LegacyGT.com

Gutted OEM DP/UP-Cobb AP Stage 2 thoughts?

GotTurboWut

Well, as I thought, Stage 1 is/was fun. Contemplating on the "least expensive" route to Stage 2. ERZ Up or gutted OEM UP ($80). Gut first cat in DP-free. Keep 3rd cat then relashed to Stage 2. Looks stealthy and w/o the cost of a dp.

Any '05-'06 running this similiar setup? Thanks

Well, as I thought, Stage 1 is/was fun. Contemplating on the "least expensive" route to Stage 2. ERZ Up or gutted OEM UP ($80). Gut first cat in DP-free. Keep 3rd cat then relashed to Stage 2. Looks stealthy and w/o the cost of a dp.

Any '05-'06 running this similiar setup? Thanks

You need to remove the catted up no matter what. Its a long-term reliability issue. M Sprank has a gutted UP service. Its (EDIT) $80, totally stealth and CLEAN. You send him (EDIT) $120, he sends you the UP immediately, you send him back your core, he gives you $40 back.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mandatory-up-pipe- replacementiii-149084.html?t=149084&highlight=pipe+service

Stage 1 is fun. If you want to go stage 2, buy an open bellmouth or it may not be worth the effort. A "least expensive" stage 2 IS just a downpipe. CNT DP offer an open bellmouth is what stage 2 is all about. IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT GUTTING CATS/GOING HIGHFLOW. That helps but if the turbo is blowing into a wall with a little hole in it, you are not going to see the same kind of gains as you will with an open bellmouth. The wall with a hole in it is the first big mechanical/exhaust bottleneck (non-tuning).

The difference between stage 1 and your "least expensive" stage 2 is going to be less dramatic than the jump from stage zero to stage 1. A DP will make a bigger difference. I am not trying to sell you things you don't need, I am just telling you that if you go to the trouble of yanking the oem DP, gutting it, putting it back on and running stock exhaust you may be disappointed.

Certainly visual-smog laws being what they are in some states I can appreciate your desire to be stealth but I live in CA (nazi smog state) and feel I can work it out.

Its $80 for the pipe. $120 total, then you get $40 back.

$40 back, because thats what I pay for cores, and $80 for the modified one because thats what STi pipes gor for used.

This is the same as an STi pipe when I am done with it. Except the inside is nice and shiny after I polish it.

Archived