LegacyGT.com

The engine cover... any downside to removing it?

Trim it. Hole needs to be trimmed. Dremel works very well.

But if you trim the 'intercooler hole', won't you also trim away the 'walls' on the underside surrounding the hole? Without the walls, there is no sealing of the intercooler.

YES...you need to stick a towel in the hood scope so soap doesn't get in there. It's common knowledge on the internet that intercoolers can't handle soap and water...there have been countless threads about it over the decades. It can cause major issues. I hope you have never allowed soap and water to touch it.

Think about it....what happens when it rains and you drive past someones driveway that could have washed there car yesterday and there may be some soap on the side of the road that the car in front of you kicked up and is now on your IC...man are you screwed.

:)

Didn't know that, first car with intercooler. So if I suspect some soap went in, is it a bad idea to rinse the intercooler with water?

Until someone measures the ambient intake temp versus the outlet temp, cover versus non cover, I stand by my statement.:lol:

Use you hand. :lol:

To the OP, you may want to search "soap on the intercooler" before you keep feeding into that topic. ;) I have pics somewhere of my cover trimmed to the Perrin TM. Dremel carefully and it seals like a bullfrogs butt. (which is water tight, in case you didn't know)

Didn't know that, first car with intercooler. So if I suspect some soap went in, is it a bad idea to rinse the intercooler with water?

I would like to see a source on this claim. I find it very odd that soap on the intercooler would do much of anything. There are no moving parts, the only thing we would see is corrosion. Those pictures show one that is completely destroyed. It looks more like someone took a saw and hammer to it.

YES...you need to stick a towel in the hood scope so soap doesn't get in there. It's common knowledge on the internet that intercoolers can't handle soap and water...there have been countless threads about it over the decades. It can cause major issues. I hope you have never allowed soap and water to touch it.

Think about it....what happens when it rains and you drive past someones driveway that could have washed there car yesterday and there may be some soap on the side of the road that the car in front of you kicked up and is now on your IC...man are you screwed.

:)

why would subaru leave a big hole in the hood!?! what a horrible design flaw!

odd how this bit of internet knowledge made it past me all these years.

since its rainy season, im going to put a couple layers of duct tape over the hole in the hood and as an added precaution wrap the intercooler in black trash bags to make sure it stays dry.

maybe i should plug the mufflers too? water might make it up the pipes and get in my intercooler.

:lol:http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

ZOMG, thats a great idea!!!:spin:

why would subaru leave a big hole in the hood!?! what a horrible design flaw!

odd how this bit of internet knowledge made it past me all these years.

since its rainy season, im going to put a couple layers of duct tape over the hole in the hood and as an added precaution wrap the intercooler in black trash bags to make sure it stays dry.

maybe i should plug the mufflers too? water might make it up the pipes and get in my intercooler.

:lol:http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Dangnabit you guys. Why didn't you tell me earlier? WHy isn't this in the owner's manual?

Some soap got thru my hood scoop during this morning's wash and now everytime I hit boost, bubbles come out of my exhaust.

Do I need a new intercooler?

It does nothing but protect the engine from dust.

Dust will reach the engine anyway. So you have to remove it to clean the engine.

And if you have a FMIC it's useless. And adds weight.

But from a resale point of view it's nice to have it in place.

453747.png

Archived