LegacyGT.com

Catback for 08 GT?

LJ08GT

hey guys i have searched, but havent really found what i've wanted. I just got my 08 LGT a week ago its bone stock and i wanna hear the boxer rumble. Future plans will prob be stg2 so downpipe etc. I have a wife and a 3yr old baby girl to keep happy so i'm looking for something with no drone even when a DP is installed. Any suggestions?

I really like the HKS silent hi-power but have read that it isnt so silent and has some drone and its alot of $$$.

Like the look of the Magnaflow, but have read it gets drone as well.

The Borla i'm not so sure about it looks like the piping is a small dia.

Any ideas for me?

hey guys i have searched, but havent really found what i've wanted. I just got my 08 LGT a week ago its bone stock and i wanna hear the boxer rumble. Future plans will prob be stg2 so downpipe etc. I have a wife and a 3yr old baby girl to keep happy so i'm looking for something with no drone even when a DP is installed. Any suggestions?

I really like the HKS silent hi-power but have read that it isnt so silent and has some drone and its alot of $$$.

Like the look of the Magnaflow, but have read it gets drone as well.

The Borla i'm not so sure about it looks like the piping is a small dia.

Any ideas for me?

avo

when you say the HKS is loud do you mean outside the car? I don't mind that i just don't want any interior drone. I REALLY like the look of the HKS is it not a good fit for what im looking for?

I have a Cobb catted down pipe and no cat in the up pipe.

It is loud inside and out, especially in the rear seats.

I tried Dynamat throughout the trunk first....still too loud.

I had the resonator replaced with with a Magnaflow 4 x 9 x 14 oval muffler....better, but still too loud for my wife.

Haven't decided my next move yet. :spin:

I have a Cobb catted down pipe and no cat in the up pipe.

It is loud inside and out, especially in the rear seats.

I tried Dynamat throughout the trunk first....still too loud.

I had the resonator replaced with with a Magnaflow 4 x 9 x 14 oval muffler....better, but still too loud for my wife.

Haven't decided my next move yet. :spin:

any aftermarket exhaust will be too loud for the wife, imo...:redface:

Finding a non droning exhaust is going to be really hard. My X02s weren't too bad, tolerable and noise levels were no louder than a 4-5 on the volume knob. Even my current Prodrives drone slightly only under load(hills). My setup is a catted DP and X02 resonated mid and y. From what I've read, pick an exhaust you like and put a third muffler in place of the resonator and call it a day.

I love my GMS. Going from a 3" single exit straight pipe to the GMS was like night and day. When I first switched I HATED it. I couldn't hear the car in comparison to the straight pipe. It felt like I switched to a stock exhaust again (but I ran that single exit for a long time so idk what the hell stock is like anyway lol). Now that I'm a couple months in I love it. Quiet when at idle and cruising, but you can hear it good at WOT. Certainly quieter than my friends evo2 exhaust.

Idk why people here complain about "drone". You guys just don't know unless you tried a single exit with no cats, no resonators, and just a generic muffler.

Members here are touchy about drone. The slightest amount is unacceptable here. Where other car owners are happy to live with the sounds that come with a race type car.

Its just one of those things. The cars are marketed at a higher level of luxury than other cars. People still want to keep that level of sophistication. I admire the dedication to gaining power without abusing the sound barrier. There are many VERY expensive and fast cars that do not make a ton of noises.

Its just kind of like a "frame of mind" thing.

No drone will be tough so I guess minimal drone may be acceptable to me. Just don't want it while cruising on highway ya know. I just got out of a trailblazer SS that I gutted the cats removed resonator and was running a 4x9x14 magnaflow muffler. The drone on the highway at 2800-3300 rpm was awful. The wife tolerated that I'm just more concerned about my 3yr old daughter who rides in the back all the time.

Does that make my choices any different?

Loudness is not as bad as drone with the wife. Like I said more concerned about drone with my 3 yr old daughter who will always be in the back. Spt clips I've heard seem too quiet almost for me. Magnaflow maybe? Really like HKS but heard here it's loud.

HKS is LOUD. Big bold tips, very nice piece, but loud. The SPT might be what you want. With the daughter and all your concerns. It really has a nice ti=one. Subtle until you get o it. When it opens up, it does not roar, but you know it is aftermarket. Fit is top notch too.

A trick to getting more sound from the SPT without adding drone is to open it up. There is a 2.5" reduction at the flange so it can mate to a OEM DP. If using an aftermarket DP, have the restriction cut out and replaced with 3" pipe. I did. $40 bucks at the muffler shop, took 30 minutes. Added 2-3 ponies and made it sound meaner without drone.

I have the SPT exhaust. I can vouch for what has been said... it's very quiet and subdued but you know it's there. It's very very mellow. That's the best I can describe it. You can feel the deepness of the exhaust note. No drone at all. My wife does not complain of it at all.

just concerned the SPT system wont be loud enough and i thought a saw a thread with a pic of the SPT y-pipe or something showing something not that good? Restriction or something?

Another thing i had a Turbo XS RFL can on my 02 WRX and when i went catless it was LOUD and annoying. That being a 10 on loudness what are some of these mentioned systems at on the interior?

HKS

Magnaflow

AVO

SPT

I just don't know what to do here lol. I know people have dif opinions so its tuff i know. Sorry to be a pain just wanna make the right choice.

Archived