LegacyGT.com

toying with selling my legacy

Hahaha the sexy gt-b wagon one? I'd love it! I think that's a fair enough trade.

More bites, this is interesting. Looking into possibilites of audi or bmw if price is right (older awd ones of course), but you can't beat subaru for reliability, awd, and fun in my opinion. I'm not sure how the newer cars stack up, but...I don't want to leave this forum quite yet!

What other options have you guys found for an awd 5 speed sedan besides the ones from subaru, audi, or bmw?

Dude your car is way to nice to part with. I would look for a wreaked subi and do the 5spd swap. There is tons of info on the internet about how to do it.

How long do you think a swap would take, and (ballpark) cost?

My parents are against this, especially my dad who says it's a waste of time and money. It's going to be like hell to try and convince him otherwise, but I have looked into swaps. I'd love to take on a project like that, but I don't think it's in the future for this car with all things taken into account :(

If you can find a running manual legacy for cheap you could really swap both transmissions and be out nothing besides time. Otherwise I think you would find the transmission and everything for $1000 if you waited and look hard enough. Time wise probably 2 solid days you could swap them if you had everything you needed and knew the steps needed. If you did a complete swap with another running car, 5 days, including wiring harnesses. Or do like justin and part the other out.

Too bad it's all the way across the country haha. I've never dropped a transmission, nor do I really know my way around a wiring harness or anything like that. I'd love to do this, but I'd be afraid that I would get way too in over my head, you know? Is it one of those things where I could learn along the way and not get snagged too badly if I use resources like friends and online information?

I'm leaning a little more towards keeping her at this point. If the price is right, then things could move forward. But, right now I'm afraid I won't get the cash needed to pick up another car swiftly and in decent running condition. Everything is tentative, so we'll see.

A tranny swap has very little wiring needed to make it work. Really all you need is the NSS to make it start. To make it run better you have to ground out pin 81 on the ECU, really easy to do, pick up a MT ECU for the fuel maps, and wire the reverse lights, also way easy. The rest is mechanical. You would prep the new tranny and wiring before you do the swap. iluvdirt posted a really informative thread on here about the swap. I used it to fix the swap done in my car without one question for him lol.

I am not trying to convenience you at all lol

Cool thanks! I've browsed that thread before, and he did such a comprehensive search through everything and did it right, which is very important :cool:

I understand man, it's just a tough topic to wrap my head around. Each way has its pros and cons, and the grass is always greener I guess. I'll keep you guys posted.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO your dad may be saying it's a waste of time & money but my guess is, given his muscle car history, he really wants the two of you to keep going with this.

My advice:

Do the AT->MT over semester break.

Be done with the car's appearance unless something falls in your lap.

Performance mods rule from here on out.

I'd seriously consider front/rear skid plates (this is New England after all).

Then add any bits that you can score for easy money

End with a chip tune to really take advantage of the mods

Drive it all summer then get rid of it (unless you don't of course)

Of course, if you want to sell it in the Pacific Northwest, I'll drive it there pretty cheaply (@buyer's expense of course).

Or you could sell it there and pick this rare beauty FS on VWVortex

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4980272-FS-1989-Jetta-GLI-HELIOS.-ABS-brakes-Euro-amp-rare-parts-lots-of-new-parts-look

Meh, not a fan of the vw's, but it was an option :)

NO SELLING FOR ME, things will stay the way they are, and I'll move on with mods and shit. A mt swap is due up in the future, probably over the summer break, so stay tuned! And I'm working on the MSD coil pack upgrade right now :spin:

Archived