LegacyGT.com

97 Outback engine Switch

Hey all, I had the 2.5L taken out and replaced with 2.2L, but the check engine light still comes, checked it out and it is caused by the EGR Value, which is in installed. Is there a way to take that code off the computer or what?

Thanks.

Is it a flashing CEL? Mine is swapped in with a 2.2, and the guys before unplugged a certain green connector under the dash to stop it from coming on. I'm not sure what the code is (never had a chance to plug in the obd reader to pull the code when the wire was connected), but maybe you're having the same kind of thing.

Hey all, I had the 2.5L taken out and replaced with 2.2L, but the check engine light still comes, checked it out and it is caused by the EGR Value, which is in installed. Is there a way to take that code off the computer or what?

Thanks.

what year, model and trans did the engine come out of??

Yeah mine is the same way with the blinking cel. If you are ABSOLUTELY SURE there's nothing wrong with the egr system, have a shop clear the code for you. I have a system called proscan on my laptop with a connector cable for around $150, and it lets you pull codes and clear them and alot more. That's what I've done for any wrong codes.

Yeah mine is the same way with the blinking cel. If you are ABSOLUTELY SURE there's nothing wrong with the egr system, have a shop clear the code for you. I have a system called proscan on my laptop with a connector cable for around $150, and it lets you pull codes and clear them and alot more. That's what I've done for any wrong codes.

Which Proscan did you buy?

Thanks.

Did you check the EGR valve itself? If even one of those tiny rubber hoses were knocked off, it'll throw a code.

There are 2 ways to remove the code:

Resetting your ecu will do this.

A scan tool with a CEL removing function will do this.

^^ If there isn't a fault anywhere in the system then he can clear it. You have to be absolutely sure of it though. When I had an exhaust leak I was getting a cel for an exhaust leak, and after I welded up a new piece of pipe I still had the code. So, I just cleared it.

cross, check this out: http://www.myscantool.com/

the parts stores will usually check the codes for you for free. but you need to ask what the code number is.

you probably have a small vac line left unconnected. follow the picture on the hood and track each hose as listed. make sure the ''stuff'' on the passenger strut tower is connected.

check the filter in the hose going to the ''stuff'' on the strut tower.

do you have an exhaust leak?

did you reconnect the charcoal canister in the front of the engine bay.?

• 2 weeks later...
In a nutshell, the 2.2 is bulletproof. It will run and run as long as you change the fluids regularly. The 2.5's major downfall was the bad headgaskets on the DOHC for the 2nd gen and the SOHC for the 3rd gen. They did a poor design for them, and they'd burn out anywhere between 100 and 150k miles (granted, some have lasted alot longer, but that's a small percentage). The people who don't know anything about an overheating engine probably ran the car continuously and warped the heads beyond repair. So, they swap in a 2.2 and forget about it. You lose around 30hp and tq, but gain alot for reliability.

I don't know if the EJ22 exactly 'loses' 30hp/tq when used in an Outback since the ECU changes it a little bit when they are combined (ECU makes the EJ22E rev a little higher & gives it more fuel among other things.) I would say about 15-20hp at best.

Archived