LegacyGT.com

Picked up a used CV axle for my 90 legacy wagon. What you think?

I would not use that. Honestly its worth buying a new one. I got mine for like 40 bucks each at NAPA. I couldn't bring myself to trust a used CV. How much did you pay for that if you don't mind me asking?

$25. for my car they are $80 new at every auto parts store ive checked (Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, Napa). ive got no choice but to use it, ive got motor problems i am still trying to fix, and i keep dumping more and more money under the hood of this car.

Ya I was going to say just replace the boots especially because its a used CV and you don't know how rough the car was driven.

Again I would like to stress that the little extra money for buying a new one vs the used CV and maybe a boot kit is very worth it. I looked at NAPA's website for NC area and they cost 50 bucks and if you give them a core (you can even give them the one you just showed us with bad boots) you don't have to pay the core charge.

Another thing to consider is when you take stuff apart to do this be very careful with the balljoint because if you rip the boot on that you have to replace it as well.

I found this real quick, I know its for a different car but maybe the trick used will help you get your balljoint out. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RbVQ1dk6is]Here[/ame]. What I did was bought new CV's and balljoints and I used a fork like this one and hammered it in between the control arm and steering knuckle and hit down on it really hard and it popped it free. I only used this method because I was replacing the balljoints, this method will destroy your old joints. Another method I have heard of but have not tried is to unbolt the steering knuckle from the shock housing and pull it out thatway but you will need an alignment that way.

Oh one more piece of advice is that whatever method you use to get the balljoints out be sure to leave the castle nut on a few turns so the control arm doesn't slam down it pops your control arm bushings, trust me I found out the hard way.

Like Jeff said...

CV Shafts are a dime a dozen now. If you're going to tear the suspension apart to replace a CV shaft you want to get one that you know is going to last. Replacing the shaft isn't that hard, but spending a little tiny bit extra is well worth the time you'll save if you have to do this job again within the next couple years, nevermind buying another shaft.

I can understand trying to do stuff on a budget but there are times for that and times for buying new stuff

i picked a hobby that is for people with money and a job. unfortunately i'm not one of those people, i'm just trying to get by with school and trying to get a job with no avail. Work has never bothered me, iv'e spent countless hours doing work on cars worth less than most peoples cell phones. If this CV fails me, ill tear it down, find another used CV, and stick that one in, that is if the car lasts me that long. I just sold my 88 mustang for scrap thats why i had money to buy this car and fix a few things on it. Should i reboot this CV and regrease or just go with sliding the boot back into place?

i just actually looked at the pics closely... that CV is garbage. It's got rust/dirt all in it. It's bent from someone prying on it.

At a minimum, you would need to take the boot off. Clean it out completely, reboot it with fresh grease, and then pray the CV joint isn't damaged from the condition it was in

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I've bought quite a few used CV axles (wheel hubs also now that I mention it) from junk yards. I've never had a problem with them. Half the time you find a junk Legacy the person before you changed the axles recently so usually you get new-ish axles for $15 instead of $70. If it were me I'd look in junk yards, but I wouldnt use that one.

Anytime I get used ones though I always check and make sure the boot is in good shape (not dried out, ripped, cracking) and so far I've had good luck :D It's all in what you can find. Usually ones without the green paint are ones that were replaced already and those you'll find are going to be your best bet.

I've bought quite a few used CV axles (wheel hubs also now that I mention it) from junk yards. I've never had a problem with them. Half the time you find a junk Legacy the person before you changed the axles recently so usually you get new-ish axles for $15 instead of $70. If it were me I'd look in junk yards, but I wouldnt use that one.

Anytime I get used ones though I always check and make sure the boot is in good shape (not dried out, ripped, cracking) and so far I've had good luck :D It's all in what you can find. Usually ones without the green paint are ones that were replaced already and those you'll find are going to be your best bet.

thanks man. i'm gonna be making a trip to the local Pull-A-Part and see what kind of parts i can strike up on. looked today at the CV in my car that isn't making noise and seems to be ok, and noticed that the boot closest to the transmission is held on by a hose clamp. however its not the one giving trouble so its staying like it is.

Archived