowered Legacy. [url]http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDQ1ODU4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg[/url]

The open spoke design makes them appear smaller. The performance from this wheel / tire combo is much higher compared to stock so I can't see me taking them off at this point. Plus, I have about 50% tread left on the Kuhmos and I want to get my money's worth out of them. I'll likely make the Rotas my winter wheels after this summer. Next summer I will put performance tires on the stock wheels. Or, if I upgrade wheels it would be to save weight since I quite like the look of the stockers. I wonder how much I can sell the stock rubber for? Tom

Guest *Jedimaster*
Nice pix! I think they look pretty sweet. BTW, if you need a host and one of the free services is down, PM me and I'll host 'em for ya.

Archived