LegacyGT.com

FMIC and Water

kirbwrx

It may be difficult to clean out the cooling fins of mud and crap that ends up in the inter-cooler galleries :lol:

Yes, but whatever you do, don't wash it with soapy water! :eek:

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I just didn't know how much pressure went through the intercooler. I know there are no issues with a tmic but wasn't sure with the fmic since it could potentially be submerged while driving.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I just didn't know how much pressure went through the intercooler. I know there are no issues with a tmic but wasn't sure with the fmic since it could potentially be submerged while driving.

I think you need to WIKIPEDIA or HOW-THINGS-WORK "intercooler".

What does an intercooler do? It chills flowing, compressed air.

The turbo BLOWS into the intercooler. The compressed HOT air travels through the intercooler. It conducts heat thought the metal of the intercooler (hence the need for fins to maximize the surface area) allowing cool air flowing over the fins/intercooler to carry the radiant heat away.

The intercooler HOLDS the pressure from the turbo and transfers it to the engine. If the intercooler had holes in it the turbo would vent all its boost to the atmosphere, not transfer air to the motor.

FWIW water has a far superior thermal capacity than air and if you could flow cool water over your intercooler it would run much more efficiently than cool air.

Even though I feel like an ass for asking the question, I am glad I know the answer now. Thanks for not being too harsh on me. Oh and I did understand how an intercooler worked, just wasn't sure if it was remotely possible for it to suck up any water to the throttle body. Since I see it cannot, I might end up going FMIC now. Thanks again.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Archived