LegacyGT.com

So what's the verdict on Sporshift 5EAT responsiveness?

So what's the verdict on Sportshift 5EAT responsiveness with the 2.5 Turbo? Good, bad, so-so? I've read some glowing reviews of it, while others have mixed feelings. Here are some just from the this site: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=893[/url] [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=841[/url] [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=764[/url] In addition: - People who got to try out 5EAT GTs at the Vegas Ride and Drive generally seemed to have positive reviews about it. - The latest C&D review of the OBXT 5EAT generally seemed to like it, but they did list "slow transmission kickdown" in the "The Verdict" section. - I've also test driven a 5EAT and it did seem to take a second from a start or crawl. Could the break-in level of the tranny affect it's performance? That would seem to make sense for the Ride and Drive event vs. test drives from dealers lots. But then, would C&D have tested a relatively new model? Or is it just that there's a wide range of opinions on what "responsive" is? What's everyone who's driven one think? Ken

I liked it for the most part, but I still prefer a manual transmission. Granted, I've driven automatics for the most part (I have not been driving all that long compared to some other people on the forum). I plan to autocross my car a little bit, and I still like the feeling of driving a regular manual. The sport shift was pretty fun, and the shifts were decently quick. So, for a casual driver who doesn't race/autocross at all, the sportshift will be fine. I still prefer the manual transmission though, since it's cheaper and more responsive.

I've always had a manual transmission in my vehicles. I hate to admit it (maybe just to myself), but I actually enjoyed driving the GT Ltd. w/ the 5EAT. I thought it was very smooth and quick. I'd be interested to see a car mag test of the GT 5EAT (and 5MT). The 7.1 time in Car and Driver for the Outback seems a little slow. I suppose the extra 275 lbs over a GT sedan would make a difference. Chris

[quote name='powbmps']I've always had a manual transmission in my vehicles. I hate to admit it (maybe just to myself), but I actually enjoyed driving the GT Ltd. w/ the 5EAT. I thought it was very smooth and quick. I'd be interested to see a car mag test of the GT 5EAT (and 5MT). The 7.1 time in Car and Driver for the Outback seems a little slow. I suppose the extra 275 lbs over a GT sedan would make a difference. Chris[/quote] Actually it's the gear ratios, more specifically the final drive ratio. Subaru's own #'s for the base OB XT with 5MT are 5.9 to 60. They're # for the base GT sedan with the same setup is 5.8. The GT wagon in ltd trim with the 5EAT will probably be in the 7.0 second range.

Interesting. The gear ratios according to this post show that the GT 5EAT and the OB XT 5MT have the same effective gearing: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=228[/url] So, I'm wondering it the GT wagon 5EAT 0-60 would be just under 7 seconds. Ken

The 5EAT was very smooth in full automatic mode. I thought it matched pretty well with the characteristics of the turbo engine. I did not get a chance to play around with the sports shift too much but general impression was that it felt pretty solid and did not notice much shift lag.

With only the 2.0T 5EAT on offer in Oz, the results have been quite good as the car has more power than the standard WRX. When I drove a demo model quite a number of months ago, the car didnt feel that much different to my current 4EAT 2.5. The upshifts and downshifts were great but the buttons on the oval are a little close and could be messy when winding thru the twisties.

Over the last few days, I've test driven a few 5EAT GTs. I've noticed some variation in the responsiveness of the transmission and engine. Ironically, it was the vehicle with the least number of miles on it that seemed the most responsive. I'm wondering if the difference is just: A) my perception B) adaptive TCU working C) vehicle to vehicle variation Ken

Unsure Ken, I think there are so many variables it would be hard to pick one. One may have had dodgy fuel, needs a bit of time to bed in, but its good to hear that you have had a chance to test drive a few. Let us know if you find anything out.

• 1 month later...
I have 700 KM only on a 5EAT and it has definatly changed over the course of time, now even when driven in E mode the acceleration from start is brisker than before. I still think that the sports shift option is adaptive to your style and untill the engine starts to be broken in it is difficult to give a final opinion. The 5 EAT is not as quick as the 5 speed, especially off the line. The shifts and down shifts get better and better as the car gets older so I will still reserve judgment untill later. Does the 5EAT have less power in NA ?

I think part of the reason it drags off the line is from flooring it - I don't think it likes to be floored, I think the best throttle imput off the line is somewhere between 1/4 to 3/4 throttle then ease into full throttle. I believe all automatic 4 cylinders will bog if you floor it off the line - my current 4 cylinder car will barely move - it'll scream real loud and slowly get moving. Just my experience. I found somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle to be the sweet spot on my current car (not the Legacy). - Mike

I have read from previous posts that the Subaru automatics take a few thousand miles to fully break in, so impressions on a fresh car may not be fully accurate. I didn't think to see how many miles were on the cars at the ride and drive event, but I'm sure they made sure those autos were well seasoned.

A few thousand is relative, a harsher break-in will do it faster, but it may not last as long in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure some of those cars are ran fairly hard. I know at least some of the STi's used for some of the dealer training were put in the crusher after the events were over. Not sure what if anything got stripped off them, but damn! Lotta greenbacks getting crushed even though those cars were well flogged.

Wait...someone said the "sportshift" adapts to the driver. I thought even the 'soft' mode of the 5eat was adaptive. Is it just the 'sport' position (holding longer revs, etc.) that is adaptive? And finally, Is there anyone out there who bought the 5eat, has given it ample to do adapt (however long that is, I don't know) and says that they've seen no improvement?

Well, after having started this topic and driven a 5EAT GT Ltd wagon now for 1300 miles, I can say that the tranny is adapting it's shift points. When I first took delivery of the car with just 10 miles on the odo, light throttle application in "D" produced pretty relaxed acceleration. Now, the same throttle application results in a much more brisk acceleration with each gear being held up and past 3K rpms. I am quite satisified at how quickly and smoothly 5EAT shifts for me. Ken

Well the only review I've read was from CAR magazine in a comparison with the Outback's 5EAT and they weren't happy. Really, it's up to the driver's preference. I've driven a few versions of the manual/automatic transmissions and they're all pretty much the same. It's definetly not a substitute for manual. Rather it's a more entertaining automatic.

I wouldn't listen to what the magazines say about the auto. Not many motoring journalist has ever said anything good about autos. They have preconcieved idea that manual are always going to be better. It is also impossible to tell from a short test drive. I was disappointed with the auto fro the first few day. In terms of the 5eat not being a substitute for a real manual, the only area I agree with this is when launching the car from a standing start. There is no ability to increase the revs and dropping the clutch like in a manual. Once that car is going, from my experience it is as good if not better than a MT. Shifts on my GT are very responsive. In manual mode the shifts are as quick as the MT with the added advantage that the revs don't drop during gears changes. I haver alway driven manual and still own 2 manual cars, a WRX and a forester. The auto GT is as fun as the WRX. I have not lined the 2 cars up yet but I have timed each individually and the AUTO GT gets smilar but more consistant 0-60 times than the WRX. Regards John Di MArtino

Actually it's the gear ratios, more specifically the final drive ratio. Subaru's own #'s for the base OB XT with 5MT are 5.9 to 60. They're # for the base GT sedan with the same setup is 5.8. The GT wagon in ltd trim with the 5EAT will probably be in the 7.0 second range.[/quote] So what you are saying is that because of being an automatic it is going to be a full second slower. WRONG AGAIN. View this thread:[url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1300[/url] I admit you can't rev up before you dump the clutch but the gear ratio is tighter in the 5EAT, and you can always brake torque it. Like I said in the thread before, I will challenge anyone to the test.

[quote]Actually it's the gear ratios, more specifically the final drive ratio. Subaru's own #'s for the base OB XT with 5MT are 5.9 to 60. They're # for the base GT sedan with the same setup is 5.8. The GT wagon in ltd trim with the 5EAT will probably be in the 7.0 second range.[/quote] So what you are saying is that because of being an automatic it is going to be a full second slower. WRONG AGAIN. View this thread:[url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1300[/url] I admit you can't rev up before you dump the clutch but the gear ratio is tighter in the 5EAT, and you can always brake torque it. Like I said in the thread before, I will challenge anyone to the test.

Archived