LegacyGT.com

'05 SWP LGT Opinion...

Hey all, I used to have a 2005 Obsidian Black Pearl LGT that I sold back in June. I bought a 2001 2.5RS track-ready coupe and while I really like the car, a potential good deal has come along. My friend's mom is going to be selling her 2005 LGT Limited 5 speed (Satin White Pearl) with 31,000 miles on the clock. The car is a 9.5/10 and she has all of the maintenance records for the car. She's 54 years old and obviously does not abuse the car. She just ordered a 2011 WRX Limited so I won't be able to buy the LGT until that comes in. I have a feeling that the market up in Minnesota will pay more than $15k for the car if I ever decide to sell - but what are your thoughts and opinions? I only ask because I would hate to buy a car that I'm going to lose money on (I've owned 3 cars and have yet to lose money on one). I'll probably put 10,000 miles on it and then sell. The for sale threads are hard to peruse because, well, I can't find anything with less than 40,000 miles in the midwest. I know what bluebook is on the car, but the market is what really determines price, not some website.

I got a 65k '05 OB XT Ltd for $14,000 in Denver, CO, 75yr old owner, full maint records but had to spend a few days chasing down mice leftovers in the HVAC. $15k for 31k car is decent price, especially if she has thorough maintenance records which mine had.

I think there will be a lot more regret and second guessing if you don't buy it, than if you do. I don't know how many of these clean ones are still out there. If you do a nationwide search on autotrader or oodle, you can get a feel for what is out there. My 05 LGT is about my favorite car of all the 21 cars I have owned since 1972.

Definitely a good deal IMO too.

But As mentioned, buying a car and expecting to NOT lose money is a bad idea. Cars are by their nature a bad investment. They are moreso a necessity. If you are in the process of buying cars and selling them in the short term, you may not be "losing money" but unless you are paying cash, the financing costs alone are a loss, not to mention all the retitling fees and such.

Congratulations if you've never lost money in the past, but don't be a bit surprised when you go to sell a car and end up behind...

Test drove it today. It actually has 30,000 miles on it. STi pedals, homelink mirror, Momo shift knob, black interior. Not a scratch, ding, or rock chip anywhere on the car.

And yes, you can buy a car and not lose money. I've done it 5 times ;)

My return on investment has never been less than 20 percent. With this car, I might not make that much but damn It's clean!

I've already gotten the money figured out so I'm going to jump on it.

Thanks guys!

If you don't buy it, I'm sure there are tons of people on here that would jump all over it. I would consider swapping my 08 back to stock and swapping the parts onto that one. Its lower mileage and MT than my 08.
It's cool; I'm with the band

Archived