LegacyGT.com

HID install questions

06LegacyRBP

i know this has been brought before but i cant seem to find the exact answers...does everyone here who has installed HIDs on their low beams drill a hole in their dust caps? Ive seen that you can do it through the oem gormet..which is the way i would like to go...so if any has suggestions or have done it witout the drilling in the cap please advise! i am looking to install some soon....and are xentec brand any good? i would also like to know what brand you have and how long have they hold up...thanks everyone! :)

Just drill the hole in the back of the cap. Mucho easier and if you go back to incandesant lighting just buy a rubber cap to cover the hole.

4300K 35w DDM kit, sweet light output. I love them. People who ride in my car usually comment on the lighting.

you can get through the grommet for an arguably 'cleaner' install, but it takes some more work (much easier to manuever with lights out of car). how one fits it through is a matter of preference; either a small slit and a dab of silicone after, or wires tucked by the edge of the grommet (i've had both without moisture issue).

go with the 4300 (and strongly consider 55w) ;)

thanks for the input underpower...sounds like im leaning towards 4300k..what brand do you have and how long has it lasted?

i ran ddms for a long time, and have gone through a few sets. in my experience the 35W ballast lasts for about a year-year and a half on average. the 55w generally lasts longer than that, and the output of 55w puts the 35w to shame. sure there's warranty, but who wants to deal with all that.

i bought my first 55w ddms over 2 years ago; i have 3 sets going right now in 2 cars, and never had 1 issue -- my two 35w sets went like clockwork, with the accompanied ballast ignition problems later in life.

i had 4300k, the color was perfect once the bulbs were broken in; pure white -- if you want 'blue,' go with 5k. i've since retroed, but i kept my 55w ddm ballasts -- i love em.

best luck with the decision.

In my experience the 55w bulbs run too hot for the 05-09 LGT lamps.

I see plenty of melted housings from bulb heat generated by 55w set ups.

I am old and blind. 35w HID is an ENORMOUS upgrade over stock. If my tired weak eyes can use them, there is no reason for 55w HID.

If worried about longevity of ballasts and starters DDM does have a lifetime warranty (that they actually honor). But there are brands known for higher quality, they just cost more.

I run HID's. I use a "custom " set up. Philipps bulbs (4700k) that have been modified for a H7 connection and fit. Then I have Phillips ballasts and starters. 35w.

I paid about $300 for my set up.

I just saw a RX 330 kit with everything but ballasts and starters sell for $275 in the classifieds.

So, a true OEM style HID set up is getting cheaper too.

DDM can be had for CHEAP. I can buy 4 DDM kits for what I paid for my 1. I actually install mainly DDM on all the lamps I send out that are HID. DDM is the number 1 selling brand. Probably because of price. They do have occasional failures, but they actually stand behind the warranty. They are also about a 35 mile drive from my house. So that helps too.

Before I went custom I used a Extreme kit I purchased from a forum vendor. I was very happy with it as well. Very good performance. Used for 2 years with zero issues. Paid about $150 for it. Also 35w.

I currently run a 35w DDM kit (3000k) in my fogs. No issues so far.

I bought Diode Dynamics 35w w/ harness. I had 4300k then I switched to ebay 5000k cause 1 bulb was giving me problems afer 1 year. Like sprank said 35w is really bright w/ 4300/5000k, I had 8000k and they were a bit better then stock but a lot of blue.

By comparing to oem hids on other cars on the fwy, my ebay 5000k are still yellower, but the distance is very good. 1 problem is on accel the car either squats or lifts and the beam shine upwards (even though they are pointing downwards not straight)

I used the stock wiring locations to wire the HIDs but if one fails or giving me problems it will be harder to replace. And I had a friend that got haggled by a cop for a bunt out bulb in socal (it just burned out on him)

Ive seen 3 ways. Drill cap, notch the bottom of the cap, or use oem wiring route

Also from what I read on here, DDM 35w are dimmer than other 35w.

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Cool thanks for all the info if 55w lasts longer that's something I would go for...did u get yours from the website underpower? Or a vendor?

55w ddm ballast definitely last longer in my experience, and i've personally had no issues with heat in any of my fairly long-term apps.

i've gone both routes with orders; oliver (xenon expert) was always on time with whatever i needed in my dealings with him. if you want a harness (as the cost more/less evens out that way), a relatively more prompt shipment, and any sort of customer support, i'd order from him.

ordering straight from ddm is somewhat cheaper if you just want a bare bones kit, but i find shipping time is a tad lazier, packing a bit chancier, and customer support nebulous at best.

Like i said. I live 35 miles from DDM. I just walk in. I have ordered and had it shipped. It saves me the drive, LOL. Usually shows up next day. But, they do run out of stock frequently and you then have to wait a week or two.

I have also used Oliver here on the forum. Nothing but good things to say. Never had any issues with his service or products.

Like i said. I live 35 miles from DDM. I just walk in. I have ordered and had it shipped. It saves me the drive, LOL. Usually shows up next day. But, they do run out of stock frequently and you then have to wait a week or two.

I have also used Oliver here on the forum. Nothing but good things to say. Never had any issues with his service or products.

i hear ya, you guys out west get all the perks :)

i've run into a few of those in-betweens, where the container hits customs, etc. then i got the wrong bulbs in an order once. my luck with ddm source has been like 50/50.

OP: genuine philips stuff is top notch and very often oem (have been using their bulbs for a while now in my setup), but there are a lot of counterfeits out there (especially ballasts), so as a rule, if it looks to good to be true...

In my experience the 55w bulbs run too hot for the 05-09 LGT lamps.

I see plenty of melted housings from bulb heat generated by 55w set ups.

I am old and blind. 35w HID is an ENORMOUS upgrade over stock. If my tired weak eyes can use them, there is no reason for 55w HID.

If worried about longevity of ballasts and starters DDM does have a lifetime warranty (that they actually honor). But there are brands known for higher quality, they just cost more.

True, but you're forgetting one thing. OEM HID ballasts are a TRUE 35/50w while mostly ALL aftermarket, except morimoto, are not. Most 35w aftermarket ballasts run anywhere from 20-30w with 55w kits running 40ish-48ish.

An OEM setup at 35w is definitely "enough". But if I were going with DDM, I'd go 55w, as members have shown the 35w kit is not much an improvement over stock.

"This is an adventure."

I've seen some philips hid kits on ebay...anyone have any exprience with philips? They have a good rep from what I know... :)

If it's a true OEM out of a vehicle, then it's good. If it's simply labeled as a "Philips kit" it's junk.

Search for "Hella ballast". Thats what Toyota/Lexus use as their ballasts. Real ones aint cheap though.

"This is an adventure."

Archived