LegacyGT.com

fixed exhaust leak, new problems

So my buddy and i took off my headers today and replaced the gaskets (grimspeed and they blow) to fix the leaks coming out of all 3. put the headers back on took it for a drive and all of a sudden under hard acceleration im getting a crazy whine, sounds almost like bad belts, fine. so we replaced the front 2 accessory belts. drove again and the whine is still there. if i rev in neutral its nonexistant, but under load and hard acceleration its loud as hell, with windows down its unbearable. he thought it was the intake sucking in air but sounds nowhere near what an intake should. any ideas? we were convinced belts were going bad but obviously thats not the case. timing belt hopefully not?

Check for a leak on the TMIC. I found that a qt paint can will plug the air inlet hose off the air filter box. Then take the hose off the blow-off valve and put about 10lbs of air into it and listen for leaks. Don't put to much pressure in the hose or you could blow off other lines.

The OEM TMIC are known to leak and make a loud whistling sound. Trust me, been there done that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^GS gaskets basically ARE oem gaskets. They are made the same. The GS 12-layer gasket is TOTALLY awesome. It is like 3 OEM gaskets magically mated together.

I am wondering if you loosened everything up enough. Even a GS Gasket can leak if not mated up just right. I had a similar problem with my car. Needed to be all loosened up and realigned.

Wish I had taken a video of my leak whine/whistle at the time.

2 of the new gaskets looked nothing like the GS, solid piece, the uppipe/header gasket looked like the GS

i actually would think the whistle was awesome if i new something wasnt wrong. taking it in tomorrow morning see what can be done. LALGT, if my TMIC is f'ed how are you liking the racerx FMIC, figure im going to get a FM at somepoint. instead of wasting money on a TM ill get rid of just invest into it now

If you want to run a STI style turbo (I run a vf39) go for it. If you want to run LGT style I would consider all options. If you want to run LGT style turbo, your power goals are probably not beyond 400whp. RacerX is more than adequate for most power applications.

Any FMIC not made with brackets for mounting (in a TMIC car) is going to have wear issues. Rubbing or shifting of the FMIC causes it. What that means is, it is that a floating FMIC must be dealt with every time you change your oil. If you fabricate up a few brackets/mounts the RacerX would avoid much wear and would not cost much. RacerX does not have brackets because it was made by Bryan to work with a lot of different parts profiles and can fit with a fair amount of variance.

An aftermarket TMIC such as is not going to have this "wear-problem" and some members here have gone to the dealer with a aftermarket TMIC and the dealer did not even notice. Thats pretty stealth! If you are going to go FMIC, the RacerX is a good way to go but, like any FMIC in a OEM TMIC car, it is not going to be "perfect". Likewise a TMIC in a turbocar is less than "perfect" when compared to a FMIC.

Really, I would need to know more about your maintenance habits, budget and power goals to give you a detailed, personal opinion.

found the problem, no boost leak but yet another exhaust leak. gasket gave out at the uppipe/header causing a "fluttering sound" under hard acceleration. ridiculous noise thwarted!!!!!!!!!!!!

my power goals are between 450-500 whp, more realisticly top end 400's. maintenance pretty much goes: oil change every 3000-3500, not worrying about diff and tranny fluids as im getting ready to swap in a spec b 6 MT. budget havent really set one, kind of just going with what i can afford at the time until its finished, hoping for a slow build but once i get an idea i get antsy

OOF! Bro thats the MOST common place to find a leak. YES it is a boost leak. It only screams when you are under boost and blowing a ton of air though it. Otherwise, not a lot of air is leaking because of low pressure.

I should have sent you a link to my thread about my boost leak AT THE COLLECTOR TO UP. The two flanged gasket acts like a human jaw and the gasket becomes a reed instrument. Mine sounded like a six year old learning to play the trumpet.

Make sure to loosen up exhaust to tranny mounts so that you can REALLY align everything and THEN bold up the mounts.

If you really wany over 400whp you are going to need a built block, 6spd tranny ,etc, as you know. No sense asking me about such things. My goals are under 400whp, more realistically 360-370s on e85. That means I can keep my 5spd, my oem block and internals, etc. My friend you have a LOT of reading to do for longevity and success in your goal! Your pockets are clearly a LOT deeper than mine (cause that 6spd tranny swap ain't cheap!).

PLEASE PLEASE DO A BUILD THREAD.

i actually got the swap off a guy here for cheap, which is why i jumped all over it. All i need on my own is 1 rear axle and a few small pieces like a reverse lock out. most of the cost is going to come in during the install. the block is coming later, we arent sure which way we want to go with it yet plus i dont have the monies for it either. i think i told you this when i first joined the forum, i cant retain info from reading, so my hands on time with the work we are doing is helping. but yes i do need to figure out and read up on the best most reliable mods before jumping in feet first. once i start getting bigger ticket items on this ill make the thread. for the time being i have a journal going on here: http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105632

its just updates on whats been done and whats going on with her thus far.

I recently had a leak at the dreaded UP/mani (don't have a header). Heat and pressure blew my copper Crucial racing gasket to bits. Tried an OEM gasket and still had a leak (bent flange somewhere as well). I thought WTF and ordered the GS double thick gasket which finally did the trick.

I thought WTF and ordered the GS double thick gasket which finally did the trick.

That is an option, since my headers are borla i have a million mile warranty on em. had it on less than 1k so the first course of action is to see what the deal is with replacing it. if i have to send it to them first i may have to try the DS double and see what happens (i think we got rid of my stockers)

Archived