LegacyGT.com

What motor do I have?

Okay, I recently picked up a 1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan for $1100. Odometer has 212,000 miles but it has had a motor swap done. It has a turbo and is SUPPOSEDLY a 2.5L RS engine with ~100,000 miles. The serial on the block is 918834. Anyone know how I can tell for sure what motor i have?

Swapping an EJ22T from a Legacy SS to an EJ25D from an Imprezza 2.5RS is like swapping a small block Chevy for a Honda B16. Its stupid and wasteful.

The EJ22T is 10,000 times better than the EJ25D.

The EJ22T that was supposed to come with that car is turbocharged. The EJ25D is not. If the car has a turbo chances are it has an EJ22T since none of the pre-2005 EJ25 engines didn't have a turbo. The 2.5RS did not have a turbo. Either someone put an aftermarket turbo set-up on the 2.5RS motor or its a stock 2.2 motor with the stock turbo. I'm willing to bet its the stock motor and someone either lied to you or had misinformation about the car and/or Subaru engines.

If you want to know what motor the car has, look on the block to the left of the alternator slightly in front of the intake manifold. It will either say EJ22 or EJ25.

If it says EJ25, you have a 2.5. If it says EJ22, you have a 2.2. Sport Sedans come with a turbocharged EJ22 & that one may have had it's EJ22T taken from it if you say a swap has been done.

EJ22E - Open deck, non-turbo, SOHC.

EJ22T - Closed deck, turbo, SOHC.

EJ25D - Open deck, non-turbo, DOHC.

EJ251 (RS) Open deck, non-turbo, SOHC.

To tell the difference between SOHC & DOHC (if you didn't know):

O=O - SOHC.

8=8 - DOHC.

Look at your cam covers from end to end to make the correlation.

To tell the difference between SOHC & DOHC (if you didn't know):

O=O - SOHC.

8=8 - DOHC.

Look at your cam covers from end to end to make the correlation.

Not to sound too offensive, but if he has enough intelligence to find the cam covers don't you think hecan figure out if the car has SOHC or DOHC just by looking at it?

And the car is probably not an EJ22D if there is even a remote chance that it might have a 2.5 engine from an RS. Even if it were possible, the casting of the block would still read EJ22.

Not to sound too offensive, but if he has enough intelligence to find the cam covers don't you think hecan figure out if the car has SOHC or DOHC just by looking at it?

And the car is probably not an EJ22D if there is even a remote chance that it might have a 2.5 engine from an RS. Even if it were possible, the casting of the block would still read EJ22.

I once met a guy who could swear up & down that his O=O was 8=8 in his Impreza because he had 2 camshafts. That's why I said if he didn't know.

No offense at all :)

Hmm, so either I really did get a car with 212,000 miles, got a "better" 2.2l motor (vs 2.5) or it's a 2.5RS with a chopped together turbo? Thanks for the answers, i'll try to go find the EJ2* stamp, anyone got a pic of it's exact location? I mostly wanted to know so I can get the right parts for it, IE just got new plugs and wires for it assuming it was the 2.5 and they didn't exactly fit...

Hmm, so either I really did get a car with 212,000 miles, got a "better" 2.2l motor (vs 2.5) or it's a 2.5RS with a chopped together turbo? Thanks for the answers, i'll try to go find the EJ2* stamp, anyone got a pic of it's exact location? I mostly wanted to know so I can get the right parts for it, IE just got new plugs and wires for it assuming it was the 2.5 and they didn't exactly fit...

You have the power steering pump, alternator, & A/C compressor in front of you when you open the hood. Look down between the PS pump & alternator onto the block. The stamp should be right there.

take a picture of the engine from the front and from both sides. also get a picture of the turbo location. if its a 2.5L with a bolt on turbo the heads will have been drilled and tapped in the heads.

post up all different angles and ill be able to tell you more. and as others said. take a picture of the block so we know if its EJ22 or EJ25. look straight down to the left of the alternator. use a flash light if need be, 212k you may have some oil resedue. so clean it off and get a good picture.

then post em all here.

Archived