LegacyGT.com

finally figured. out what I setting is for in Si drive - snow!

After a major hoonage session after a 2ft snow here I was driving through on some slippery roads home. I realized that by putting the car into intelligent mode it wouldn't hit boost and wheels would barely spin. Even with blizzaks at stage 2.5 its easy to make em spin in S and S# is hoon central.

P.s. I love passing mustangs, camaros and vettes that can't get ANY traction in the snow. I plowed through close to grille deep snow no problem!

I mode is great for snow, especially with the 5EAT. It upshifts way early

As opposed to what? The 5EAT unfortunately always upshifts way early. It is it's sole purpose in life, to get to 5th gear as quick as possible, even if it means rolling around at 15 mph :lol: IMHO 5th gear below 45 mph should never happen unless you have been cruising at steady throttle for a decent amount.

I-mode on, TCS-off. That is how I drive most of the time in heavy snow on main roads. TCS doesn't let you rotate the car if you need to.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

IMO, the throttle mapping in S# is too aggressive for really slick stuff. You barely crack into it, and it wants to open the throttle full bore.

I-mode also runs lower-boost, which means you can have your foot further in without building 15psi. Keeps RPM's up, power output down, and helps you plow through the thick bits.

A "laggy" throttle and low-boost mean modulation of the throttle is spot on. I-mode and TCS off mean you can steer the car accurately with just the throttle. Makes things nice and predictable, exactly what I want when I drive my family somewhere in the snow.

It's no substitute for a cable throttle, but it's pretty good and many of the driving tactics carry over.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

so you guys cant feather the throttle and need some fancy computer to do it for you? :p

While I agree with your statement and also happen to find SI-drive a silly gimmick, it makes sense. Especially if you're modded beyond stage 2.

I drive with large, heavy, clunky boots in the winter. Throttle modulation can be a bit more difficult with them on. Having the car in I mode definitely makes that easier. You have more leeway to accidentally push the pedal to far with clunky boots on.

With that said, I usually keep my car in S mode all the time. Dry, wet, snow, etc and don't have a problem. Maybe I'll see if I like I mode in the snow this winter, but S is usually fine and not too sensitive.

I drive with large, heavy, clunky boots in the winter. Throttle modulation can be a bit more difficult with them on. Having the car in I mode definitely makes that easier. You have more leeway to accidentally push the pedal to far with clunky boots on.

With that said, I usually keep my car in S mode all the time. Dry, wet, snow, etc and don't have a problem.

+1

I totally agree on the boot thing. It makes the car feel clunky. I have to say it was a huge help on unplowed roads.

i love I mode in the snow. when i had my car tuned i had the tuner increase the trhottle response on I, so the throttle felt similar to S, but i kept the boost down. I drive in I most of the time unless when im messing around with mustang gts(except for the new 5.0) so im pretty sure that ill be using it in the snow

Another part of the equation is the kind of snow we get here. Its called Sierra Cement. Its really wet and slushy. Not like the dry cold stuff you guys get back east. I was using I mode in 2ft of unplowed mess.

S# for me all the time, in all weather. That is unless the blue light is still on :lol: I love the instant throttle response and power on demand with the S#. The car feels weak and unresponsive in I.

you took the words right out of my mouth!

Archived