LegacyGT.com

New here and having a problem

New to the board and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem. I have a 1992 Legacy L Wagon non-turbo. I just put on a cold air intake yesterday and am having problems when idling. It idles fine for about 30 seconds then it slow starts losing power(dropping as low as 200rpm) trying hard to stay alive until it cuts out. There is no problems when I'm driving down the road only when the car is just sitting. There were no problems before the cold air was installed. I'm thinking it might be a vacuum leak but I don't know where it's coming from. I took the filter off of the MAF sensor and it idled without a problem but once it goes back on it starts acting funny again. If anyone has had the same problem and could offer me advice on what to look at/try that would be great.

all your doing is creating problems putting that intake on. subarus intakes are better than aftermarket. (for non turbo cars) best bet is to put the stock intake box back in. remove the silencer in the fender and replace it with an elbow. this is the best advice you can take if you dont want to have problems.

Some people say that the aftermarket cone filters like K&N or the cheap AutoZone filters actually coat the MAF with a thin layer of oil, tricking the engine into running too lean. I don't know how true this is, and I don't think this is your problem, but its something to keep in mind.

I have a cheap-o filter and adapter on the Legacy now just because I like the sound. I could give two s****s if the filter just sucks in hot engine air, or if it messes with my MAF. Every so often I take off the MAF and give it a spray with some O2 sensor safe starting fluid anyway. For my Pathfinder I went the more expensive route. I got an aluminum adapter and a K&N 3" cone filter. I ran the vacuum line and external MAF temp sensor to the aluminum MAF adapter. You can buy a similar aluminum adapter for the Subaru at http://www.Boxer4Racing.com.

Your issue sounds more like a vacuum leak or a dirty IAC solenoid. Check all the vacuum lines and hose clamps to make sure there are no leaks anywhere. Also check to make sure you took the paper instructions out of the cone air filter before you put it on the engine. If that got stuck to the screen over the MAF it would choke out the engine pretty quick.

Some people say that the aftermarket cone filters like K&N or the cheap AutoZone filters actually coat the MAF with a thin layer of oil, tricking the engine into running too lean. I don't know how true this is, and I don't think this is your problem, but its something to keep in mind.

I can vouch for this. Everything leading from the intake tube back to the Intake Manifold was coated in black in the RS from the previous owner having an aftermarket intake.

all your doing is creating problems putting that intake on. subarus intakes are better than aftermarket. (for non turbo cars) best bet is to put the stock intake box back in. remove the silencer in the fender and replace it with an elbow. this is the best advice you can take if you dont want to have problems.

I agree with this totally. I had an 02 Corvette Z06 and we *wished* we had nice cold bumper air.

You car comes stock with a cold air intake - it pulls from the bumper, right? Now - you can improve on that flow, but a K&N cone won't really do that. Especially if you have it pulling in air from the engine bay (meaning you just traded a cold-air intake for a hot air one).

I like the K&N filters, but I can easily see it oiling stuff up - you do have to re-oil them after you clean them. Especially with the MAF right there next to it. Now I'm worried about the K&N in my Dodge oiling up the MAF - guess like I need to clean it :(

I think I'll remove the silencer from mine - good tip!

Pulled everything apart and noticed that my MAF had a thin layer of oil on there. Wiped it down and everything is perfect now. Thanks for the help

Why do people say intakes do nothing? There is a thread on Nasioc CLEARLY stating otherwise.

The oil on the Filter does cause this on Subaru's though.

an intake is fine if your TUNED for it. but putting one a subaru is pointless unless your over 300whp. just slapping an intake on is doing more damage than good.

Archived