LegacyGT.com

Impressions from recent test drive of GT Ltd. 5EAT

Got a call from Schaumburg Subaru (suburg on the outskirts of Chicago) that they finally got a GT Ltd. in the show room. Went in and the sales person asked me if I wanted to test drive the Black/Black model sitting in the show room. Of course I said yes. First impressions sitting in the car: The steering wheel feels just right, the interior quality is very good. Better than my current IS300. Once thing I did notice is the car feel a bit narrower, less hip room than my current car. The seat felt nice was quite comfortable with decent side bolstering. Off on 20 minute test drive: Fired up the engine and the needles on the gauges are definitely super cool. I was surprised at how quiet the car was at idle. I tried to feel for the vibrations that was discussed for the engine but did not notice any. After a short hop to the gas station to gas some fuel, we were off. The engine/transmission were very smooth, although it took a few minutes for me to get used to throttle of the turbo engine. Definitely feel strong power surge at around 2500 rpm. After a bit of practice I was able to accelerate pretty smoothly. It's tough not to speed in this car. It did not take long for me to get up to 60. The ride was very compliant and quiet. The car felt a bit floaty intially, but after a while, I would have to say it's on par or better handling wise than my IS300. The Subie took turns very flat and felt quite nimble. The brake felt a bit grabby at first but was easy to modulate and confidence inspiring. The car I drove came with the subwoofer. I can definitely feel the bass from the driver's seat. Not sure if having the subwoofer will cause the car to develop rattles down the road. The audio system was pretty good. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to bring a CD along, just listened to the radio. Back to dealership: Since it was a slow day, the dealership was willing to deal. They offered to give me $21000 for my IS300 which had a blue book value of about $17800. On top of that, they knocked off 1500 off MSRP on the vehicle. Unfortunately, black was not my color of choice and I was not ready to make a purchase so I had to walk away. Overall, it was a very positive test drive. The car is a lot of fun and the performance is quite addictive. I can definitely tolerate the narrower seats but my main dilemma are the Z-rated tires. I've heard plenty of bad things about the Potenza RE92's but I am also concerned about the driveability of this car in the Chicago winter. I am not a big fan of having to put on snow tires in the winter. I am more than happy to compromise with solid all season tires. So at this point, I am still not sure if I will end up with the Legacy. I just made my last lease payment on the Lexus and will need to find something by 7/21. Right now, it's down to the Legacy, the Infiniti G35x, or the Acura TSX. The TSX has everything I want except the power and AWD. It's more practical and has FWD advantage during winter driving. The G35x has great engine and dynamics but the interior is not so great. The TSX and Legacy both have better interior. The Legacy definitely has all the performance and luxury that I need, but I do question having Z-rate All Season tires on the car. I do have a set of 205-55-HR16s that I use for snow, would they work for the Legacy as winter tires? Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. The next step for me is to get insurance quotes and look at resale value for the three cars. Sorry for the longish post.

I wouldn't let a set of mediocre OE tires sway your decision in getting a vehicle. I've also compared the G35x and TSX and have similar conclusions as yourself. The RE92s should be okay while they are new in the snow. For an incremental investment, you could buy a set of good all-seaons like Dunlop SP5000s and make a world of difference. BTW, could you post more of your impressions on the performance of the 5EAT over here? [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1127[/url] I'm trying to get a summary of people's opinions on this transmission. Thanks. Ken

Are you running all-season tires on your RWD IS 300? I bet the AWD Legacy will perform better in the snow...and also better than the TSX. The G35x is something else though. This car is definitely a step up from the Legacy (regarless of opinions about interior quality), and has a much better warranty. Brace yourself for 75$ oil changes however! What people don't like about the RE 92s seem to be their summer performance. They could be more biased towards bad-weather driving and actually not too bad in the snow.

[quote name='crapy']can u share some experience on the differences between B4 and ur IS300? i am considering an IS too...[/quote] Overall, I've been very pleased with the IS300. There's enough power for most everyday driving and the exterior styling is still pretty sharp. In terms of handling, it's quite sure footed. The IS300 feels heavier than the B4, it probably is, I have not checked the specs yet. In the short test drive I had, I felt the B4 was more neutral in corners and less floaty. From a ride perspective, there's a bit more road feel with the IS300 and I heard more road noise from the tires, could be due to age and wear of tires. The B4 was very smooth and quiet. The interior of the B4 is definitely more modern and luxurious. The IS300 had solid interior although a bit too much plastic. The seating position and comfort is nicer in the B4 and felt narrower. In summary, IMHO, the Lexus has more German feel to it. The weight of the vehicle, the dynamics, and feel. The B4 felt very solid as well, very nimble and tossable. Although lacking in pure speed, the IS300 is a very competent sports sedan. I would definitely consider getting another one if not for a new model coming out in 2005 - 06. Also, although this may not matter for sum, I think the Lexus brand still carries a bit more prestige and is synonmous with was high level of quality. Good luck with your choice.

[quote name='BernardP']Are you running all-season tires on your RWD IS 300? I bet the AWD Legacy will perform better in the snow...and also better than the TSX. The G35x is something else though. This car is definitely a step up from the Legacy (regarless of opinions about interior quality), and has a much better warranty. Brace yourself for 75$ oil changes however! What people don't like about the RE 92s seem to be their summer performance. They could be more biased towards bad-weather driving and actually not too bad in the snow.[/quote] I am running Pontenza RE040 for summer and Dunlop snows for winter. That's one of the hassles I am trying to avoid for my next vehicle while understanding the compromises of all season tires. Just got an insurance quote as well today, the G35x was about 70 cheaper for 6 months than the B4. Not a big difference but interesting nonetheless.

the more power you have, and the more you use, the more you need snows. i found the r92's totally inadequate in the winter and got a set of dunlop winter sports. i don't know how long you like to keep cars, but if you're going to keep it for a while then the oem tires should really not be a big factor in your thinking.

Archived