LegacyGT.com

Spec B owners brake ?

robertsm99

I have an '08 Spec-B and was in today to have new tires put on and during the apt, I was told my rear brakes have about 3mm of pad left and about 4-5mm on the front. I only have 36k on my car and it's less than 2yo. I don't brake hard or ride the brakes and downshift to slow down for the most part.

When did you have to replace your brake pads for the 1st time? On my '05 LGT, I went then entire term of my 4yr lease (bout 58k) w/o having to replace the brake pads. Is 35k-40k about typical for a brake pad replacement? I feel like I should get a lot more life out of them.

My 06 replaced pads around four years 60k miles and I brake crazy hard. I waited for the squeal indicators to start squealing. Rotors were fine...

Thanks, see that's what I don't get is why they are already so low, and I don't think they should be down that far for less than a 2yr old car.

I threw some new brake pads on around 35k or so without doing rotors in hopes of correcting some vibration at higher speed stops that had been present for a while. They were cheap pads and they didn't really work so I'm going to end up doing new rotors and better pads. Likely Stoptech rotors and pads.

The oem brakes just aren't that great and with the 08 Spec B having really heavy 18s as well as being heavier in general, I could see that contributing to additional or quicker wear.

I have an '08 Spec-B and was in today to have new tires put on and during the apt, I was told my rear brakes have about 3mm of pad left and about 4-5mm on the front. I only have 36k on my car and it's less than 2yo. I don't brake hard or ride the brakes and downshift to slow down for the most part.

When did you have to replace your brake pads for the 1st time? On my '05 LGT, I went then entire term of my 4yr lease (bout 58k) w/o having to replace the brake pads. Is 35k-40k about typical for a brake pad replacement? I feel like I should get a lot more life out of them.

Should be replaced under the Subaru 3yr/36mi bumper-to-bumper warranty.

And that kind of wear at the rear, especially on stock pads is really concerning - sounds like the calipers are binding and keeping the pad against the disk.

I had over 70K miles on my stock set before I switched them out for an aftermarket set. Still had ~50% Front and >70% rear

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Should be replaced under the Subaru 3yr/36mi bumper-to-bumper warranty.

And that kind of wear at the rear, especially on stock pads is really concerning - sounds like the calipers are binding and keeping the pad against the disk.

I had over 70K miles on my stock set before I switched them out for an aftermarket set. Still had ~50% Front and >70% rear

Problem is I'm over 36k though, which is what's worrying me as it won't be covered....

Having been doing brakes on subies for almost 10 years, we see a lot of cars. Some pads on subies last 80k miles. Most we have seen last in the 40k range. Rotors usually last 80k miles.

Your driving style, environment etc. will effect it however. With road racing, I go through about 1 set of HP+ a year and put about 25k miles and 10-15 track days on them.

-mike

• 4 weeks later...
Same problem hear, have 23K miles on the car and both rear pads are down to under 10%. I know that the warranty covers it, as they are being replaced as we speak, but I don't want the problem to keep happening.

after these pads just buy a really good aftermarket brand (no need for HPS if you dont need them). Subie OEM IMO isnt that great.

Archived