LegacyGT.com

Pontiac rear suspension clunking

My woman has a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. When we go over bumps the rear suspension is kind of clunky :/ I figure it's the suspension at least. I've heard possible sway bar or bushings, but that seems like a weird opinion to me cause I figured the bar's either good or not and the bushing wear out or they dont.

Anyway, if anyone has any clues about what it could be let me know. It's mainly when you go over really slow it hits hard when the rear suspension hits a speed bump, but it'll do it pretty loud when you hit a bump at higher speed too. I doubt it's anything in the trunk, but tonight's the first time I've heard it and it gets dark before I even get home these days :/ Thanks guys :D

Definitely sounds like an endlink issue. Moog units are much beefier than the stock ones, I think they are around $50 for a pair (but don't quote me on that).

Also make sure that the strap that holds the bar/bushing in place isn't torn away from the subframe piece... I had that issue on a 2000 GTP I used to have.

And FYI, the swaybars can go bad in those cars; mainly it's the front ones as they break near the endlinks (water gets inside and starts to corrode them; since they are hollow they don't take much to break).

+1 for the endlinks. They're cheap and easy to replace. So are sway bar bushings. Also check the condition of any other bushings you see under there.

You can also bounce the car up and down and wobble it side to side to try and recreate the noise. If you have someone else try wobbling the car around while you're underneath it you might be able to pinpoint the noise. Just don't squish yourself.

Archived