LegacyGT.com

After FMIC install, compressor surge?

I ran a FMIC with a Forge BPV and then a Tial atmospheric. That sounds to me like the Forge when it was cycling open/closed to divert the pressure away. With a FMIC, you have more volume of pressurized air, so it can cause this behavior. Your video sounds fine to me.

You don't think it sounds exactly like the gobble in the video of compressor surge?

I threw on a turbosmart hybrid bov.. I think it's 50/50. Now it works perfectly during full boost/ WOT... however, I will get chirps and rarely a gobble/ doodoodoo under light boost and normal driving.

I keep hearing it's no big deal, so I suppose I don't have to run out and by a GFB TMS response... however, the advantages listed above are definitely intriguing!

It sounds nothing like the video that bnguyenbb6 posted of true compressor surge

Oh, thank goodness it doesn't! That would certainly ruin my weekend!!! Lol

My fault, I was definitely referring to the video posted by M Spank at the top of this page... the "flutter" sound, not the stalling, giving up on life sound in bnguyenbb6's video. Sorry for not being more specific.

In my experience a BOV/BPV will "flutter" more with a stiffer spring. The advantage is that it will not crack open during spool-up and it will also not open as easily at low boost (differential), like you might be experiencing. The best solution is to run more preload so that it opens fully at high enough pressure differential but does not open too easily.

Spot on bro... I like what's posted here about gfb, not leaking under boost... the adjustable pre-load and venting options are what I need, but the ease in which the TMS response does this is awesome. Really like the turn of an Allen wrench design over taking it apart and cutting springs method.

"Tuning your bov/ bpv" is something I didn't really understand until now that I need to have one I can tune.

Archived