LegacyGT.com

one headlight dimmer than the other

the drivers side low beam is dimmer than the passenger side and both highbeams come on dim as well with it in low beam setting. when turn on high beams the drivers side lights turn off and the passenger side highbeam turns on. if i unplug the drivers side headlight assembly the passenger dim highbeam goes off. sounds confusing cause i am. wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

That is a clear indication of a broken ground wire or similar. I would say that it's not a bulb issue but a wiring issue unless you have a completely incorrect bulb.

The dim light means that current goes through "backwards" through other components.

453747.png

I got the same problem just the other day with my 2000 OTB. The light went out (drivers side low beam). I installed new one and when I turned on the lights, the drivers side is dim and both high beams are dim (I did not turn on the high beams). Pass side is regular brightness. When I turn off the lights the DRLs are on just the passenger side. I am going to try and swap out the light and try again. The bulb is a H1. I have heard that the OEM from dealer is the best light to get. The H1 bulb does wiggle a little bit on the drivers side. The pass side is solid. I bent the retainer clip a little to try and get the drivers side bulb to be more solid but it is still loose. I also noticed that the plastic opening in the headlight assembly seems to have gotten miss shaped. It is different then the pass side. It seems to have melted the opening alittle bit? I have never screwed up changing a head light bulb before! I just did the valve cover gaskets and sparkplug boot seals etc... Perfect job. I just put new brakes in all around and a new radiator a few months back. I know what I am doing. I am just irritated that I may have screwed the entire assembly up? Any ideas....

I have that same problem after trying to install some HIDs...only the drivers side would work....the passenger side would flicker and then shut off....put back the stock bulbs and the daytime running light only work on the driver side, but when i turn on my headlights, the daytime and headlights run together and the passenger head light bulb is dim??? is this a simple fix..or should i take it into Subaru since i still have a warranty and under 36k miles?? thanks

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I solved my problem with drivers side headlight being dim and both high beams dim without having high beams on!! The fuse under the hood was blown! It is a 15 fuse (blue). There is one for each side of car. I put in new fuse (15) and everything is perfect! I did have to put a plastic shim under the base of my H1 bulb to keep it aimed correctly. My headlight assembly was a little melted? Not sure why. (headlight assembly, dealer $325, ebay ~$70 plus Ship). I have been running lights for a day and everything is perfect and no more melting and everything is bright and no dimming! DRLs, regular low beams, high beams and fogs all work perfect now. I priced out the headlight wiring harness, $71.00. I am glad the dealer said check the fuse first. I did and that was the issue. A blown fuse still sends some power to the lights he said. That is why they are dim. I never heard of a fuse for headlights. I had a fusible link for my other cars. No fuses. That guy at the dealer saved me time and $. Rarely does the dealer help you out for free!

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the ancient bump here. But i kinda have the same issue going on. The car had a burnt out passangers light the other night, I banged on the light and poof it came on. Then the next day the drivers was out, banged on it and poof back on. Yesterday the passengers was out again and I couldn't bang it back on. Then I went out for lunch today and BOTH lights are out and I can't get them on

So I immediately went to buy new bulbs and installed them. Both are back on now but the passangers is dimmer (low beam) then the drivers with brand new bulbs in both. I don't have the highs being dim issue that you state but I wonder if my fuses are blown too and that is why the passangers is dim? Ill take a look later I guess

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Found this thread when I had the dreaded dim one-eye, on the drivers side of course.

Checked the fuse, blown. Replaced with factory spare - pop.

Bought a multi=pack @ Walmart after a visit to Radio Shack, couldn't believe how little they had in ATM sizes - lots of AGC fuses.

Replace & repeat.... pulled bulb and inspected wires around connector - chafed and bare.

Possible cause, solution?

Trying some liquid electricians tape on the leads to see if that helps...

So far so good, cycled the lights off and on with no problems.

One note; when the fuse was blown and the low beams or DRL's were on the High Beam indicator was faintly lit. When the High Beams were on the indicator light was it's normal bright self.

After repairs that indicator was back to normal, possibly a good symptom to look for in the future....

So far so good, no problems today. Check passenger side and the harness looks fine.

Ordered replacement harness today at Victory Subaru, formerly Somerset Subaru, for $37and change. Figured the repair won't last forever and it's better to have the part and not need it instead of needing it and not having it.....

Archived